Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
    Featured
  • Staff
tevita-pangai-junior_14zz7wulcw1n31te0wai98kvhk.png

Rising Broncos forward Tevita Pangai Junior wants to stick with Brisbane

May 18, 2019

Tevita Pangai Jr says his preference is to remain at the Broncos, dismissing speculation he will eventually follow his former Brisbane mentor Wayne Bennett to South Sydney.

The off-contract Pangai Jr did his market value no harm at all with a dynamic display to help spearhead Brisbane’s 15-10 boilover of the Roosters at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Elevated into the starting side on game day, Tevita the Terminator responded, amassing 141 metres, three tackle busts and seven offloads, including the clever second-phase pass for Payne Haas’ 16th-minute try.

Pangai Jr has been consistently linked with the Roosters at a time when the Broncos’ salary-cap space is gradually being chewed up by the retention of Joe Ofahengaue and Corey Oates’ impending upgrade.

There is also a view that it is only a matter of time before the Tongan international reunites with Bennett at Redfern, but Pangai Jr is keen to extend his stay at the Broncos.

“I don’t know if there is any money left for me here, but I hope so,” Pangai Jr said.

“I’m leaving the contract stuff to my manager, but I am loving it in Brisbane.

“If I was to follow Wayne, I would have gone to Souths this year.

“I actually supported ‘Seibs’ (new Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold) to come to the Broncos.

“I wanted to make sure my defence was intact and he had coached at the Storm and coached a guy like Sam Burgess at Souths.

“Seibs’ strength is defence so I was happy for him to come to the Broncos. I’m glad the Broncos board brought him here.

“I’ll continue to work on my form, we have one game before the bye so I’d like continue my form with a good win against the Warriors across the ditch (this Saturday night).”

Due to a change of management last season, Pangai Jr had to delay contract talks until the end of 2018 campaign, forcing the Broncos to broker a 12-month arrangement.

The 23-year-old says he would have no issue inking another short-term deal as he backs himself to produce the form that has seen him dubbed Brisbane’s version of Cowboys wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo.

“It doesn’t bother me if it’s a shorter contract. If it has to be only 12 months, I’ll back myself, I don’t mind a shorter-term deal,” he said.

“Last year, the contract stuff wasn’t why my form was up and down. It wasn’t to do with my contract dragging on, it was more my hamstring problems, but this year we have done a lot of work on my hamstrings so hopefully I can stay on the field and keep impressing.

“I think I can get a lot better. Me and ‘Seibs’ have worked on our relationship in the first two months and we are starting to see some results now.

“He has pulled my minutes back a bit and said make sure you work on the little things like my carries and making my tackles.”

Source: Courier Mail

Dee

QCup Player
Sydney
Mm, not sure on resigning him.

When he's on, he's unstoppable but more often than not, he's mediocre at best. Needs to show more consistency.

Doesn't need to absolutely smash everyone in the opposing team every game but what he does need to do every game is run hard, make your tackles, play smarter with offloads and continue to show energy and enthusiasm for the entire game, that's it.

Oh, and get his body right. Particularly his hammies.

Last edited:

Culhwch

QCup Player
Doesn't need to absolutely smash everyone in the opposing team every game but what he does need to do every game is run hard, make your tackles, play smarter with offloads and continue to show energy and enthusiasm for the entire game, that's it.
Agree with this, and particularly the bolded. He needs to understand that just because he could get a ball away doesn't mean he should. Even as recently as last week he was looking to drop a dangerous ball out the back on second or third tackle on the opposition line, and I think he only didn't because it got wrapped up. This week he did a much better job of picking his moments.

Reactions: Dee

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
He was fantastic against the rorters playing off Lodge and Haas meterage and creating second phase play. Our best back row in a few years still might have him in the second row, something like: 11. Fifita, 12. TPJ, 13. Carrigan.

theshed

NRL Player
While we have more consistent forwards and forwards with greater output, TPJ is a real X factor and can turn a game unlike any other forward on our team. I hope he finds better consistency but I would really love to keep him.

If he gets his game right he could be one of the best forwards around in a few years. A pack with Haas, TPJ, and Lodge is in a great position.

Alec

International Rep
My only worry is how much money do we have tied up in our forward pack? Assuming Lodge and TPJ stay, their salaries will increase quite a bit too. You gotta have a good balance.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Knows there is no money left for him. Claims he wants to stay. When there’s cap space he wants to keep his options open.

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
I think the whole money-hunting thing has been overplayed a bit. Never seen him say he doesn't want to stay. Of course he wants the best value contract possible, doesn't mean he's going to the Roosters tomorrow.

Allo

NRL Captain
I take offence at the author giving him Turpin’s nickname

(I do not accept ‘Turnip’)

BroncsFan

NRL Player
People seem way too willing to forget TPJ is not much older than Haas. Consistency and discipline comes with age, and from what we've seen from Pangai skill wise, he is an asset you just cannot simply thumb your nose at
Very true... I must say that I flip flop between whether he should be retained, but only because I think we need $500-600k for DFif and noting we currently have 2 forwards who for the best part of the next 2-3 years could be bench forwards on $400-500k in Offa and Sua.

It's not that I don't rate Offa or Sua, but decisions need to be made on who to spend cap space on when two weapons in Fifi and TPJ are both unsigned long term.

Last edited:

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
People seem way too willing to forget TPJ is not much older than Haas. Consistency and discipline comes with age, and from what we've seen from Pangai skill wise, he is an asset you just cannot simply thumb your nose at
Exactly this. Different players have different development trajectories. On his day Pangai is unstoppable. He has the full attacking skillset - powerful runner, good feet and even better hands. One of the better offloaders in the comp. Once he clicks, he'll be a top 5 forward in the comp.

There have been a few performances of his in the last few years nobody in the comp could match, simply because he offers more than others. Better hands than Taumalolo, Klemmer, or Burgess, whilst also having the ability to be a metre eater as well.

Broncapz

QCup Player
Only concern with TPJ has been the niggles hes been dealing with recently. He's a star for sure, I doubt we can afford what hes worth at full health.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain
I'm sure if he wants to stay we can find something reasonable, but I think he's just hedging his bets, i'll stay, but only if you pay me.

QCup Player
This is where back ended deal can be the angel and the devil.

We have both Macca and Roberts off end of next year? However still Fifita to lock in.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
Mm, not sure on resigning him.

When he's on, he's unstoppable but more often than not, he's mediocre at best. Needs to show more consistency.

Oh, and get his body right. Particularly his hammies.
That was literally all covered in the article

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising