VPN

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I use Private Internet Access too. It's great.

No Netflix though. If you want Netflix with support that will actually help you get it working, go Express VPN.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Nah, don't need Netflix fella.

Private Internet Access is the one my five solid minutes worth of research led me to, so it's reassuring to know you lads have both had no issues with 'em!

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Same one for me.

I did zero research, but my best mate is a digital forensic investigator so if he tells me it's the one to get I didn't argue. Haha

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I've used it for my entire trip on my phone too. They have servers everywhere. Speed has never been an issue. I still pull full speed at home on my NBN too. Even on Linux distros.

Porthoz

International Captain
I've got IP Vanish which comes with my News Hosting provider. They're a little bit more expensive, but only use their own infrastructure (no third party servers) and keep absolutely 0 logs.

PIA and Express VPN are great too, but NordVPN is probably the safest of all.

Remember that a VPN's purpose can often quickly be undone if you have DNS leaks!

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I've got IP Vanish which comes with my News Hosting provider. They're a little bit more expensive, but only use their own infrastructure (no third party servers) and keep absolutely 0 logs.

PIA and Express VPN are great too, but NordVPN is probably the safest of all.

Remember that a VPN's purpose can often quickly be undone if you have DNS leaks!
In steps captain elite......we don't all sleep on bars of gold.

Sproj

International Rep
So if you have a VPN, using your phone outside Australia should not cost anything right?

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
I've gone with a two year sub to PIA - $86 with 10% off.
I've used it for my entire trip on my phone too. They have servers everywhere. Speed has never been an issue. I still pull full speed at home on my NBN too. Even on Linux distros.
What region do you connect to?

Last edited:

Smartseal

QCup Player
I had PIA, but had to many drop out issues. Changed to be able of pure VPN & works a lot better, however I'm not techo enough to say whether it is a quality provider.
When I got it (nearly 12 mths ago) they had a special of pay for 5 yrs, get 5 free, was around $80aud for the promotion

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
This whole VPN thing was far simpler than I anticipated!

All set up, plugged my DNS leak and doesn't seem to have much of, if any impact on my speed.

Bonzer!

Guess I can become a terrorist now.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I've gone with a two year sub to PIA - $86 with 10% off.

What region do you connect to?
At home I always connect to Sydney or California depending on what I'm doing.

I had PIA, but had to many drop out issues. Changed to be able of pure VPN & works a lot better, however I'm not techo enough to say whether it is a quality provider.
When I got it (nearly 12 mths ago) they had a special of pay for 5 yrs, get 5 free, was around $80aud for the promotion
Never had an issue beyond my phone app cracking the shits. And I put that down to my phone just being a super d-bag most of the time.

gordjw

NRL Player
Sunny Canberra
So if you have a VPN, using your phone outside Australia should not cost anything right?
No, you still have to connect to the local phone network, and you'll still end up with roaming charges. It's just that your telco can't see what you're looking at once you're connected to the VPN.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
So, I just had an online order automatically refunded with the following reasoning:

Your order was REFUNDED because our system marked the order as Fraudulent – “High Risk Internet Connection”.
Guessing this is because of my VPN. Anyone else had this issue before? No big deal, I'll just switch it off to place my order.

I've also noticed some websites randomly make me go through a CAPTCHA check or something before letting me through.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter