Tom Dearden Discussion

is Blake Austin a possibility..?....hearing rumors he may look positively on a NRL option to come back to from English Super league...

Or maybe...he represents the lack of options out there so naturally gets linked to us...?

is Blake Austin a possibility..?....hearing rumors he may look positively on a NRL option to come back to from English Super league...

Or maybe...he represents the lack of options out there so naturally gets linked to us...?
He's not the game managing Halfback we really need. Just puts more pressure on Milford to kick on the last tackle. It's a no from me.

I don't understand the Dearden wraps. Ive not seen anything really out of him apart from effort.. not really a kicking game or much.

If we sign Croft as some rumours seem to suggest it is a done deal, I can't see Croft will agree to a 1 year deal, in which case Dearden won't get a look in for years and will most likely end up elsewhere.

This of course presupposes Milford goes to ⅝ as I can't see anyone else competent for this position unless Croft goes to ⅝ and Dearden starts this year at 7.

To me it seems one good option is to put Dearden at 7, Milford at 6 AND make it a condition of playing in the side that each is mentored by Lockyer and Langer. I mean, both are 2 of the best ever halves and I would assume they would agree to mentoring Dearden and Milford.

I mean how can we go wrong with Milford and Dearden being coached by 2 of the very best in their respective positions?

Last edited:
If we sign Croft as some rumours seem to suggest it is a done deal, I can't see Croft will agree to a 1 year deal, in which case Dearden won't get a look in for years and will most likely end up elsewhere.

This of course presupposes Milford goes to ⅝ as I can't see anyone else competent for this position unless Croft goes to ⅝ and Dearden starts this year at 7.

To me it seems one good option is to put Dearden at 7, Milford at 6 AND make it a condition of playing in the side that each is mentored by Lockyer and Langer. I mean, both are 2 of the best ever halves and I would assume they would agree to mentoring Dearden and Milford.

I mean how can we go wrong with Milford and Dearden being coached by 2 of the very best in their respective positions?

how...well when one of those options in the halves has already knocked back the opportunity to be mentored...

Wouldnt waste my tiem with Milf, give Dearden that time and opportunity instead...

how...well when one of those options in the halves has already knocked back the opportunity to be mentored...

Wouldnt waste my tiem with Milf, give Dearden that time and opportunity instead...

My point is how come Milford is permitted to say "Nope" to a directive from the coach. The tail seems to be wagging the dog. Not good.

As far as Milford at ⅝ is concerned, hasn't he consistently been our best player for the last few years in that position?

Last edited:
My point is how come Milford is permitted to say "Nope" to a directive from the coach. The tail seems to be wagging the dog. Not good.

As far as Milford at ⅝ is concerned, hasn't he consistently been our best player for the last few years in that position?

Fucked if i know.....obviously its not a mandatory aspect of being at the club and its not contract related...

I assume he was approached and declined....

Fine, his prerogative....what im saying is.....if you really want Locky and Alf more involved in player development then spend that time on Daerden...

Fucked if i know.....obviously its not a mandatory aspect of being at the club and its not contract related...

Fine, his prerogative....what im saying is.....if you really want Locky and Alf more involved in player development then spend that time on Daerden...

Yes, on Dearden mostly however also on building combinations. Milford and Hunt combined really well in '15 and I would dearly like to see something like that in 2020

If I was in charge Millionford would be doing as instructed. I'd have him in school uniform and Lockyer would be wearing the headmaster robes!

If I was in charge Millionford would be doing as instructed. I'd have him in school uniform and Lockyer would be wearing the headmaster robes!

.....Kinky.....
[automerge]1569207083[/automerge]
Yes, on Dearden mostly however also on building combinations. Milford and Hunt combined really well in '15 and I would dearly like to see something like that in 2020

...im afraid those days are long gone....this isn't the same Milford....it isn't the same scrum base...

Last edited:

There is no link, he was mentioned by Ikin as somebody he would chase. Great attacking option but a woeful defender. Not what we need right now.

From memory the story goes, Lockyer was offered to Milford for mentoring if he wanted it, it wasn’t forced, just a “hes here if you need”. Milford turned it down because he was already copping the “Lockyers replacement” beat up when he was signed as a 6 and so he wanted to stand on his own.

I get it, but I think he definitely could’ve used Lockyer’s help.

It's this sort of thinking that has had us playing guys like Boyd and Turpin in the halves. You can't go into a season with no reliable depth in a position as crucial as the halves because you are afraid someone might get there nose out of joint. You sign depth in the position and have them compete for it, the winner getting the first go but the others to keep pressure on them and take their spot if that is the way it pans out. This is what good teams do.

It's this sort of thinking that has had us playing guys like Boyd and Turpin in the halves. You can't go into a season with no reliable depth in a position as crucial as the halves because you are afraid someone might get there nose out of joint. You sign depth in the position and have them compete for it, the winner getting the first go but the others to keep pressure on them and take their spot if that is the way it pans out. This is what good teams do.

Plus there is no guarantee Milf will be at the Broncs for that much longer unless he likely accepts a greatly reduced salary. Competition for spots is also what the great sides are built on.

Um, I fail to see the connection between "us playing guys like Boyd and Turpin in the halves" and a recruitment scenario where we might lose Dearden.

First, Boyd and Turpin played a lot of games because of injuries to both Dearden and SOS, and when available, SOS was ignored - stupidly in my view by Seibold preferring Turpin.

Of course, the real issue is as you say a failure of vision, a failure of proper strategic thinking in recruitment years ago, ignoring the halves, resulting in no halves, a play making disaster compounded by persisting with the blinkered Macca at 9.

As far as competition for positions is concerned, great! I totally agree. Let it happen, but in that case, let's not whinge when someone like Dearden gets offered better money and opportunities elsewhere. Recruitment is one thing, retention is another. What's the basis of a sound retention strategy?

Last edited:
Plus there is no guarantee Milf will be at the Broncs for that much longer unless he likely accepts a greatly reduced salary. Competition for spots is also what the great sides are built on.

I'm keen to know. What are those great sides and what are the positions and personnel?

He isnt the sokution. He is part of the problem. And he is ginger to boot. Move him on and bring in somw proper quality - Sam Williams is available no?
You are an idiot. And I say gingers make the best NRL players. Jack Reid... Best red ever. Btw - I'm black.

I'm keen to know. What are those great sides and what are the positions and personnel?

The Roosters have an accomplished English winger who can't even make first grade.

The Storm dropped an international / SOO centre to play a better player.

The Broncs of even 06 had guys coming through.

These are just some relevant examples.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Bish
  • bazza
  • Charlesstor
  • Lewisuhahix
  • Aldo
  • Johnny92
  • Redux
  • Battler
  • RodF
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.