RUMOUR Staggs gunning for Milford's spot

I could only see it working if we had a fullback with ball skills and kicking game (hynes or drinkwater) and an effective game manager elsewhere in the spine.

Wighton works because he has hodgson and their pommy half running the game. Munster works because he also has ball skills and decent kicking game (which katoni has not demonstrated).

This 4 year deal at $700k a year for Staggs is madness. He isnt worth it, he especially isnt worth it for playing at 6, and surely we have learned our lesson from dishing out long contracts. I'd actually be fine with us going no more than 2 year deals for the near future unless its for a real elite class player like a Lockyer. If i've got $700k a year to spend on a center, the only one would be Manu.

Last edited:
Yes, but that almost try involved no skills of a half, he was simply running as he would as a centre.
Exactly....which is where he should play for us in the NRL.

This 4 year deal at $700k a year for Staggs is madness. He isnt worth it, he especially isnt worth it for playing at 6, and surely we have learned our lesson from dishing out long contracts. I'd actually be fine with us going no more than 2 year deals for the near future unless its for a real elite class player like a Lockyer. If i've got $700k a year to spend on a center, the only one would be Manu.
I don't think it's completely stupid, Roosters where willing to pay 800k for Latrell to play there(he left anyway) and you could say they probably at a similar level although Staggs hasn't shown as much at the same point.

If he ends up a 6 and gets to a rep level there then the deal only looks better.

I don't think it's completely stupid, Roosters where willing to pay 800k for Latrell to play there(he left anyway) and you could say they probably at a similar level although Staggs hasn't shown as much at the same point.

If he ends up a 6 and gets to a rep level there then the deal only looks better.
Mitchell though tbf to him does have the skillset to play fullback, center or as a 6. Still think $800k was a stupid amount for him, and that was pre covid as well tbf. He wouldnt be getting that offer from the rorters in 2021. People will probably bring up Critchon from Penrith as well, but thats one of the dumbest contracts i've ever seen.

We cant pay him that amount of money though and hope he ends up a decent 6. I'd hope we have learned our lesson with these bigger contracts. Make the players earn them. If he is making the transition to 6, we pay him less. Give him a 2 year deal and if he kills it at 6, we make him the promise the upgrade will be a big one.

Just imo, i dont see $700k a year in Kotoni as a center. He just doesnt have as good an all round game as somebody like Manu, and i'd rather see us have a shot at getting in players like him. Plus Kotoni hasnt exactly shown himself in a good light off the field in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
I'd also put Lomax in that category, but he's signed up until 2025.

Is this what Joe means worse before it gets better?

Last edited:
Wow that’s a brave contract to throw at Staggs. He’s a gun but his defence is cooked and he’s currently only a centre.

The thing about the re-signings is that we already have these guys on the books and we’re the worst team in comp. there’s no point re-signing them all if we have no money left to bring in players that might improve the team.

Wow that’s a brave contract to throw at Staggs. He’s a gun but his defence is cooked and he’s currently only a centre.

The thing about the re-signings is that we already have these guys on the books and we’re the worst team in comp. there’s no point re-signing them all if we have no money left to bring in players that might improve the team.
The thing is though. This is the worst year to have money to spend as there is no real quality players to go after.

The thing is though. This is the worst year to have money to spend as there is no real quality players to go after.
There are some great options around but that aside, than sign him for 2 years until the market is better, 4 years is forever in rugby league. And none of those better be player options.

Staggs' agent probably wants him to be paid 5/8 money, wouldn't surprise me if he leaked the rumour himself.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Socnorb
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • bazza
  • Culhwch
  • Justwin
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • kman
  • MrTickyMcG
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Porthoz
  • Behold
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.