Top 25 for 2009

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Well apparently (according to the Broncos mag and a poster on another forum) this is the top squad for next year.

Gerard Beale, Joel Clinton, Israel Folau, Aaron Gorrell, Tom Hewitt, Justin Hodges, Josh Hoffman, Ben Hunt, Karmichael Hunt, Nick Kenny, Darren Lockyer, PJ Marsh, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Steve Michaels, Corey Parker, Lagi Setu, Ashton Sims, David Stagg, Dave Taylor, Ben Te'o, Sam Thaiday, Will Tupou, Peter Wallace, Palmer Wapau

Very youthful, very few props and no Yow Yeh surprisingly. I still think he's in with a shot of the vacant wing spot though, it's between him and Hewitt I reckon.

I reckon we need to get rid of either Stagg or Parker. And I keep saying it but ffs we need a good prop. Why don't we go after Adam Blair or Sika Manu, steal one of melbournes fob front rowers.

Wow, so our front row consists of Clinton, Kenny, McGuire, Taylor and....Thaiday? Sims? Youch, that's marshmallow stuff.

Also surprised with Yow Yeh, but I think it's a red herring. I doubt Beale, Hewitt and Hoffman are all really ahead of him.

The ommission of Yow Yeh damn f*cking well better be a red herring.

If he doesn't get a shot in the top grade in 09, he won't be with the Broncos in 2010.

Although not in the 25, i know that the prop from the Jets Aaron Sweeney is training with them also.

Also - In the broncos mag where I read the 25, it goes on and says something about players not in the 25 being eligible to play and that it is a requirement by the NRL that each club lists its top 25 highest paid players at this time of the year.

I thought you could actually do a list of 30 to play NRL. On top of that, there are also clauses that excessive injuries/suspensions/rep selections could force clubs to dig beyond their top list, and that can happen without penalty.

IIRC, the Bulldogs and Cowboys used 30+ players in first grade throughout the course of 2008.

From what I read and remember, the mag said that the NRL makes every club name their top 25 highest paid players. But come season, other players who aren't in the 25 can also play. Similar to what you said.

Yeah, isn't that how Reece Robinson got a gig? He wasn't in the 2008 top 25 IIRC.

Everyone talking up Yow Yeh, remember the Hoff was the next big thing......

I've been saying it for awhile, TYC (IMO) isn't a realistic guage of a player's ability. The Broncos aren't doint Yow Yeh any favours playing TYC, he should be in QRL.

Hammo said:

I've been saying it for awhile, TYC (IMO) isn't a realistic guage of a player's ability. The Broncos aren't doint Yow Yeh any favours playing TYC, he should be in QRL.

He will be playing in the QRL this year mate. The club has stated that most players, particularly those on their way up, will be used in the NYC for one year, then will move on to the Qld Cup after that.

CoxyBro said:
Yeah, isn't that how Reece Robinson got a gig? He wasn't in the 2008 top 25 IIRC.

I have no idea how Reece Robinson got a gig.

mick! said:
Hammo said:

He will be playing in the QRL this year mate. The club has stated that most players, particularly those on their way up, will be used in the NYC for one year, then will move on to the Qld Cup after that.

He looks like he is playing for Norths from the Broncos in the QLD Cup thread.

mick! said:

Disco disco, good good icon_thumbs_u

Relax guys it's just the top 25 highest paid players, those ommitted are still in contention.

I forgot all about Beale and Tupou - they're both talents who could easily fill the void in the centres or on the wing.

As for a list of Props currently training with the Broncos...

Isaak Ah Mau
Joel Clinton
Josh Coyle
Mitchell Dodds
Brendon Gibb
Ryan Hansen
Nick Kenny
Josh McGuire
Aaron Sweeney
Dave Taylor

It's a fairly scary precedent heading into next season but there's a lot of potential in that squad. It's just a question of how well these players commit themselves and if they can keep that consistensy.

mick! said:
Hammo said:

Sounds like a good plan.

Yup. Well who wants a "dynasty" in an under 20s comp? There's only so much you can learn playing against other boys. Need to test yourself against men to be ready for the NRL.

CoxyBro said:
Yup. Well who wants a "dynasty" in an under 20s comp? There's only so much you can learn playing against other boys. Need to test yourself against men to be ready for the NRL.

I agree with players staying in for 2 years or so IF they are 17-18 and IF they play in the forwards. But yeah, I think only the cream of the crop will go straight from 20's to the NRL. A few hitouts against the big boppers in the Qld Cup will do them the world of good.

Sure, there's plenty of big guys in the NYC too. But they aren't the battle-hardened, late-20's/early-30's mob who will rough you up!

Hence so many scorelines of like 30-26 etc...defence is optional.

Active Now

• Tmac
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Dreaglor
  • porouian
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Tim K
  • Skathen
  • Behold
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.