TV Show Thread

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
Well I guess we're just throwing out 5 books and 7 seasons worth of build up. No Azor Ahai, the Three Eyed Raven only exists to be bait, warging serves no purpose, there are zero stakes when it comes to the survival of main characters, "Winter" lasted all of a few days. What a disappointment.

Better than Endgame? Barely surpasses the Fantastic Four reboot. There needs to be some serious surprises in store to save this from ending as just another generic TV series with a big budget.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Well I guess we're just throwing out 5 books and 7 seasons worth of build up. No Azor Ahai, the Three Eyed Raven only exists to be bait, warging serves no purpose, there are zero stakes when it comes to the survival of main characters, "Winter" lasted all of a few days. What a disappointment.

Better than Endgame? Barely surpasses the Fantastic Four reboot. There needs to be some serious surprises in store to save this from ending as just another generic TV series with a big budget.
In the cold light of day and after the epic nature of the episode as a stand alone, this is a great point. They've disregarded a heap of shit here. On the "Winter" only lasting a few days, I'm not sure how else they could have done it though. The army of the dead was always intended to be an overwhelming force so it's not like they could drag it out over a couple of weeks...and retreat was never an option because they'd be overrun.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
GoT

How do you not see an entire fleet of ships sailing below you? The dumbarse things that occur to move the plot along are getting a bit out of hand.

Also, Dany is the final bad guy confirmed. She's going to go full Mad Queen on King's Landing.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
GoT

How do you not see an entire fleet of ships sailing below you? The dumbarse things that occur to move the plot along are getting a bit out of hand.

Also, Dany is the final bad guy confirmed. She's going to go full Mad Queen on King's Landing.
This has been hot trash so far, the writing has gone so far down hill it's not even funny, the pacing is incredibly off, the dialogue is B-Grade crap. Everything about it seems rushed and sloppy.

The pacing has to be the worst, like, wtf? We're skipping several months in the space of a few seconds. One second everyone is at Winterfell, the next scene they're battling a fleet of ships seemingly hundreds of miles away?

Why did they make this shit 6 episodes, there was comfortably enough content to do a properly executed 12 episode final season, this sloppy rushed shit is ruining the GoT legacy.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
This has been hot trash so far, the writing has gone so far down hill it's not even funny, the pacing is incredibly off, the dialogue is B-Grade crap. Everything about it seems rushed and sloppy.

The pacing has to be the worst, like, wtf? We're skipping several months in the space of a few seconds. One second everyone is at Winterfell, the next scene they're battling a fleet of ships seemingly hundreds of miles away?

Why did they make this shit 6 episodes, there was comfortably enough content to do a properly executed 12 episode final season, this sloppy rushed shit is ruining the GoT legacy.
Apparently HBO wanted to keep the show going for many years to come, but the showrunners wanted to move onto other projects (RIP Star Wars). With the garbage they are serving up here, HBO should have stuck to their original plan and told these muppets to take a hike.

They've completely thrown out decades of world building and character building and replaced it with Cersei smirking. God I hope GRRM finishes the books because the ending to the show is going to be far from satisfying.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Apparently HBO wanted to keep the show going for many years to come, but the showrunners wanted to move onto other projects (RIP Star Wars). With the garbage they are serving up here, HBO should have stuck to their original plan and told these muppets to take a hike.

They've completely thrown out decades of world building and character building and replaced it with Cersei smirking. God I hope GRRM finishes the books because the ending to the show is going to be far from satisfying.
GRRM finishing the books is honestly one of my biggest hopes in life. I've got all the books and read them before S1 had finished, I love them considerably more than the show and might even re-read them once this crap has finished to rid myself of the taste in my mouth. Please George, I'm begging, finish the damn books.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep

Nailed it. Even taking into account the extended length of each episode, I have absolutely no idea why they've compressed this into 6 episodes.

The dragon killing was just so cheap and not even remotely believable. I mean, they've been away from Dragonstone for months you'd imagine...but they just sail towards it all care free? It never occurs to anyone to do a little scouting to make sure that there isn't a force close by ready to attack? Just, baffling. Was really looking forward to some sort of explanation for what Bran was doing last episode but nope. I'm unsure what the point of his character is now. The whole scene in front of the gates was just...laughable. I don't believe for a second that the character Cersei would not fire upon them all or at least kill Tyrion. She sent Bron after him FFS but when she had the opportunity to take him out, yeah nah. It's all just so fucking rushed.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
OH, and I didn't even mention my pet peeve.

WTF is the writing doing with Ghost? We literally haven't seen him do anything this season short of standing there or running in to battle, is the CGI budget that shorthanded they can't give him a couple of sick scenes? And NOW they just completely write him out for no reason? "Hey, take my pet Direwolf, potentially the last one alive in history, and my best friend for a decade, I don't want to look after him anymore" And they don't even write in a farewell? Jon just looks at him as he's riding away and that's it? GHOST SAVED HIS LIFE SO MANY TIMES, WTF, GIVE THEM A PROPER FAREWELL AT LEAST YOU FUCKS.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
OH, and I didn't even mention my pet peeve.

