VPN

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ningnangnong, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

Who's running one? Any recommendations?

Tags:
  2. I do, the service I use is called Private Internet Access. It works, that's all I can say.

gordjw and ningnangnong like this.
  3. I use Private Internet Access too. It's great.

No Netflix though. If you want Netflix with support that will actually help you get it working, go Express VPN.

ningnangnong likes this.
  4. ningnangnong

Nah, don't need Netflix fella.

Private Internet Access is the one my five solid minutes worth of research led me to, so it's reassuring to know you lads have both had no issues with 'em!

5. Clintos

Clintos NRL Captain

Same one for me.

I did zero research, but my best mate is a digital forensic investigator so if he tells me it's the one to get I didn't argue. Haha

ningnangnong likes this.
  6. soup

soup

Just bough a 12m subscription with Private Internet Access. BHQ should be getting commission!

ningnangnong and GKDonkey like this.
  7. I've used it for my entire trip on my phone too. They have servers everywhere. Speed has never been an issue. I still pull full speed at home on my NBN too. Even on Linux distros.

soup and ningnangnong like this.
  8. I've got IP Vanish which comes with my News Hosting provider. They're a little bit more expensive, but only use their own infrastructure (no third party servers) and keep absolutely 0 logs.

PIA and Express VPN are great too, but NordVPN is probably the safest of all.

Remember that a VPN's purpose can often quickly be undone if you have DNS leaks!

soup, bb_gun and ningnangnong like this.
  9. In steps captain elite......we don't all sleep on bars of gold.

Morkel likes this.
  10. Sproj

Sproj

So if you have a VPN, using your phone outside Australia should not cost anything right?

11. ningnangnong

I've gone with a two year sub to PIA - $86 with 10% off.
    What region do you connect to?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

I had PIA, but had to many drop out issues. Changed to be able of pure VPN & works a lot better, however I'm not techo enough to say whether it is a quality provider.
    When I got it (nearly 12 mths ago) they had a special of pay for 5 yrs, get 5 free, was around $80aud for the promotion

13. It's free with my news hosting subscription... try again.

Harry Sack likes this.
  14. ningnangnong

This whole VPN thing was far simpler than I anticipated!

All set up, plugged my DNS leak and doesn't seem to have much of, if any impact on my speed.

Bonzer!

Guess I can become a terrorist now.

15. Aw.....you ruined my fun

Porthoz likes this.
  16. Oh, I'm sorry... not. :dealwithit:

17. At home I always connect to Sydney or California depending on what I'm doing.

Never had an issue beyond my phone app cracking the shits. And I put that down to my phone just being a super d-bag most of the time.

18. gordjw

gordjw NRL Player

No, you still have to connect to the local phone network, and you'll still end up with roaming charges. It's just that your telco can't see what you're looking at once you're connected to the VPN.

19. Yeah, we are still paying $5 a day to roam. It's mainly for free wifi that I'm using it.

20. ningnangnong

So, I just had an online order automatically refunded with the following reasoning:

Guessing this is because of my VPN. Anyone else had this issue before? No big deal, I'll just switch it off to place my order.

I've also noticed some websites randomly make me go through a CAPTCHA check or something before letting me through.