RUMOUR Staggs gunning for Milford's spot

Seriously, what did you seen in that film clip that screamed (or even mildly spoke) that Staggs could be a 5/8? There was nothing shown in that particular clip?
He kicked alot more then shown in the clip but it's all that can be shown lol, almost got a try from the 6 position if not for a high tackle(it wasn't even his good side as he can fend better on the right). Either way he was playing in that position against the highest quality opposition possible what else do you need to know?

Last edited:
Staggs didn’t play 5/8 in the juniors
In the 16s he played fullback
17s he played fullback and lock
And the 18s played lock and wing in first grade

That's good and all but he played fucking well there against Australia.

He can definitely kick and has some ball skills, he isn't a playmaker so you would still need a proper halfback but he makes sense as the instinct half like Cody Walker from Rabbitohs, more ball is a good thing.

I think there is a fair bit of confusion about this match in regards to Staggs. Staggs was actually named halfback. Lolohea wore the 6, though he basically did everything a play maker would do. Staggs was in the 21 jersey. I think only 1 kick in this highlights video was Staggs (the bomb) but considering it was from the right side of the field, that was probably also Lolohea. Staggs only kicked 3 times for 71 metres.

Staggs only features in the highlight at the following approximate game times:

44 minutes: held up over the line
62 minutes: helped take player into touch
72 minutes: missed penalty goal attempt
75 minutes: Disenaged too early from Haas tackle, releasing the ball which allowed Haas to get away a late offload that resulted in a potential match winning opportunity for Aus.

I’m definitely not against Staggs at 6 in theory, but this highlight video does nothing for his case one way or the other.

He kicked alot more then shown in the clip but it's all that can be shown lol, almost got a try from the 6 position if not for a high tackle(it wasn't even his good side as he can fend better on the right). Either way he was playing in that position against the highest quality opposition possible what else do you need to know?
Yes, but that almost try involved no skills of a half, he was simply running as he would as a centre.

I think there is a fair bit of confusion about this match in regards to Staggs. Staggs was actually named halfback. Lolohea wore the 6, though he basically did everything a play maker would do. Staggs was in the 21 jersey. I think only 1 kick in this highlights video was Staggs (the bomb) but considering it was from the right side of the field, that was probably also Lolohea. Staggs only kicked 3 times for 71 metres.

Staggs only features in the highlight at the following approximate game times:

44 minutes: held up over the line
62 minutes: helped take player into touch
72 minutes: missed penalty goal attempt
75 minutes: Disenaged too early from Haas tackle, releasing the ball which allowed Haas to get away a late offload that resulted in a potential match winning opportunity for Aus.

I’m definitely not against Staggs at 6 in theory, but this highlight video does nothing for his case one way or the other.
Yep, that was more my point, it was put forward apparently as evidence of his skills as a half yet didn't show anything.

Yeah, I’d actually love to trial him at fullback. His running style reminds me so much of Tedesco with his explosiveness and low centre of gravity
fb problem solved, He really does remind me of him and getting staggs hands on the ball more can never be a bad thing. Does he have the aerobic capacity for it though.

Last edited:
Imagine Staggs on kick returns! Imagine Staggs popping up all over the field and just running it. Who cares if he can kick or pass yet, neither did Teddy or even Paps when they first started.

I’m all in on him at 1 or 6. He’s just that good he’ll go great at either. AND it looks we have two pretty good centres developing as is in Niu and Farnworth.

Plenty, it would be a disaster.

Staggs should be modelling himself into a modern day Renough / Brad Clyde Hyrbid. Destrcutive with strength and speed.

So basically...a running five-eighth with a touch of finesse? You’ve literally just described why in the modern game he’s be an excellent five-eighth.

So basically...a running five-eighth with a touch of finesse? You’ve literally just described why in the modern game he’s be an excellent five-eighth.
No they are two very different things.

Never have seen a 5/8 in him. Plenty of players played in the halves in their younger days. It's all well and good showing one game where he played well, but he has to do it week in week out with expectation on him to perform. Doing it in a game with nothing to lose doesn't prove much imo. I'm just really not seeing a half in him.

We also have the elephant in the room which is why would you pay Staggs this $700/800k a year for a position he has no track record in. If we want to give him a run in the position I don't see the problem, but if Staggs himself wants the move into the halves he has to give a little. Take a smaller contract until he shows he is worth elite money, then reward him.

Yes, but that almost try involved no skills of a half, he was simply running as he would as a centre.
Pretty much but he did have 2 to his inside, so technically a 6 run.

No they are two very different things.
Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler both did it.

I think the kid should atleast get a decent run there before everyone writes him off, We are already dog shit what's the worst that can happen giving our most damaging runner more ball and a better defensive position.

Last edited:
That's good and all but he played fucking well there against Australia.

He can definitely kick and has some ball skills, he isn't a playmaker so you would still need a proper halfback but he makes sense as the instinct half like Cody Walker from Rabbitohs, more ball is a good thing.

The Tongan six looked like a gun who kicked well, Staggs was wearing the 21 and only appeared in the highlights for a missed penalty goal, did he really get MOTM?

Last edited:
think this is more about Milf than Staggs....

As in; anyone other than Milf at 6 please....

I can see the attraction for Staggs, easier to get a mil a year playing in the halves than at centre...

But frankly, we don't even know what kind of centre he can become. Also I don't want to shut off another path for Dearden to break through either...

Right now, the kid is a centre...

Defense could still be a problem. Nui & Staggs will still be have its issues........................mind you a piece of wet toilet paper is probably an upgrade on Milf.

To me Staggs is a strike centre who has the ability to break tackles through strength and has a good swerve.
His defence is woeful but i can remember an up and comer for the Broncs who also was a great attacking centre but a woeful defender. Over a period of a couple of seasons he turned his defence around and become a strong defender, the rest is history. His name of course was Steve Renouf, so it can be done.
I can't see him making a fist of five eighth but progressing to fullback, could be a possibility.

HScreenshot 2021 03 24 Revealed Broncos mega deal for Staggs

Badel says Staggs is being offered a four year extension thought to be worth around $700,000 a season. This is under the rumoured offers from Sydney clubs. Here are some regulation quotes to make it seem like there's something concrete in it.

Jordan Riki:

“I wanted to be the first person to put my hand up and say jump on board and let’s fight. We need to put this club back on the map again.”

Darren Lockyer playing along with the five-eighth rumour Badel's paper is pushing:

“Kotoni is a competitor. If it is a position down the track he wants to play, then I would back him in to do the work to get to where he needs to be. You have to have that complementary mix in the halves. You need an organiser and then another guy who can have the freedom to use their running game. At the moment, Brodie Croft is the organiser and Anthony Milford is the ‘eyes-up’ five-eighth who has a licence to play what’s in front of him."

“In saying that, Kotoni is a great right centre and I do like him in the centres. He is a strike centre, but if he has a desire to play five-eighth, I think he could be successful there.”

Justin Holbrook on signing Staggs and Xavier Coates:

“There is a level of interest. You never know whether you will get those players or not. You just have to show your interest and see where it lands I guess. They are conversations in the sense we are looking to strengthen our side for next year. If you are linked to three or four players, we‘re not going to end up with three or four ... we might end up with one.”

McHunt

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • theshed
  • Bish
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Bronx48
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • kiwi2
  • Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Lazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.