Turning it around

arieals

arieals

Jun 16, 2013
With 5 straight losses, I thought it might be appropriate to create a thread about what the Broncos need to do to turn it around.

Last edited:
BLM = Broncos loss matters?

What the Broncos stand for?
Shareholders? All they care is money
Upper management? They value more on the profit than the premiership
Old players? They are laughing their ass off and trying to lure Fifita to Titans
Current senior players? They are seeing their contract out
Coaching staff? They still haven’t fix the tie between management and the dressing room

So to be accurate, that’s a big question

Cut deadwood and see if the green wood stuck under them blooms. Go full rebuild and work on footballing brains for a year.

effort, attitude and to a lesser extent execution.
Maybe they could have a former great like Shane Webcke talk to the players about what it meant to him to wear the Jersey.

Bench Boyd and Milford, move Oates, let the chips fall where they may. So many things wrong.. how about starting with some coaching basics, some semblance of structure in attack and defence.. something simple that can be begun in a week, how hard can it possibly be? (obviously harder than I thought!)

coaching:
Bring in Kevvie to coach the halves
Bring in Kearny to coach defence

Spine:
Stick with a halves pairing, and give the reigns to Dearden. Move Milford to fullback - He isn’t great there but at least we might score some points and utilise his running game (look to move him on at the end of the year. It also gives us 4 kicking options. Luke can play 80 minutes unless he’s really struggling in the back end of a game, then shift in Glenn for 10 minutes.

Backs:
Flick Boyd and Oates to never return. Surely one of the spine players can learn to place a perfect crossfield to Coates consistently. Tell Farnworth he has a minimum metres per game kpi or he gets dropped for 1 week per failure. Shift Niu to centre, apparently his more natural position, and his kick returns weren’t impressive. Pray Staggs never gets re-injured.

Forwards: Flegler and Haas to start put prop forwards in the bench and don’t force Haas to play 80.

bench: use it properly, don’t have a back and a hooker on the bench. It’s one or the other. Our forwards get too tired.

1. Milford
2. Farnworth
3. Niu
4. Staggs
5. Coates

6. Croft
7. Dearden

8. Flegler
9. Luke
10. Haas (65 minutes)
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Oates (2nd row/backline injury cover)
15. Kennedy
16. Teo
17. Hoppa (front row)

Last edited:
If they continue to only put in 50% effort on game day/night make them all come in the next day for extras at 05:00 and get the other 50% from them. Start with an ocean swim.

I gave Seibold the benefit of the doubt for a long time, I was happy the club was moving on from Wayne. His time was up.

Now the club needs to reach the same realisation with Seibold. He simply isn’t the coach for us. Whatever his strengths as a coach supposedly are, they don’t translate into premiership winning teams. They never have for him at any level as a head coach and without a squad at the top of their game and filled to the brim with superstars (and assembled by others...) and has shown to be manifestly inadequate in a head coaching role. By his own admission he has no answers. If that isn’t enough to sack him, what possibly could be?

We need a period of stability to get us back into our usual Bronco mindset of all pulling in the same direction. For that reason alone, I would give Kevvie Walters his chance. In my scenario he would get the remainder of this season and next season only, to turn things around and get us competing again.

With the players, there are clearly some rotten attitudes amongst our playing group. Seemingly it comes from Boyd but even if not, his performances don’t justify his inclusion. We have gone all in on youth, so it’s time to double down on that. Get him out and have Farnsworth and Staggs as our centres, full time, with Niu for depth. A centre recruitment should be a priority.

Coates and Oates (for now) should remain our wingers, with the club looking to recruit a solid winger to bolster our depth and put pressure on Oates to perform.

Leave Isaako at fullback, he is no superstar but he has been trying hard and is nowhere near our worst player. He has the rest of this year to develop his game and show he deserves to keep that spot. The club meanwhile can look for a genuine fullback on the market.

Croft and Milford hasn’t been working, but then their opportunities have been limited. I say Milford has more upside in him, so he stays for now, works hard with Kevvie and Alfie on his halves game and see what he can deliver. Dearden gets the halfback role fulltime, to get used to the role.

Luke stays our hooker and Turpin can learn from him.

I think we need more mobile forwards. Haas is a beast obviously and starts always when available, I think Flegler should be our other starting prop. Peter Ryan and Corey Parker can work overtime on him, reduce his mistakes and upping their defensive techniques and we will be well served for starting front rowers.

Fifita and TPJ should be our starting edge back rowers, with Carrigan at lock.

Bench:
Lodge
Teo
Glenn
Turpin / Croft

Moving forward, I think we need to bolster our centres and wingers and try and find a good / great fullback. RTS would be fantastic, but I’m not sure he would leave NZ or that we could afford him.

Other recruitment choices depends on how we progress from here. If Kevvie / Alfie can turn things around with Milford, he is worth keeping, if not, we should look to market for a genuine 5/8.

Similarly with hooker. Luke will only have a couple of seasons at best and it remains to be seen whether Turpin is the answer, or we just think he is because he is a marginal improvement on Macca.

Our basic style of play has to change substantially. We need to adapt to a modern defensive style and find a way to get some line speed into our team. We also need some go to plays we can run consistently. The team seem content with a bomb on the 5th. How the hell do we have Allan Langer in our coaching team and that seems to be our only attacking option?

