NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
    Featured
Brisbane Broncos players and staff
arrive at Red Hill for crisis meeting

Chris Honnery,
The Courier-Mail
September 18, 2019 9:46am

Veteran Bronco Andrew McCullough admits heads could roll during today’s crisis meeting and said the leadership group should have done more to uphold the cultural standards of the club. Players and coaching staff have congregated at their $27 million high performance centre at Red Hill this morning for a crisis meeting and an end-of-season review.

Brisbane Broncos players Alex Glenn, Darius Boyd and Tevita Pangai Jr arrive at the Clive Berghofer Centre for a crisis meeting. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

Brisbane Broncos players Alex Glenn, Darius Boyd and Tevita Pangai Jr arrive at the Clive Berghofer Centre for a crisis meeting. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

It comes after at least two players, Anthony Milford and David Fifita, left the team hotel in Sydney on Saturday night to play the poker machines less than 24 hours before their season-ending 58-0 loss to Parramatta. Milford, Fifita, McCullough, Corey Oates, Matt Gillett and Payne Haas are understood to have attended a Sydney pub without the knowledge of coach Anthony Seibold on the eve of their biggest game of the season. McCullough – who is part of the Broncos leadership group – this morning admitted the older players should have done more to uphold the cultural standards at the club.

David Fifita, Matt Lodge, Payne Haas and Joe Ofahengaue arrive at the Clive Berghofer Centre. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

David Fifita, Matt Lodge, Payne Haas and Joe Ofahengaue arrive at the Clive Berghofer Centre. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

He said the players had done nothing illegal but agreed it was a bad look for the club. “You’ve got to be smarter with the decisions of putting yourself in those situations,” McCullough told HIT105 radio station.

“If we had won, we wouldn’t be talking about it but since that wasn’t the case but there may be an issue there. “Right across the board, myself and a couple of older boys saw a few blokes going there and maybe should have said you should be doing something else.

“It didn’t really click in the mind. “I didn’t think to say that but I should have...there’s always lessons there. “There’s some tough lessons for myself and some of the older boys.” He said he was aware changes may need to be made at the club following their disappointing 58-0 loss to Parramatta in an elimination final. “We’ll find out today (whether any changes are made),” he said.

“We’re reviewing everything. “Speculation and rumours always comes after a heavy loss. Being an older player within that team, that’s just the way it is. “I’m not blind to the fact that things may need to happen or what. “The reality is, we didn’t perform well and things start to speculate when overall the team’s performance isn’t up to scratch.”

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
A guy who is in the leadership group, has played 200 too many games and played SOO gets called a veteran at like 29, not star or even superstar. Says everything about the guy's ability and status.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
I think the real fear and possibility here is no-one gets moved on and the 'solution' is a serious chat and a positive attitude for next season.

**** everything.
I think there will be players moved on.
Self preservation always comes to the fore.
AS has his arse on the line only 1 year into his contract.
If he gets moved on his career is in ruins if not over not to mention the humiliation.
He will do what he needs to save his career.

Gaz

NRL Player
And here I was thinking we had the preseason from hell last year and now we’re lining up again.

Gaz

NRL Player
I think there will be players moved on.
Self preservation always comes to the fore.
AS has his arse on the line only 1 year into his contract.
If he gets moved on his career is in ruins if not over not to mention the humiliation.
He will do what he needs to save his career.
The good sides are discussing who they are bringing in to improve positions and we’re talking about who we are going to move on to improve positions. Something is wrong with our whole setup. I think we need Gould to do our review more then Newcastle .......and it hurts me to say that.

The Strapper

QCup Player
It would be a better look if this ‘top to bottom review’ was done by an outsider.
If you have ceaser judging ceaser you may not get the outcome needed to fix this.
I am sure siebold ‘s job is not on the table either.
Not saying he should definitely go but his ass should be on the line too.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Judging by how slow and pathetic his decision making is on the field in attack, it doesn’t surprise me that it ‘didn’t click right away’ when he noticed squad members enter the establishment.

All that’s missing was for a patron to tackle McCullough whilst he was standing there taking his time to form a logical decision and you would almost think you were watching a Broncos game.

pagey

NRL Captain
I'm sure Joe mentioned this team would look completely different next year, and that there would be more players moving on.
Not sure if that's already happened or not but I guess there could be hope.

theshed

NRL Player
I'm sure Joe mentioned this team would look completely different next year, and that there would be more players moving on.
Not sure if that's already happened or not but I guess there could be hope.
He said toward the back end of the season that Boyd and Macca’s futures had already been decided. While strongly suggesting Boyd won’t be around next season.

FaithinHook

NRL Player
I think Birdy might be gornskies fellas. Just a feeling. He was a Bennett project, not Seibolds. The only way we can buy a playmaker is to free up a heap of cash. Bird will be the key to doing this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter