Top 20 Roo's of last 3 decades - Dean Ritchie

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
here is Dean Ritchie's list of the top 20 Kangaroo players of the last 3 decades

1 Wally Lewis
2 Andrew Johns
3 Mal Meninga
4 Brad Fittler
5 Brett Kenny
6 Laurie Daley
7 Ricky Stuart
8 Ben Elias
9 Glenn Lazarus
10 Darren Lockyer
11 Peter Sterling
12 Allan Langer
13 Gorden Tallis
14 Steve Mortimer
15 Steve Roach
16 Steve Walters
17 Ray Price
18 Bradley Clyde
19 Petero Civoniceva
20 Billy Slater

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/nrlexperts/

sometimes i wonder how he can be called an expert, he rates Lockyer at number 10 but Johns at number 2 :roll:

[icon_confu

I don't get this list at all.

Ritchie must be trying his hand at being a comedian, because having the great man at #10 is a complete joke.

Locky has dominated in 2 different positions

Captain the most tests for Australia

played in the most tests for Australia (52 ARL and 4 SL tests-which if counted would mean Locky holds the world record for most tests)

Scored the most tries for his country

Looking at his justification it looks more like a best Australian players of all time list, as opposed to best Australian Kangaroo players of all time list.

EDIT: By all time, I mean the past 30 years.

the point stands though, how is Johns ahead of him? How is Elias, Lazarus ahead of him? Stuart, Kenny, Fittler? Bizarre.

Dean Ritchie is lucky I can't punch him thru the PC.

What a load of bollocks.

Brad Fitler at NUMBER 4?!

BRAD FITLER!

Ahead of Alan Langer at 12 and Lockyer at 10?

[eusa_doh

Benny Elias > Steve Walters?

I don't remember the old days too well, but I thought Walters pwned Elias??? [icon_shru

Who the **** is Dean Ritchie and why the **** should I care what he says?

His list is a joke, and so is he.

mrslong said:

I don't remember the old days too well, but I thought Walters pwned Elias??? [icon_shru

Yep, to the point where in an Origin game in 1993 or 1994, Elias was getting treatment for a cut or something while they were waiting to pack a scrum. Walters said something like: "Hurry up Benny, I have a Test match to play next week". [icon_lol1.

Scotty said:
Who the **** is Dean Ritchie and why the **** should I care what he says?

His list is a joke, and so is he.

He's a nuffy. His opinion is of no more weight than yours or mine, broncospwn's or hell, even AP's :P

7. Ricky Stuart
12. Allan Langer

lawlz

Coxy said:
mrslong said:

Yep, to the point where in an Origin game in 1993 or 1994, Elias was getting treatment for a cut or something while they were waiting to pack a scrum. Walters said something like: "Hurry up Benny, I have a Test match to play next week". [icon_lol1.
[icon_lol1. 8-)

Everything about this list is [icon_lol1. Except why the heck didn't he just put Joey at #1 and be done with it? Everyone knows he is the most wonderful player to ever lace a boot. :roll:

i think a lot of those players are higher up the list because they played in a time when test matches were actually competitive. it wasnt 'chuck any 17 NRL players in the aussie team and theyll win by 40 at least' like it has been for the last 10 years, nearly every test match was a legitimate competition.

Lockyer and Co have been great, but its hard to call them the best when their opposition most of the time couldnt beat a bad NRL feeder club. im not saying Lockyer etc ARENT the best, before you all go off on another rant about something you THINK i said instead of what i actually said - im just saying that its hard to judge based on the woeful opposition during their playing days compared to the older times.

AP - Tests are much more competitive than Origin these days. Don't let the mish mash mid-year Test fool you, when it comes down to a series the other teams (especially NZ) lift big time.

Big Pete said:
AP - Tests are much more competitive than Origin these days. Don't let the mish mash mid-year Test fool you, when it comes down to a series the other teams (especially NZ) lift big time.

[eusa_eh Ya think? Really?

Any Origin game could go either way, and not just because one team doesn't play well enough.
In Test footy, unless Australia is a little bit off their game and NZ/GB play their best, Australia will win and usually win well.

Even the 08 World Cup Final, I think it's fair to say it was Australia's worst performance of the tournament, particularly defensively.
Tri Nations final 05, Australia decimated by injury and played absolutely shit.
On both occasions, NZ played very very well, and as such got the chocolates.
You just need to look at the 2004 Tri Nations final to see what happens when the Kangaroos play at their best!

In Origin, if QLD and NSW play their best, it's touch and go who will win, and likely come down to luck and 50-50 calls. If Australia and NZ play at their best at full strength, Australia would still win 80% of the time I'd say.

I'm not knocking international footy. I think it's fantastic. I love it and wish it had a more prominent place in the season schedule, but to suggest it's much more competitive than Origin is a stretch to say the least.

[eusa_eh Ya think? Really?

Yep.

And I disagree with that statement. Unless Queensland play poorly, NSW can't hope to jar a win.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.