TV Show Thread

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Started watching The Witcher on Netflix, despite the negative reviews.
interesting show. 5 eps in and it’s really starting to kick into high gear...
I didn't read any reviews and just started watching with pretty much an open mind. It was quite good, a pleasant enough time filler. I did read an 'episode explained' during the series because the switching back and forward through time threw me out a bit.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I didn't read any reviews and just started watching with pretty much an open mind. It was quite good, a pleasant enough time filler. I did read an 'episode explained' during the series because the switching back and forward through time threw me out a bit.
Yeah not knowing the story at all, I was confused a bit until I realised there was different timelines involved and it was going back and forth. I’m enjoying it so far. Will probably finish season 1 today. Just sitting around at the moment doing very little as the cheese and kisses is at 39 weeks and four days atm, so the call will come any minute...

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Yeah not knowing the story at all, I was confused a bit until I realised there was different timelines involved and it was going back and forth. I’m enjoying it so far. Will probably finish season 1 today. Just sitting around at the moment doing very little as the cheese and kisses is at 39 weeks and four days atm, so the call will come any minute...
Great stuff, all the best. Hopefully it will all run smoothly.

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
I liked the Witcher. Hadn't read the books or played the games so went in with a clean slate. The timelines thing didn't bother me, thought it was a good idea and showing how Geralt and Yennifer developed over time made sense.

They cast the wrong guy for Jaskier though.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I liked the Witcher. Hadn't read the books or played the games so went in with a clean slate. The timelines thing didn't bother me, thought it was a good idea and showing how Geralt and Yennifer developed over time made sense.

They cast the wrong guy for Jaskier though.

On the whole I enjoyed it, they've created a good foundation to build a series on. The special effects need some work though IMO...some of the monsters just looked terrible, especially those dragons.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Anyone watch Are You Afraid of the Dark? in the 90's?

The campy/lame factor doesn't translate to the kids nowadays - but back in the 90's (I was in a very famous tv show...couldn't resist) - Nickelodeon's late night line up was like:

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Ren and Stimpy
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Invader Zim

So good.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Anyone watch Are You Afraid of the Dark? in the 90's?

The campy/lame factor doesn't translate to the kids nowadays - but back in the 90's (I was in a very famous tv show...couldn't resist) - Nickelodeon's late night line up was like:

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Ren and Stimpy
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Invader Zim

So good.
Shows like Are You Afraid and Goosebumps laid the groundwork for my love of anthology shows. I usually enjoyed every episode of Are You Afraid, but the one that supposedly inspired the Sixth Sense stuck with me.

I remember when Nick would switch over to a classic television channel after a certain period of time and run shows like the Addams Family and Mr. Ed. Only on a Saturday night they'd extend the run time with shows like All That/Keenan and Kel, Are You Afraid of the Dark and Clarissa Explains It All. I think Ren and Stimpy was the other show they'd air around 97-98 but I'm really racking my brain.

Nick was good in the sense that it encouraged good sleeping habits. You had to be up early to catch the good block of cartoons and there was no point staying up at night unless you really needed to see what was happening on Gilligan's Island.

From memory it started off with shows like Inspector Gadget, Garfield and Friends, Count Duckula then you got the classic Nick shows like Rugrats, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Ahh Real Monsters and then you had the weird American kids shows like Secrets of the Hidden Temple and Guts. Then the afternoon block had cartoons like Mighty Max (my favourite show), Ren and Stimpy plus all those Nick cartoons.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Shows like Are You Afraid and Goosebumps laid the groundwork for my love of anthology shows. I usually enjoyed every episode of Are You Afraid, but the one that supposedly inspired the Sixth Sense stuck with me.

I remember when Nick would switch over to a classic television channel after a certain period of time and run shows like the Addams Family and Mr. Ed. Only on a Saturday night they'd extend the run time with shows like All That/Keenan and Kel, Are You Afraid of the Dark and Clarissa Explains It All. I think Ren and Stimpy was the other show they'd air around 97-98 but I'm really racking my brain.

Nick was good in the sense that it encouraged good sleeping habits. You had to be up early to catch the good block of cartoons and there was no point staying up at night unless you really needed to see what was happening on Gilligan's Island.