Why don’t we use our famous sweeping play out to the left? Sure everyone knows it, but you run it fast enough, it still works. The defence can’t slide fast enough to stop it. They should be able to run that play in their sleep...

I’ve said it before but our club isn’t ruthless enough. Our contracts need to be far more strict and if that costs us players, so be it. It used to be a privilege to play for us, look at Isaac Luke’s current attitude? He would rather be on base wage playing for us, than more money to play for St George because he has always wanted to play for us, yet we never even looked at him years ago. This attitude needs to be kindled and supported. One way, would be to be far more selective in who we pick even if it comes at the cost of a player or two. I’d rather a team of Qld Cup players who try, than what we have now.

Linked to this, I think we need to be far more ruthless with the standards we will accept from players. Player options should be ruled out completely in my opinion. Negotiate in good faith, we want a 3 year contract etc. If every goes well we would like to re-sign for more years, we don’t do 3+1 in your favour etc. We decide who plays for us. Not the playing group, in the absence of any better offers...

This leads into accountability, as pointed out already, we have recruited and sacked multiple coaches since our last premiership and none of them, including Wayne have brought us a premiership or even consistently challenged for it. So who is it making these calls? Who are they answerable to? The owners of the club ultimately, but I think the club needs a CEO willing to make tough calls, which Paul White doesn’t, in my opinion... We don’t need to be everyone’s mate and be the supportive club if that is working to our detriment. Our focus has to be winning football games first, without cheating and everything else secondary and the boss has to reinforce that from the top down, constantly...

sacrifice 30 virgins to the gods.

failing that, sack Milford and Boyd.

tell seibold he is gone on the next loss.

sacrifice another 30 virgins to the gods.

Last edited:
Realistically other than Fifita and Staggs coming back we are pretty much stuck with the squad of 20 or so spuds that we have used so far this year so ideas about dropping this player (Boyd/Oates/Milf/Croft) and buying externally will not happen during the 2020 season.

What Seibold should do is go back to ultra basics, they are playing like under 12's so treat them like it. Give them real simple instructions like:

Boyd to make 30 meters from dummy half during the game (give him a reason to look for opportunities to run)​
Milford 5 runs per half​
Croft to earn 2 repeat sets​
TPJ 2 offloads per half (successful ones)​
Haas to make 3 dominant tackles​
etc.​
I'm sure they could come up with better examples but some really simple and achievable KPI's broken down into bite size pieces. Langer and the training staff can keep the players updated through the game to keep them motivated so get in Boyd's ear saying 'you still got 20 meters to go from dummy half Darius, look for the opportunity'...

I fear this recent crutch of 'we always thought it would take 2-3 years' and 'we have inherited bad contracts' etc is allowing an easy way out and it shows on the field. Regardless of the 17 out there it is the coaches job to get them to play to their potential by playing to and focusing on their strengths. We all know that Boyd is not going to break tackles and run 90 meters to score try's but he is showing some decent defending at times, encourage the poor bugger to build on that, get him fired up and become a hitman out wide so people are scared to run at him and take the pressure off him on the attacking side of the game.

sacrifice 30 virgins to the gods.

failing that, sack Milford and Boyd.

tell seibold he is gone on the next loss.

sacrifice another 30 virgins to the gods.

I reckon we could round up 30 players in the club to sacrafice. Maybe the Gods are Broncos fans?

Realistically other than Fifita and Staggs coming back.

Cover image jxb2084w 3000x3000 jaketurpin

If there are players in the group that don't want to play for Seibold then drop them whoever they are even if it means more losses. Culture needs fixing first.
Appoint an assistant who is a previous Bronco and who knows what the club is about. In order I would say Walters Kearney Hodges Parker.
Give things till end of the season then look at Seibolds future.
White and Lockyer need to go along with anyone else involved in these contract bungles.

Realistically other than Fifita and Staggs coming back we are pretty much stuck with the squad of 20 or so spuds that we have used so far this year so ideas about dropping this player (Boyd/Oates/Milf/Croft) and buying externally will not happen during the 2020 season.

What Seibold should do is go back to ultra basics, they are playing like under 12's so treat them like it. Give them real simple instructions like:

Boyd to make 30 meters from dummy half during the game (give him a reason to look for opportunities to run)​
Milford 5 runs per half​
Croft to earn 2 repeat sets​
TPJ 2 offloads per half (successful ones)​
Haas to make 3 dominant tackles​
etc.​
I'm sure they could come up with better examples but some really simple and achievable KPI's broken down into bite size pieces. Langer and the training staff can keep the players updated through the game to keep them motivated so get in Boyd's ear saying 'you still got 20 meters to go from dummy half Darius, look for the opportunity'...

I fear this recent crutch of 'we always thought it would take 2-3 years' and 'we have inherited bad contracts' etc is allowing an easy way out and it shows on the field. Regardless of the 17 out there it is the coaches job to get them to play to their potential by playing to and focusing on their strengths. We all know that Boyd is not going to break tackles and run 90 meters to score try's but he is showing some decent defending at times, encourage the poor bugger to build on that, get him fired up and become a hitman out wide so people are scared to run at him and take the pressure off him on the attacking side of the game.

Boyd can be dropped for Farnsworth / Nui and Milford / Croft can be dropped for Dearden. We do have options within the current playing group, but the coach isn’t trying them...

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.