OPINION Top 30 Wages Speculation Thread

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I keep reading we should let Haas go to sign some big name player, but it doesn't make sense to me. Other clubs have a heap of big money signings and still fill in plenty of quality players, we have like 3 guns (Reynolds, Staggs, Haas) yet we need to let go of Haas to sign others.

So thought I'd do some speculating on player wages, if you have a better idea, correct me so we can guess the salary cap position.

Operating at a 9.6m cap total including vet/car allowance, etc.

I've hyperlinked salary to article if there is any with mention of salary.

Top 30:
Arthars - 120k
Capewell - 450k
Carrigan - 500k
Cobbo - 180k
Farnworth - Not signed
Flegler - 650k
Gamble - 250k?
Haas - 850k
Hetherington - 250k?
Hoeter - 120k - Not signed
James - 120k - Not signed
Kelly - 120k
Jensen - 250k?
Kennedy - 120k - Not signed
Brenko - 200k?
Mam - 250k?
Mead - Not signed
Niu - 450k?
Oates - Not signed - 300k if he stays on?
Paix - 200k?
Palasia - 300k? - Not signed
Pereira - 250k?
Reynolds 750k
Riki - 450k?
TC Robati - 300k?
Staggs - 700k
Turpin - Not signed
Walters - Not signed
Piakura - 400k

Total salary 8.75million for players signed for next year. If we replace Turpin/Walters with minimum wage players, that's another 240k leaving us at 8.99m, with 1 spot open and 0.75m to spend.

Given we have an extra 4%~ on the cap next year by moving Isaako on, that should leave us with an extra 400k on top of the 750k free as a sign on bonus to nab a marquee signing or to front load some contracts.

If you disagree with some of those salaries let me know, just taking wild guesses for some of them obviously.

It is a lot of money to play with but significantly, what big name is available to throw that cash at that you can build around AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, that we are a shot at getting? Munster isn't coming. Grant, Hughes, Korisau, Mahoney, Paps are all off the table. Ponga is not the right fit and we are in direct competition with Redcliffe and they have far more positive press around them than we do. Walsh is definitely a possibility but certainly don't want to be paying a million for a kid we should have already had.

I keep reading we should let Haas go to sign some big name player, but it doesn't make sense to me. Other clubs have a heap of big money signings and still fill in plenty of quality players, we have like 3 guns (Reynolds, Staggs, Haas) yet we need to let go of Haas to sign others.

So thought I'd do some speculating on player wages, if you have a better idea, correct me so we can guess the salary cap position.

Top 30:
Arthars - 120k
Capewell - 450k
Carrigan - 500k
Cobbo - 180k
Farnworth - Not signed
Flegler - 650k
Gamble - 250k?
Haas - 850k
Hetherington - 250k?
Hoeter - 120k
James - 120k
Kelly - 120k
Jensen - 250k?
Kennedy - 120k
Brenko - 200k?
Mam - 250k?
Mead - 120k
Niu - 450k?
Paix - 200k?
Palasia - 300k?
Pereira - 250k?
Reynolds 750k
Riki - 450k?
TC Robati - 300k?
Staggs - 700k
Turpin - Not signed
Walters - Not signed

Total salary 8.35million for players signed for next year. If we replace Turpin/Walters with minimum wage players, that's another 240k leaving us at 8.59m, with 1 spot open and 1.15m to spend.

Given we have an extra 4%~ on the cap next year by moving Isaako on, that should leave us with an extra 400k on top of that million as a sign on bonus to nab a marquee signing or to front load some contracts.

If you disagree with some of those salaries let me know, just taking wild guesses for some of them obviously.
Forgot Piakura off the list or Is he still development like Willison

It is a lot of money to play with but significantly, what big name is available to throw that cash at that you can build around AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, that we are a shot at getting? Munster isn't coming. Grant, Hughes, Korisau, Mahoney, Paps are all off the table. Ponga is not the right fit and we are in direct competition with Redcliffe and they have far more positive press around them than we do. Walsh is definitely a possibility but certainly don't want to be paying a million for a kid we should have already had.
Walsh on 700k I can see happening.

Here are the 2023 players I think we should be looking at, obviously can't sign all of them, but a short list let's say.

Ryan Sutton
Paul Vaughan
Royce Hunt
Marin Taupau
Justin Olam
Kodi Nikorima
Tom Opacic
Tariq Sims
Josh McGuire
Angus Crichton

Forgot Piakura off the list or Is he still development like Willison
Did forget, will edit post.

Willison is on a dev contract, but I don't know what that means for salary cap purposes so I've ignored it.

Walsh on 700k I can see happening.

Here are the 2023 players I think we should be looking at, obviously can't sign all of them, but a short list let's say.

