RUMOUR Staggs gunning for Milford's spot

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
HScreenshot 2021 03 23 Shock Staggs switch puts Milford on notice

The mountain of manure is getting its scoops of poop from BHQ again, today reporting Kotoni Staggs is eyeing Milford's 5/8th position upon return from injury. A subject of playful speculation on this board for some time, with no basis in anything other than flight of fancy:

"The Courier-Mail understands Staggs is open to a return to the position he played as a junior and sees himself best suited at No.6 instead of centre."

Rather than admit they're mining BHQ for ideas, they've manufactured it into a story by asking Steve Renouf - who loves seeing his name in the paper - whether Staggs is a priority signing and whether he's heard the rumour they're starting in this piece:

“He is crucial, I really think he is, he is a priority for the club to be honest. We’ve seen what he’s done. He’s come there as a young fella and they’d really like to keep him. He is a game-breaker and can do a lot of things with the footy. He does his job and gets over the tryline regularly. I’m not sure (about shifting him), I heard he did play five-eighth. I like him running as an outside back at centre. He does such a great job there. We’ve seen some of the great tries he’s scored and he’s tough and very competitive. We need a centre like him.”

So there you go: that's how you make up a story. But wouldn't it be nice if we were given the credit?

McHunt

Last edited:
Staggs at 6 would kick ass. He doesn't get monstered by attackers like Milford does.

Who cares about a kicking game when we're kicking from our own 40M every set anyway. The extra potency we'll gain in attack and defense will make up for it. Also bad defensive reads are much easier covered in 6 than centre anyway.

Sold. Lock it in. We'll score 12 points more a game on average when this happens and probably concede that many less.

Last edited:
Staggs at 6 would kick ass. He doesn't get monstered by attackers like Milford does.

Who cares about a kicking game when we're kicking from our own 40M every set anyway. The extra potency we'll gain in attack and defense will make up for it. Also bad defensive reads are much easier covered in 6 than centre anyway.

Sold. Lock it in. We'll score 12 points more a game on average when this happens and probably concede that many less.
I would like to see him play at least one game at 5/8th in ISC before jumping to conclusions about how great he would be there. I haven't seen him express any of the critical five-eighth skills with the ball in hand or to foot. I only know him as a player who's a dangerous runner close to the line.

I would like to see him play at least one game at 5/8th in ISC before jumping to conclusions about how great he would be there. I haven't seen him express any of the critical five-eighth skills with the ball in hand or to foot. I only know him as a player who's a dangerous runner close to the line.
let's be real, Staggs isn't playing in fucking ISC, we are scum class and he is probably one of our best players.

Last edited:
let's be real, Staggs isn't playing in fucking ISC, we are scum class and he is probably one of our best players.
He isn't playing 5/8th either just quietly.

Those concerned about his defence need to remember it’s not his ability to tackle that’s the problem, it’s his ability to read the attacking play in front of him. It’s a lot easier at 6 then at center.

put me in the all for it camp.

No chance at 5/8. Seen, played myself and played with others who are NRL and staggs is simply not a 5/8. His power and strike is as hovering centre. Give him the ball 30 in from touch and he can make 30m forward. Give him broken field or a pushed set wide and he carves up. Absolutely dead wood at 5/8.

Those concerned about his defence need to remember it’s not his ability to tackle that’s the problem, it’s his ability to read the attacking play in front of him. It’s a lot easier at 6 then at center.

put me in the all for it camp.
That is somewhat true, but if it were wholly true, why is Walters breaking Milford's balls about his defence?

Last edited:
No chance at 5/8. Seen, played myself and played with others who are NRL and staggs is simply not a 5/8. His power and strike is as hovering centre. Give him the ball 30 in from touch and he can make 30m forward. Give him broken field or a pushed set wide and he carves up. Absolutely dead wood at 5/8.

Neither is Milford at this stage though, so what's the harm?

That's good and all but he played fucking well there against Australia.

He can definitely kick and has some ball skills, he isn't a playmaker so you would still need a proper halfback but he makes sense as the instinct half like Cody Walker from Rabbitohs, more ball is a good thing.

Last edited:
Didn't he score a Hattrick at 5/8 in his only game there in round 2 last year? Why can't he be a running 5/8 in the jack Wighton mould. Not what you'd call a true 5/8 but a strong body defender, with a powerful running game which creates doubt. Obviously it would require him to learn some kind of kicking game (I have no idea if he has one), but I believe someone here did mention Walters is viewing him as a 5/8 down the line. Can't remember who.

I think the issue with comparing Staggs to other five eights like Cody Walker, Wighton, etc. is that those guys have a passing game so the defence have to show their playmaking some respect

Staggs hasn't shown a passing game that I can recall as yet... Cody and Wighton were playing fullback before 6 and at least showed some form of passing.

I think Staggs kicking could get to the level of Cody or Wighton's short kicking game where they kick down the blind side or sneak a kick into the in goal, but Wighton kicked a couple 40/20's last year I believe... whereas Staggs will probably be limited to the dreaded 5th tackle bomb to a corner.

Also I wasn't aware that he had played 6 in the juniors I thought he came through as a center or second rower... I really don't think we need to look at moving him away from center. He provides a lot of strike out there and isn't required to bring other players into the game (like a half is required to do)... in round 1 we looked to spread the ball early and play some expansive footy so if we are able to keep that style going then I think Staggs will get a lot of good early ball

Last edited:
That's good and all but he played fucking well there against Australia.

He can definitely kick and has some ball skills, he isn't a playmaker so you would still need a proper halfback but he makes sense as the instinct half like Cody Walker from Rabbitohs, more ball is a good thing.

Seriously, what did you seen in that film clip that screamed (or even mildly spoke) that Staggs could be a 5/8? There was nothing shown in that particular clip?

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Lozza
  • Jazza
  • Scorchie
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lurker
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Manifesto
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Cavalo
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.