University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

I wouldn’t consider my son playing league unless this became a thing. My first son did and had so many bad injuries.
I grew up playing rugby for Logan, I’m not a small dude and wasn’t when growing up but the weight difference from when I started playing 7 till I was at least 17 was ridiculous. It wasn’t until I ran into a couple when I was back home for a visit 7 years later that we were on a more even playing field 😂. I mean even in the nrl you see it, the white fellas even at the top level are still catching up after the make top grade. It also allows the bigger fellas growing up to develop ball skills because they’re playing kids their own size and can’t just run over them.

(Example) the entire NZ rugby forward pack.
(Example for no ball skills) Flegler

I disagree. As you say as a spectator it doesn't matter. And I agree the more players the better, but it shouldn't matter what their race is. Using your argument, if we wanted nrl to represent the general population we should be looking at more Asians, Indians, Arabs, etc playing in the nrl before white kids.
It's not "race" it's about an minority ethnic group dominating the game to the extent it's driving the majority ethnic group from playing it. Like I said, the problem isn't the minority ethnic group playing it. It's the majority ethnic group not playing it. The game is more than just a spectator sport.

Done. Good luck with your study.

BTW, racism in NRL isn’t the problem it once was. Read McHunt’s statement above.

NRL/rugby league actually helps connect kids/adults of different races, always has.

Out of interest, what’s your thesis?
Thanks for completing the survey. The project is a comparative analysis of some of the most prominent sports here in Australia.

What Renouf was called Pearl because he was black? I though it was based on his ability to take a shit pass (sand) and turn in into a thing of beauty. Learn something new every day.

What Renouf was called Pearl because he was black? I though it was based on his ability to take a shit pass (sand) and turn in into a thing of beauty. Learn something new every day.
He got the nickname because he's black: like/after Ellery Hanley (Black Pearl).

@theacademic this interview might interest you:

I wouldn’t consider my son playing league unless this became a thing. My first son did and had so many bad injuries.
I really can't understand how this hasn't been taken more seriously. It was an issue that's been coming for decades and this is a potentially viable solution to that issue and yet it's hardly seen the light of day in a practical sense even to trial it.

I'd want to be cautious to make sure there were some safeguards in place so that no one was playing up or down against kids who were significantly older or younger then them and I'm not necessarily sure how that could be applied in practicality but I have no doubt it could be worked out and put into practice even in trial form to see what kind or results it produced.

He got the nickname because he's black: like/after Ellery Hanley (Black Pearl).

@theacademic this interview might interest you:

Thanks, never knew the story behind it.

It seems like Rugby league has handled it better then AFL, I don't know how it is for other areas but when ever I've gone to a game in Sydney there wasn't been any racist incidents that happened when I was there(Though one happened at Penrith a few years back from memory).

Dear all,

I have admin support to make this post.

I am an academic at the University of South Australia (my details are included at the beginning of the survey) and I am conducting some research on fans’ views of racism in the NRL. To do so, I have constructed an anonymous survey and it should only take a few minutes of your time to complete:

Completing the survey is voluntary, but I hope you agree it is a topical study and I thank you in advance for your time.
Are you fishing here??? I would suggest there are bigger problems in the world than a misled survey. The questions are very misleading.

I agree there are bigger problems in the world, The real talanoa, but I disagree that the questions are misleading. Thanks to those who have completed the survey.

I think weight grades needs to brought in. They do it in NZ and I think it’s a great idea.
Not really fair for the big fat 10 year old who has to play against men though.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • jd87
  • Foordy
  • unnerv1ng
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Organix
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.