Ryan Sutton
Paul Vaughan
Royce Hunt
Marin Taupau
Justin Olam
Kodi Nikorima
Tom Opacic
Hayze Perham
Tariq Sims
Josh McGuire
Angus Crichton

That's the problem, we are fine around the ground but notice the lack of genuine gun spine players in that list?

Top 30:
Arthars - 120k
Capewell - 450k
Carrigan - 500k
Cobbo - 180k
Farnworth - Not signed
Flegler - 650k
Gamble - 250k?
Haas - 850k
Hetherington - 250k?
Hoeter - 120k - Not signed
James - 120k - Not signed
Kelly - 120k
Jensen - 250k?
Kennedy - 120k - Not signed
Brenko - 200k?
Mam - 250k?
Mead - Not signed
Niu - 450k?
Paix - 200k?
Palasia - 300k? - Not signed
Pereira - 250k?
Reynolds 750k
Riki - 450k?
TC Robati - 300k?
Staggs - 700k
Turpin - Not signed
Walters - Not signed

Total salary 8.35million for players signed for next year. If we replace Turpin/Walters with minimum wage players, that's another 240k leaving us at 8.59m, with 1 spot open and 1.15m to spend.

Given we have an extra 4%~ on the cap next year by moving Isaako on, that should leave us with an extra 400k on top of that million as a sign on bonus to nab a marquee signing or to front load some contracts.

I’ve thought of my own as well and have us with tons of cap space free to spend.

Surely we aren’t planning to upgrade all the unproven youngsters who have been finishing bottom 4

I’ve thought of my own as well and have us with tons of cap space free to spend.

Surely we aren’t planning to upgrade all the unproven youngsters who have been finishing bottom 4
Yeah I seriously don't buy we have to let Haas go to sign players. I think with our squad we have at least 1 marquee signing we can manoeuvre into the cap for next year, especially with the Isaako thing.

Whether we can get anyone worth signing is another question unfortunately.

Yeah I seriously don't buy we have to let Haas go to sign players. I think with our squad we have at least 1 marquee signing we can manoeuvre into the cap for next year, especially with the Isaako thing.

I just can’t see a guy as switched on as Ikin releasing Isaako without good reason. There must be a big signing play occurring - probably an attempt at Walsh

I think they’re leaving the spot and the cap space open for a disgruntled spine player.... at this stage that screams Walsh, but dolphins will be after him as well.

I just don’t think we want to blow our load early unless it’s the right fit.

To me Walsh is the right fit... a Robson from cows also fits, on a lower salary, etc. but marquee wise Walsh is the man to me

I just can’t see a guy as switched on as Ikin releasing Isaako without good reason. There must be a big signing play occurring - probably an attempt at Walsh
Also if we did sign someone like Walsh, we are effectively swapping his salary, which let's say it's 750k, with Niu's 450k~ so it's only a 300k upgrade, no brainer really, then we should still have plenty of money to sign someone like Parcell and still have money left over for a smart signing elsewhere. Something like getting rid of Oates and backing Pereira, then using the left over money to pick up some depth in the backrow.

I think there's a lot of room to play with, so it's all on how shrewd Ikin is what the end result will be.

We surely have cap space now at one point we had Milford, Bird, Boyd all on close too or on a million.. then Pangai, Lodge, Macca, Glenn would of been high over 500k
Haas, Kotoni and Reynolds take over Boyd Milford and bird with plenty of change

We surely have cap space now at one point we had Milford, Bird, Boyd all on close too or on a million.. then Pangai, Lodge, Macca, Glenn would of been high over 500k
Haas, Kotoni and Reynolds take over Boyd Milford and bird with plenty of change
Well based on Ikins reported comments around not having to spend your entire cap we can deduct that we currently have cap space. Minus upgraded amounts and add players who move on next year, we should be in a good position.

Piakura is on 400k apparently. Willison has extended too so should be top 30

wasn't his contract on a sliding scale though. 400k was for the final year, and less in the first couple. of course it certainly wouldn't fit the media narrative

Something like getting rid of Oates and backing Pereira, then using the left over money to pick up some depth in the backrow.

I'm firmly back on the Oates train.

IMO, Seibold leaving and Walters coming in has revived Oates career. not sure i'd want to pay the reported 500k a season for him, but i'd certainly love to keep him for 350-400k.

wasn't his contract on a sliding scale though. 400k was for the final year, and less in the first couple. of course it certainly wouldn't fit the media narrative
Thats not how I recall it but you might be right. I thought it was 400p.a for 3 years

Thats not how I recall it but you might be right. I thought it was 400p.a for 3 years

That's definitely the way it was reported, but i recall one of the people in the know on here (possibly @1910) mentioned that in reality the 400k was where the contract ended, but it was a sliding scale so the earlier years weren't at 400k.

although i could be wrong

Active Now

• phoenix
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • The Don
  • Brocko
  • BroncoFan94
  • davidp
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  • MrMoore
  • Manlyman
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Hoof Hearted
  • mieko
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.