Under 18 Queensland Team

fairly sloppy 1st half.
6-0 Qld at half time

Boyd was Queensland best, started well but then just gave away chances and couldn't hold them. Same as last year.

I thought we didn't chance our arm enough.
Looked like we tried to grind a win a bit too much.
Our wingers had a bad night under the bomb.
It'll be interesting how many of this group go on to NRL level.
I suspect similar to recent times, not many.

I thought we didn't chance our arm enough.
Looked like we tried to grind a win a bit too much.
Our wingers had a bad night under the bomb.
It'll be interesting how many of this group go on to NRL level.
I suspect similar to recent times, not many.

Not too sure on NRL stats but since they switched to Under 18 and not Under 17 in 2008.

Arrow, Gagai, Hess, Holmes, Hunt, McCullough, McGuire, Milford, Morgan, O'Neill and Papali have all played Origin after 18's.

NRL - I may miss a few.

2008- 8
2009- 9
2010-8
2011- 8
2012-7
2013-5
2014- 4
2015-2
2016-0
2017-0
2018-0

I guess the numbers will get less the more current you get as they haven't moved up yet. From 2016 onwards you'd expect to see guys like Bullemor, Carrigan, Paix, Boyd, Fifita, Tino start to move soon.

Not too sure on NRL stats but since they switched to Under 18 and not Under 17 in 2008.

Arrow, Gagai, Hess, Holmes, Hunt, McCullough, McGuire, Milford, Morgan, O'Neill and Papali have all played Origin after 18's.

Yeah not a good number especially forwards.
If you only count 08 to 14 so 7 seasons thats 5 forwards have kicked on from around 63 players assuming 9 in each team.

Thoughts?

Some ordinary selections in that game Paix is not a 9 he should have been in the halves Simpkin should have played 9 Deardon 18th man

Yeah not a good number especially forwards.
If you only count 08 to 14 so 7 seasons thats 5 forwards have kicked on from around 63 players assuming 9 in each team.

Thoughts?

Queensland has also been very settled and successful over that period, so the risk of picking kids hasn't had to happen.

True but looking at the numbers of those who go on to establish themselves as genuine first graders it isn't a good conversion.
There could be a nunber of reasons .

Qld U18 have produced more Origin players than NSW U18 (11 to 9) but more NSW U18 players have gone onto play first grade (about 83 to 52 if my counting is correct).

Of those 83 for NSW, 64 are in current NRL squads, although all aren't regular first graders. For Qld, 37 of their 52 are in current NRL squads, but like I said, not all are NRL regulars. If you broke it down further and just counted regular first graders, say guys who play 15+ games a season, it'd probably be a similar ratio.

I'd say those first grade numbers are about right when you look at the amount of eligible NSW and Qld players in the NRL. NSW probably have double the number of eligible players than Qld do.

Also, just on those U18 Origin -> Senior Origin numbers. Of Qld's 11 U18 graduates, 10 played last night. Of NSW's 9, just 4 played.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.