NEWS Truth about Bennett's involvement in Boyd's four year deal

Oh joy and excitement, another fight about WB, I have not seen one of these for ............... minutes.

One thing I have learnt over many many years is that there is always multiple versions of the `truth'. I have seen this numerous times. You should see the different versions that a number of witnesses will all give of the same event that they were present at. Sometimes you have to wonder if they were all that same event. Yet, in most cases each of those people were telling the `truth' as they saw or recalled it. So whilst I agree @soup that there is only one universal truth, when you bring humans into it, you just get shades of grey.

@Huge old mate, what is completely missing from the article and from the entire narrative about Boyd's contract is any version from White, the other Broncos powerbrokers and Bennett. So, any view that you express about it (like everyone else) is not an informed view at all because you and everyone else do not have complete information to base any opinion on. The extent of Bennett's influence and involvement in the negotiation of the terms of that contract or getting the contract over the line remain unknown.

In my view, everyone that has commented on it has been commenting from a position of bias premised upon their views of Bennett.

From my recollection Boyd's contract took a long, long time to be finalised and I suspect that WB had a significant role in getting that contract over the line. Was he the ultimate decision maker? Clearly no. Did he influence the ultimate decisions makers? I believe yes.

Did he do so to shaft the Broncos? I do not believe that. He did not have a crystal ball and was not too know that there was going to be such a significant fall in Boyd's form etc. Did he do so with the intention or partial intention of looking after Boyd? Only one person knows that and we will never know.
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not sure why you're pointing out that my view is not informed 'at all' as you say. Did I say my view was? Did I ever say I had all the information? I appreciate you wrapped it up with all the others but it seems you're implying I thought my view was informed and all others not so.

FMD @Huge. You are an expert at tip toeing around the edges and not saying what you really think, then you argue about what you didn't say.

The grey area is this:

Wayne Bennett was indeed employed by the Broncos with a lot less power than he had the first time around. He still held sway, but not the firm grip on recruitment & retention he used to have. HOWEVER, the Broncos got gun-shy when the players (eg, TPJ & Haas IIRC) were coming out and publicly declaring that Wayne was the primary reason for signing / re-signing with the club. Bennett was still able to exercise power over recruitment & retention without actually needing the keys.

You're both right.

Did he do so with the intention or partial intention of looking after Boyd? Only one person knows that and we will never know.
Which for me is where common sense comes in. He is a mere mortal like the rest of us, he has faults and biases of his own. I won't say it definitively because I don't know, but we all know he and Boyd have a very close relationship. But my thoughts are to some extent he was looking after Boyd, even if it was done subconsciously. One small blip on the radar in what was a great career for the Broncos imo.

Which for me is where common sense comes in. He is a mere mortal like the rest of us, he has faults and biases of his own. I won't say it definitively because I don't know, but we all know he and Boyd have a very close relationship. But my thoughts are to some extent he was looking after Boyd, even if it was done subconsciously. One small blip on the radar in what was a great career for the Broncos imo.
If Locky and Paul White, not sure if any other board members are on the recruitment board, let Bennett subconsciously push them into offering a longer and/or more expensive deal for a player then they need to pull their socks up pretty damn fast. Every contract should be handled the way Mimis claims this one was, the coach has input on who he wants but the final negotiations should be with the CEO/recruitment team.

That way coaches aren't in the position of having to talk down their own players, plus coaches get moved on frequently enough that there's a decent chance the coach will be gone before the players contract is ended.

FMD @Huge. You are an expert at tip toeing around the edges and not saying what you really think, then you argue about what you didn't say.
Fmd, how the **** do you know what anyone thinks? I've stated quite clearly what I think. I'm also not claiming ownership of things I didn't say. Why does that bother you so? Please, seeing as you know what I really think, please elucidate.

If Locky and Paul White, not sure if any other board members are on the recruitment board, let Bennett subconsciously push them into offering a longer and/or more expensive deal for a player then they need to pull their socks up pretty damn fast. Every contract should be handled the way Mimis claims this one was, the coach has input on who he wants but the final negotiations should be with the CEO/recruitment team.

That way coaches aren't in the position of having to talk down their own players, plus coaches get moved on frequently enough that there's a decent chance the coach will be gone before the players contract is ended.
How is that you can understand things so clearly yet others struggle? Might it be because you don't have an agenda? You can see how a preconceived notion colours judgement. Start with an intense dislike of WB, everything he does is evil.

Fmd, how the **** do you know what anyone thinks? I've stated quite clearly what I think. I'm also not claiming ownership of things I didn't say. Why does that bother you so? Please, seeing as you know what I really think, please elucidate.
It doesn't bother me, quote where i said it bothers me

Totally agree, however I will point out that up until the last 6 months WB had never been moved on by anyone, he had always gone where and when he wanted with no shortage of suitors for his services. So I do doubt that was in the forefront of the board's mind.

I don't know if this question has been asked here earlier, however, would the Broncos have signed Boyd to the FB position if Bennett wasn't the coach? If not, then isn't the point here that Bennett was the reason Boyd was signed - end of story

I don't know if this question has been asked here earlier, however, would the Broncos have signed Boyd to the FB position if Bennett wasn't the coach? If not, then isn't the point here that Bennett was the reason Boyd was signed - end of story

No, I don't think it's been asked and no I don't think we would have. The point being discussed though, from what I understand, is WB's involvement in the latest Boyd contract.

Last edited:
No, I don't think it's been asked and no I don't think we would have. The point being discussed though, from what I understand, is WB's involvement in the latest Boyd contract.

Well thanks for that, and I think my point answers that question. Bennett was "hugely" involved, ipso facto by him being the coach. Otherwise, no contract.

Last edited:
D6LuiT6UcAEgbjF.jpg:large

That's really poor form. It's one thing to be a **** on the internet because it gets you lulz but to go and take childish cheapshit shots like that into real life is proper fucked. I hope the mangy cocksucker behind that takes the opportunity to have a long hard look at themselves but they'll have to pull their head a fair way out of their arse before that can happen.

That's really poor form. It's one thing to be a **** on the internet because it gets you lulz but to go and take childish cheapshit shots like that into real life is proper fucked. I hope the mangy cocksucker behind that takes the opportunity to have a long hard look at themselves but they'll have to pull their head a fair way out of their arse before that can happen.

I hope it is some Manly fan who just got a good does of karma ...

I actually find it hard to believe a Broncos fan would miss-spell Bennett

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.