Jan 25, 2014
Tevita pangai junior 14zz7wulcw1n31te0wai98kvhk

Rising Broncos forward Tevita Pangai Junior wants to stick with Brisbane

May 18, 2019

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
7 offloads? Wow, I didn't think he had that many :eyetwitch:

Mm, not sure on resigning him.

When he's on, he's unstoppable but more often than not, he's mediocre at best. Needs to show more consistency.

Doesn't need to absolutely smash everyone in the opposing team every game but what he does need to do every game is run hard, make your tackles, play smarter with offloads and continue to show energy and enthusiasm for the entire game, that's it.

Oh, and get his body right. Particularly his hammies.

Last edited:
Doesn't need to absolutely smash everyone in the opposing team every game but what he does need to do every game is run hard, make your tackles, play smarter with offloads and continue to show energy and enthusiasm for the entire game, that's it.

Agree with this, and particularly the bolded. He needs to understand that just because he could get a ball away doesn't mean he should. Even as recently as last week he was looking to drop a dangerous ball out the back on second or third tackle on the opposition line, and I think he only didn't because it got wrapped up. This week he did a much better job of picking his moments.

He was fantastic against the rorters playing off Lodge and Haas meterage and creating second phase play. Our best back row in a few years still might have him in the second row, something like: 11. Fifita, 12. TPJ, 13. Carrigan.

While we have more consistent forwards and forwards with greater output, TPJ is a real X factor and can turn a game unlike any other forward on our team. I hope he finds better consistency but I would really love to keep him.

If he gets his game right he could be one of the best forwards around in a few years. A pack with Haas, TPJ, and Lodge is in a great position.

My only worry is how much money do we have tied up in our forward pack? Assuming Lodge and TPJ stay, their salaries will increase quite a bit too. You gotta have a good balance.

My only worry is how much money do we have tied up in our forward pack? Assuming Lodge and TPJ stay, their salaries will increase quite a bit too. You gotta have a good balance.
Especially when we need to set aside some cap for Fifita.... who is the most important re-signing

Didn't he just say a week ago he doesn't know?

Knows there is no money left for him. Claims he wants to stay. When there’s cap space he wants to keep his options open.

I think the whole money-hunting thing has been overplayed a bit. Never seen him say he doesn't want to stay. Of course he wants the best value contract possible, doesn't mean he's going to the Roosters tomorrow.

I take offence at the author giving him Turpin’s nickname

(I do not accept ‘Turnip’)

People seem way too willing to forget TPJ is not much older than Haas. Consistency and discipline comes with age, and from what we've seen from Pangai skill wise, he is an asset you just cannot simply thumb your nose at
Very true... I must say that I flip flop between whether he should be retained, but only because I think we need $500-600k for DFif and noting we currently have 2 forwards who for the best part of the next 2-3 years could be bench forwards on $400-500k in Offa and Sua.

It's not that I don't rate Offa or Sua, but decisions need to be made on who to spend cap space on when two weapons in Fifi and TPJ are both unsigned long term.

Last edited:
People seem way too willing to forget TPJ is not much older than Haas. Consistency and discipline comes with age, and from what we've seen from Pangai skill wise, he is an asset you just cannot simply thumb your nose at
Exactly this. Different players have different development trajectories. On his day Pangai is unstoppable. He has the full attacking skillset - powerful runner, good feet and even better hands. One of the better offloaders in the comp. Once he clicks, he'll be a top 5 forward in the comp.

There have been a few performances of his in the last few years nobody in the comp could match, simply because he offers more than others. Better hands than Taumalolo, Klemmer, or Burgess, whilst also having the ability to be a metre eater as well.

Only concern with TPJ has been the niggles hes been dealing with recently. He's a star for sure, I doubt we can afford what hes worth at full health.

Last edited:
I'm sure if he wants to stay we can find something reasonable, but I think he's just hedging his bets, i'll stay, but only if you pay me.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • Aldo
  • Organix
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Scorchie
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Foordy
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.