WTF is the writing doing with Ghost? We literally haven't seen him do anything this season short of standing there or running in to battle, is the CGI budget that shorthanded they can't give him a couple of sick scenes? And NOW they just completely write him out for no reason? "Hey, take my pet Direwolf, potentially the last one alive in history, and my best friend for a decade, I don't want to look after him anymore" And they don't even write in a farewell? Jon just looks at him as he's riding away and that's it? GHOST SAVED HIS LIFE SO MANY TIMES, WTF, GIVE THEM A PROPER FAREWELL AT LEAST YOU FUCKS.
Pet peeve. ICWDT

Alec

International Rep
I thought GoT rapidly dropped in quality once the writers started writing their own stories, instead of adapting from the books.
I think this often happens with popular stuff, people in charge want what they think will appeal to the most number of people, instead of what they think is good (or what makes more sense). It went from a dark and gritty story line to a comic book.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Rep
A couple of wildcards were set up this episode. Both Jaime and Arya are heading south to Kings Landing. One of them will be the one to kill Cersei. Then there is Dany's mental state. She is her fathers daughter after all. To let herself be baited so easily by Cersei is the only suspension of disbelief I really have a problem with.

Also if you're gonna write Rhaegal, Ghost, Tormund and Samwell out of the series just like that then why not just have them die during the Battle of Winterfell? It would've made that episode more impactful and would have changed literally nothing about the general plotline of episode 4.

And oh god the Starbucks cup :\ that is not a good look.

bb_gun

NRL Player
I thought GoT rapidly dropped in quality once the writers started writing their own stories, instead of adapting from the books.
I think this often happens with popular stuff, people in charge want what they think will appeal to the most number of people, instead of what they think is good (or what makes more sense). It went from a dark and gritty story line to a comic book.
This is very accurate, once the story surpassed GRRM's lore then it all went to shit. I honestly believe that Martin bathed in the fame from the show and completely forgot about servicing his original fans. Part of me also believes he doesn't even know how to finish the series, he's just done with it, whether it's boredom it not, we deserved an end to the novels. It's been 8 years since his last book, we ain't getting more. It sucks that such a legendary storyteller will not, can not, complete the saga that made him famous..

PS, if you haven't read the books, please read them. They surpass the TV show in a million ways. Apart from season 1 the TV show has always compromised the brilliance of this story.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I'm about to immerse myself in the complete set of the series "The Wire".

I know its a bit dated, but from what I've seen, it's the closest thing to The Sopranos" to hit the TV screen.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I'm about to immerse myself in the complete set of the series "The Wire".

I know its a bit dated, but from what I've seen, it's the closest thing to The Sopranos" to hit the TV screen.
Will be interesting to hear what you make of it.

I'll try not to spoil anything, but it took a few episodes to hook me and while I enjoyed the show I didn't think it lived up to the hype until Season 3.

The forth season maybe my favourite season of any television show, period.

I went back to it years later and found the early seasons held up a lot better. I think the problem is that the show introduces a lot of characters early on and it takes awhile for them to really distinguish themselves.

Allo

NRL Captain
so I’ve caught up. I’ve been suspecting so far this season, particularly post-Jon reveal that Dany would lose the plot like her old man as she feels the throne slipping away. Also with the cold war between her and the Stark girls nearly reaching breaking point every episode

Writing out Tormund, Ghost etc does seem a little silly if they don’t make another appearance. Surely not just to appease fans in that they didn’t die?

Brienne and Jaime ... I just don’t get it. Like she’s always been in love with him, but it kinda shat all over their relationship to have them drunkenly get together and then him leave and break her heart in the process.

The final ten minutes or so was just a bit silly. Killing off Rhaegal, like not having it happen during last episode when he disappeared, seems needless. Like others have said, not scouting Dragonstone, considering it’s in Blackwater Bay, they know Euron and the fleet is there and they have known for some time that Cersei has the dragon ballista, is so tactically dumb. But as the battle of Winterfell, showed, tactics aren’t really their strong point.

Convenient that Missandei managed to survive the ship attacks just so she could be killed in front of Tyrion, Dany and Greyworm (poor fella).

The pacing is horrible.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Will be interesting to hear what you make of it.

I'll try not to spoil anything, but it took a few episodes to hook me and while I enjoyed the show I didn't think it lived up to the hype until Season 3.

The forth season maybe my favourite season of any television show, period.

I went back to it years later and found the early seasons held up a lot better. I think the problem is that the show introduces a lot of characters early on and it takes awhile for them to really distinguish themselves.
Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it.

It did take a while to grow on me, but once it does, you'll love it. So many great characters, can't even name my favourites, but Stringer, Avon & Omar are all incredible in their own unique ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter