TPJ Re-Signs with the Broncos

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/07/12/re-signing-tpj-locks-in/

Blockbusting Brisbane Broncos' forward Tevita Pangai Junior has committed to a three-year contract extension.

The Tongan International has re-signed until the end of the 2022 season as the Broncos continue to lock in talent that will deliver success into the future.

Pangai Junior, 23, joins NSW Emerging Origin prop Matt Lodge, 24, Queensland Origin prop Joe Ofahengaue, Dally M Rookie Of The Year Jamayne Isaako, both 23, Junior Kangaroo prop Patrick Carrigan, 21, as well as New South Wales Origin prop Payne Haas, and young playmaker Cory Paix, both 19, who have all committed to long-term deals with the Broncos.

Pangai Junior is a true match-winner with his powerful running, slick footwork and ability to offload in traffic.

“It’s good to have my future sorted – I wasn’t planning on leaving, I love the club, and they’ve welcomed me with open arms and it’s good to call this place home for the next three years,” said Pangai Junior.

“The weather is great, the fans, playing at the best stadium every week – it’s an honour and a blessing to pull on that Broncos jersey. I’m just thankful for the club for having faith in me and backing me.

“I want to work on my preparation, this is my third year in the NRL so I want to get my stuff right off the field and get that balance right and then have no excuses when I come out to play on the weekend.

“I’m a big fan of ‘Seibs’ and the how he coaches, it’s a big reason why I’m staying. We have no excuses now, we have the best facility, we play at the best stadium, we are a proud brand and it’s an honour to be here.”

Broncos’ coach Anthony Seibold said Pangai Junior’s new contract, along with a similar extension signed this week by NSW Emerging Origin prop Matt Lodge, were a great sign for the direction of the club.

“We are locking in a really talented group of players who will be at the core of our success in years to come,” said Seibold.

“We see Tevita and Matt as key members of our forward pack, and we look forward to seeing them both step up every week to provide the platform we need for team success.

“They are in their early 20s and have a lot of great football ahead of them.”

Broncos’ CEO Paul White said: “Tevita is one of our game’s most exciting players at his best, and he too has been working hard on improving the consistency of his performances.

“He has come a long way since joining the club and we believe his commitment and professionalism will see him fulfil his huge potential in the years ahead.

"Tevita is a favourite with our members and fans and we are really happy that he has settled on a long-term contract with the Broncos.”

Last week, exciting outside back Xavier Coates, 18, also signed an upgraded contract to the end of 2021 ahead of his NRL debut in the Broncos’ outstanding win over the Sharks on Sunday.

Lets now hope with his future secured he can really knuckle down and play consistently good as he did against the sharks. I think its a decent price, but he now needs to show us that he is our Tlolo.
A good start would be tomorrow against the warriors!

He has to earn it. He really does.

I'm a big fan of TPJ but he just has to get his head right and perform week in week out.

IMO, his best position is 2nd row. On an edge running hard at smaller blokes, 99% of the time he should break a tackle and he'll be harder to stop etc. Get a quick PTB and we're off and running with momentum.

This is where incentive-based bonuses should be applied imo. 100k a year extra on performance criteria.

Either way, if he can pull his head together he can be an absolute weapon. Bring it on TPJ.

unfortunately, the issue with incentive based contracts is that they can cause salary cap issues.

if he meets the requirements, then it can push us over the cap,

if he doesn't and we don't spend the extra 100k, then we are at a disadvantage

He has to earn it. He really does.

I'm a big fan of TPJ but he just has to get his head right and perform week in week out.

IMO, his best position is 2nd row. On an edge running hard at smaller blokes, 99% of the time he should break a tackle and he'll be harder to stop etc. Get a quick PTB and we're off and running with momentum.
TBH i wouldnt mind if all our forwards ran a little wider, rather than be picked off by the markers or getting gang tackled. A bit wider we can take advantaged of offloads or quick play the balls due to forced leg tackles by smaller players

Agree with others that $600k is pretty good for TPJ.

In regards to the consistency I don't think it is a concern on his attitude, as I don't think he goes missing in games. He still averages high run meters and is getting through his work. His defense also needs serious work

I think his issue is he tries too hard or he is playing a bit too far ahead of his teammates. Often his bad games are when he offloads to no one and different things like that, but I would put the blame back on the teammates not being around him in support, someone should be there at all times when he takes a hit up.... f.ck I hope Milf rediscovers his support game and runs off the hip of TPJ all night. However TPJ does need to learn when it's on and when to hold it back.

I'm starting to think TPJ should be groomed as our left edge 2nd rower. He needs to fix his defense immensely, but he has the strength and power to be our Kikau on the edge.. he also holds the ball in his left hand (good for a left side player) and he's got ball playing to go with his offloads (remember he's thrown a few decent cut out balls).

He's definitely a talent that already has a great work ethic and attitude to work from... two things you probably can't teach a player it just has to be in their personalities. Refine his defense and some of his game awareness and he could legit be the best forward in the game

Fantastic resign for the club and player...after watching the Sharks game....im reassessing my initial reluctance for him to be a edge forward long term. We as a team need to provide the support runners to make full sue of his offloading ability's.

See Tedesco following Cook during SOO3 every time Cook made a scoot out of dummy half...someone needs to replicate that off TPJs runs....it one of those 1% plays that dont often come off but are vital to keep defences on their toes...

600k for TPJ is fucking amazing. These are the sorts for signings that the Roosters make and we all scoff at.

600k for TPJ is fucking amazing. These are the sorts for signings that the Roosters make and we all scoff at.

it only will become like the Roosters when, if we lose him, we all of a sudden claim to have a million spare in the cap to spend :P

unfortunately, the issue with incentive based contracts is that they can cause salary cap issues.

if he meets the requirements, then it can push us over the cap,

if he doesn't and we don't spend the extra 100k, then we are at a disadvantage

That only happens if useless people are running the clubs. If you have X amount to spend, and you have bonuses, you can't spent it, so you don't spend it.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Ozired
  • Footy Fanatic
  • teampjta
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • cento
  • Morkel
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.