From memory it started off with shows like Inspector Gadget, Garfield and Friends, Count Duckula then you got the classic Nick shows like Rugrats, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Ahh Real Monsters and then you had the weird American kids shows like Secrets of the Hidden Temple and Guts. Then the afternoon block had cartoons like Mighty Max (my favourite show), Ren and Stimpy plus all those Nick cartoons.
Hmm I remember it way different. I'd stay up most nights to catch the Zim-Ren and Stimpy-Are you afraid of the dark-catdog etc.

I don't remember gilligan or addams family or any of that shit on there.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
You're most likely referring to the 2001-2002 era, especially since it included Zim.

The era I was referring to was more 97-98.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
You're most likely referring to the 2001-2002 era, especially since it included Zim.

The era I was referring to was more 97-98.
Yeah you might be right. The morning line up was certainly pretty good. I'd switch over to V if I was up late, usually catching the new Metallica clips and so on.

Inspector Gadget and Garfield and stuff sounds like Cartoon Network though. And damn they had some good shows back then - Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Courage etc.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
This was before shows like Wild Thornberries, Angry Beavers, Rocket Power etc. so they had to fill the schedule with third party shows like Garfield and Count Duckula.

Cartoon Network was mostly Hanna-Barbera cartoons back then. For every show like Dexter's Lab and Swat Kats you'd get Inch High or some crappy licensed 70s/80s cartoon.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
This was before shows like Wild Thornberries, Angry Beavers, Rocket Power etc. so they had to fill the schedule with third party shows like Garfield and Count Duckula.

Cartoon Network was mostly Hanna-Barbera cartoons back then. For every show like Dexter's Lab and Swat Kats you'd get Inch High or some crappy licensed 70s/80s cartoon.
Nothing crappy about those old cartoons; I grew up on them, along with Adams Family, The Three Stooges and Thunderbirds.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Hmm I remember it way different. I'd stay up most nights to catch the Zim-Ren and Stimpy-Are you afraid of the dark-catdog etc.

I don't remember gilligan or addams family or any of that shit on there.
My parents got cable in '95, so I remember Nickelodeon from some of the early years. After about 8pm each night, it would change to Nick at Night, where was basically Golden Oldies at Night because everything was Green Acres, Gilligans Island, etc. Nothing at all to do with kids. Infact think of the old timer shows they play on TV1 (Arena now?), and that's what was on Nick at Night.

I didn't like Are You Afraid? at all, just wasn't my sorta show. Was always more of a Rocko/Aah! kid. Kablam! was awesome.

The single best bit about those times was the fact that you actually had no ads on cable. That was the point.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
My parents got cable in '95, so I remember Nickelodeon from some of the early years. After about 8pm each night, it would change to Nick at Night, where was basically Golden Oldies at Night because everything was Green Acres, Gilligans Island, etc. Nothing at all to do with kids. Infact think of the old timer shows they play on TV1 (Arena now?), and that's what was on Nick at Night.

I didn't like Are You Afraid? at all, just wasn't my sorta show. Was always more of a Rocko/Aah! kid. Kablam! was awesome.

The single best bit about those times was the fact that you actually had no ads on cable. That was the point.
Yeah like Pete said I was thinking closer to 2000. The only ads were for other Nick shows.

What about Goosebumps? or same go as are you afraid? So campy!

Renegade

NRL Captain
I never liked the shows, but I read the shit out of the books. I am pretty confident I have read almost all of the OG books, plus a shitload of the choose your own adventures.

Last edited:

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Yeah, Kablam was pretty sweet. From memory it was a variety show with live action bits not too dissimilar from Robot Chicken.

Hey Arnold was the other original show from around that time and it had some surprising depth for a kid's show. Between that and all those other cartoons you had a pretty strong rotation.

Nothing crappy about those old cartoons; I grew up on them, along with Adams Family, The Three Stooges and Thunderbirds.
Nah there were some pretty awful shows, Goober and the Ghost Chasers was the show I was thinking of. Another Scooby Doo rip-off with the Partridge Family who would then go onto rip-off the Jetsons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter