Video Thread - NRL Moments

Just got myself a copy of the 1998 Elimination Preliminary Final between Broncos and Melbourne.

The guy I got it from has a lot of Broncos games and a lot of classic games from other teams.

Haven't tested the quality yet. In the process of downloading it.

Hopefully it's good quality. If it is, I'll be buying a lot more and uploading highlights videos.

I've been re-watching some 2009 games and every time I do, I find myself watching the 2009 Preliminary Final between Eels and Bulldogs which is up there as one of the best finals games I've seen.

It was a fiery encounter and a terrific atmosphere. The trainers had their work cut out for them at the start of the game.

I have to wonder though, if that was today would Jarryd Hayne have played the GF? El Masri puts a kick into the corner and Goodwin dives in to pounce on it which he ends up doing and scores but as he was doing that Hayne comes across with the knees and ends up making contact with the head of Goodwin. Goodwin was knocked out cold as a result and the Bulldogs were awarded a possible 8 point try and Hayne was put on report.

I do find Greg McCallum's comments interesting, and rather comical.

His first quote.

“We looked at the more serious charge of dropping knees and it’s clear that Jarryd’s made an effort not to make contact with him with his knee,”

His second quote.

“He actually turns his left knee away and it’s the side of his leg that makes contact over the top of his shoulders and his backside hits him in the head.

I honestly don't see how he came to any of those conclusions. It really sounds like they were trying their hardest to look for a way to not suspend him.

Hayne ended up being charged but it wasn't a severe enough charge to suspend him.

That swinging arm by Morley, probably one of the most vicious swinging arms I've ever seen. It was ugly and he was rightly sent off and GB were down to 12 men for the entire game. They did remarkably well considering that, though.

Speaking of Test matches, the guy I found that has a lot of old Broncos games also has what looks like every International match that's ever been televised. I'm going to see if he has every game Locky played and if he does I'll be putting together a Lockyer Australian highlights reel.

He sells them for cheap too.

Also have Round 11, 2007 and the 2009 QF between Broncos and Titans coming my way. Hopefully I get those soon because the QF game is the only game I'm missing to make a Jharal Yow Yeh career highlights video.

Gotta love those pommy commentators.

I was watching a replay of the 2009 Four Nations final today earlier and the sheer excitement whenever the English players did something well or scored. They were pumped for that first 70 minutes until Australia ran away with it in the final 10.

It was deflation in that final 10 minutes.

[automerge]1559545484[/automerge]

Last edited:
Parramatta Eels 2001 season highlights.

Haven't watched any of those clips, but my vague recollection of 2001 is that the Eels were unstoppable... and then the Knights did them in the Grand Final! What a sweet victory that was. Remember going to a BBQ to watch it, Newy was going off for the next week or two after.

Also remember attending the prelim and seeing us lose to the Eels. My second ever Broncos game.

Haven't watched any of those clips, but my vague recollection of 2001 is that the Eels were unstoppable... and then the Knights did them in the Grand Final! What a sweet victory that was. Remember going to a BBQ to watch it, Newy was going off for the next week or two after.

Also remember attending the prelim and seeing us lose to the Eels. My second ever Broncos game.

You could hear the Eels choking all the way up in North QLD. It was amazing.

I spent the entire year thinking the Eels would get shown up once Brisbane got all their stars on the field. They were playing well, but they didn't have to deal with the dramas other teams had to and come finals time they were going to meet the best teams with the best players on the field. When I found out Tallis didn't make the Grand Final qualifier, I accepted that it was the Eels season and watched the grand final just to let the visual seep it so when the Broncos beat them the next year it would be that much sweeter. I don't think it crossed my mind that Newcastle had an excellent side in their own right and were more than capable of blitzing the Eels. If you look at the teams on paper, it's a shock that anybody was surprised, but we all were.

In a losing side, I thought PJ Marsh was excellent. He was lightening out of dummy half and had a fearlessness to him unlike so many other hookers. It was a crying shame he picked up that neck injury and it just makes you wonder how good the Warriors could have been if he stayed healthy. When he signed with Brisbane, I must admit it went a fair way to filling the hole that Berrigan left in the team. I knew he was well past it, but I never forgot how good he could be on his day.

Otherwise the season itself is really foggy to me. I don't think it emotionally resonated as much with me as the Origin series did. The entire build up was like something out of a movie and those two wins by Queensland are among the best I've witnessed.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.