TV Show Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Harry Sack, Oct 28, 2015.

Better Call Saul

Not a bad start. They always do tend to start off a little slow but based on some of the scenes, we're in for a pretty good season. I would have preferred they kept going with that taxi scene. I'm not a patient person, I hate getting little bits of it over time. That guy definitely recognized him.

holdzy89 likes this.
  1. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Interesting idea I came across last night after the episode - are 'Gene's' scenes happening before or after the finale episode of Breaking Bad? Saul left before Walter if I recall. Who would be looking for Saul at that point in the time line?

Good opening episode, Mike's scenes were awesome, and an ice cold ending.

2. Watching Matt Groening’s new series Disenchantment and it's pretty good, it's sort of like Futurama meets Game of Thrones(fantasy setting).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    morethenjack likes this.
  3. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

New series of Rake starting now,......let the fun continue

KickHaas and soup like this.
  4. Not a bad start to season 4 of Better Call Saul so far.

Looks like Kim is about to go insane.

morethenjack likes this.
  5. Been watching a tv series on Netflix called The Confession Tapes. It's quite good and very interesting.

I haven't seen all of it yet but so far it looks like it's about the dirty tactics used by police in murder investigations to gain a confession, even if that person had nothing to do with the murder.

6. Alec

Alec International Rep

Peaky Blinders season 1, up to the last episode of the season. Cillian Murphy is really damn good in it, and Sam Neill is pretty good too, though the other characters seem to be kinda....just there? Maybe they'll get more development later on. It's pretty good so far.

KickHaas likes this.
  7. It gets better.

8. I've been watching a documentary on Stan called Wrong Man.

Basically, it's about a team that investigates wrongful convictions cases. Some of the shit they uncover is truly shocking. You think that kind of stuff only happens in movies, but that's just not the case.

How can someone get convicted of murder one based on two witness statements, no confession and no evidence whatsoever? And there were even conflicting witness statements. It's baffling how there could even be a conviction.

9. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

It happens way more than people think. I listen to a lot of true crime podcasts and it is just ridiculous. The idea that police and prosecutors can be trusted as a whole is ludicrous. The worst thing is once convicted it is very hard to have your case reviewed and overturned, or even get a new trial. I have lost count of the amount of cases I have some across where the person is clearly innocent but are stuck in jail due to corrupt or at least misleading police/prosecutors. Cases where the deliberately left out exonerating evidence, had 'expert' witnesses that altered their reports to present what the prosecution needed etc. etc.

It's disgusting.

10. MrTickyM

MrTickyM QCup Player

Throw some recommendations at me for true crime poddies?

11. broncos4life

I thought you’d never ask!

My absolute favourites are Casefile, Court Junkie and Serial. It depends what you are after though.

Serial: This is one of my all time favourites, it basically started the whole true crime podcast thing. This is a whole series on the one crime told over 10 episodes if I remember correctly. There are 2 seasons but the first is easily the best. The first season focuses on the case of Adnad Syed, an American teenager that is accused and convicted of the murder of his ex-girlfriend but has always claimed his innonence and the evidence is sketchy at best. The podcast is done by a pretty renowned crime journalist and she does a dive into the whole case looking at the legitimacy of the evidence, going through the prosecutions case and trying to prove/disprove the theories. I won't spoil anything by giving my opinion on his guilt or innocence but I can not recommend this enough and if you end up listening I would be keen on discussing with you at the end. If you liked Making a Murderer you will love this.

Casefile: This was my first ever true crime podcast and got me hooked on the genre. The host is Australian but lists his name as ‘Anonymous’ because he wants the podcast to be about the victims and the stories, not him. Each episode is a different case and it is told in a narrative style with just the facts, not opinion or discussion. There are nearly 100 episodes of this out and I am jealous of you being able to binge on this. Can’t recommend it enough.

Court Junkie: These are individual episodes that focus on court cases and tell the story of the crime through the way it is presented in court.

Teachers Pet: Similar in the presentation to Serial although this case is about an Australian man that is the prime suspect in the murder of his wife over 30 years ago and has never been even charged for it. Took place NSW during the time that all the police corruption was rife. It is outrageous that he has never been charged once you hear the evidence, especially when you consider that 2 separate coronial inquests have found him responsible for her murder. Check it out, it is quite mind blowing.

There are so many more I can recommend but it really depends on what you are into. There are also ones that have a few hosts that discuss the crimes and speculate etc. I don’t really get into them because I am interested in the facts and not the opinions of people that think they are witty.

Let me know what kind of style you are into and I can recommend more in that style.

bb_gun, BroncosAlways and Cult3 like this.
  12. MrTickyM

MrTickyM QCup Player

I’ve listened to Serial and loved it. Couldn’t get into the second season at all. Really didn’t pack the same punch as the first.

Jumped on the teacher’s pet early and really enjoyed it. I was watching the fan with Vossy and they had a segment about the Newtown jets and the number of players who were imprisoned in a particular team and mentioned Paul Dawson. I did a bit of research and wondered if they had gone down the path of investigating the Neddy Smith link so was happy they brought that up in the last ep.

I’ve got a feeling I have listened to a bit of casefile; may have just cherry picked particular episodes that I was aware of.

I’ll check our court junkie though. Just got to the end of a few (Wrong Skin & Dead Wrong) so am looking for something new

13. broncos4life

What were wrong skin and dead wrong like?

I wasn’t a big fan of the second season of Serial either, I listened to all if it but it was pretty meh compared to the first.

Have you listened to Accused? Similar style to Serial and I have a weird crush on the host Amber Hunt.

Others I like are:
    Australian True Crime
    Canadian True Crime
    True Crime Fan Club
    Dark Topic
    Dirty John
    Felon
    Serial Killers
    Swindled
    Small Town Dicks
    The Trials of the Vampire
    They Walk Among Us

Let me know if you want to know more about any of those.

14. Alec

Alec International Rep

Anyone been watching the new All Aussie Adventures season? I forgot about it until today, but the original is easily my favourite Australian TV show. I wonder if this one is as good.

15. MrTickyM

MrTickyM QCup Player

I found it was a bit too obvious. The original was just at a perfect time. The new version didn’t do it for me at all.

16. MrTickyM

MrTickyM QCup Player

I’ll give a few of those a go. I quite enjoyed Dead Wrong which is about a guy who died on a crayfish farm in suspicious circumstances but was ruled to have had an accidental death. Similar vein to Teachers Pet with a lot less drama. Wrong Skin wasn’t as mysterious, but I found it interesting for the history and better perspective on remote Australia and aboriginal culture/law.

Have you listened to S-Town?

17. broncos4life

Yeah mate loves S-town

18. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan.

I've only watched a couple of episodes but I'm enjoying it. Interested to see where the season goes.

Cult3 likes this.
    Mayans MC is finally here!

Excited to see how this spin-off goes and whether it will be just as good as Sons of Anarchy.

I haven't read much about this, but I'm hoping to see some cameos by some characters in Sons of Anarchy that's not Alvarez.

Cult3 likes this.