NEWS Wally Lewis: Broncos no longer the QLD dream

Wally Lewis says the Broncos are letting QLD down:

Watch the full interview here.

"Walsh and Walker both, they were players that should have been in a Brisbane Broncos jersey, there's no doubt about that whatsoever. It would be interesting to see who made the final decision on saying, 'No, well we can't go here'."

"Obviously money would have played a little bit of a part in it but boy ... you know players, when you grow up in the state of Queensland and when both of these guys were in the most exciting time of their life, when they were around 12, 13, 14 years of age, they would have wanted to be Brisbane Broncos. There's no doubt about that."

"To see them opt for a different pasture is confusing. Obviously managers would have played a fair bit of a role in that but the player has the last say. Even if he can sign for a little bit less to go to a club that has a magnetic attraction, that is a great opportunity for them. Sadly, that seems to have disappeared in the recent years at the Broncos."

"You know a player is a good player when you see him at that first moment, when you just happen to see that he's got something that some players haven't, that special bit of talent about them. They probably had a look at him and thought, 'Well, he's obviously got a bit of skill on board, there's no doubt about that'. They didn't make the judgement, though, that he is quite as good as what he has shown."

"It's got to have a magnetic attraction about it. I keep using that word ... they've got to start winning games. Players years ago, they just wanted to be at the Broncos. If you gave them a choice of what club, when they had the Lockyers, the Sam Thaidays, all of the great players playing in there, they wanted to be there. Even that started back in the 80s and 90s, when Alf was playing; they all wanted to be at Allan Langer's club, Kevvy Walters' club, to get on board. That's changed a little bit now over the years and it just isn't quite as good a club as what it once appeared."

"Donaghy wants players to once again feel quite comfortable should they come to the Brisbane Broncos. Brisbane, it used to be the hottest position for a player to get in, to attract an offer to come down here and play football for what was the most famous football team in the state of Queensland. There is no doubt about that at all. He wants to turn that around and make it once again a very proud moment in a player's life."

McHunt

You know things are bad when i read this post and thought to myself with a smile “we’ve won 5 games?”
Yep only one to go this season and we already equal last year's mighty effort. Mind you that was a shorter season and we got two of those wins before Covid hit and Fifita fucked off for surgery.

Agreed, and the powers that be should never allow them to don a QLD jersey either.
I thought being the underdog is what it's all about being a qlder, all these young fuckers leaving shouldn't be allowed back in the state.
Be interested to hear your opinions on Kiwis, NSWelshman and dogs.

I watched the video, Wally really loves to ramble on, talks a lot but doesn’t really say anything. Brevity is your friend big fella!

Want a solution to this whole problem? Teenage players shouldn't be allowed to get paid higher than x amount.

That way, development clubs don't get their top juniors for which their retention team know will be future stars, signing elsewhere for a million a year.

The broncos eye player A, B & C as the cornerstone to build a club around in the future, let player D, E, F & G go from their nursery since they are not priority 1.

You give A, B, C a run or two in top grade to blood them and then in comes a club or two with a marquee spot on their roster to pay on potential, and then the development club loses all 3.

Add to that, the club shed several older and cheaper players to clear money on their roster to give these kids a contract and are now left with no top grade players

However that wouldn't need to happen if the teenage players weren't paid big money before they've played a full season or grown hair on their balls

Want a solution to this whole problem? Teenage players shouldn't be allowed to get paid higher than x amount.

That way, development clubs don't get their top juniors for which their retention team know will be future stars, signing elsewhere for a million a year.

The broncos eye player A, B & C as the cornerstone to build a club around in the future, let player D, E, F & G go from their nursery since they are not priority 1.

You give A, B, C a run or two in top grade to blood them and then in comes a club or two with a marquee spot on their roster to pay on potential, and then the development club loses all 3.

Add to that, the club shed several older and cheaper players to clear money on their roster to give these kids a contract and are now left with no top grade players

However that wouldn't need to happen if the teenage players weren't paid big money before they've played a full season or grown hair on their balls
Will it be the club or the NRL’s responsibility to monitor the pubic hair growth patterns?

We have definitely lost the aura of perpetual success that we had carried for the majority of our existence. That much can't be denied. It's on Donuts and Walters now to bring it back, despite the likes of P. Kunt hoping it stays gone.

The word football education seems to be thrown around a lot. Is there a simpler way to describe it or break it down? Pretty sure Walker said it played a part in him going to Roosters in an interview.

The word football education seems to be thrown around a lot. Is there a simpler way to describe it or break it down? Pretty sure Walker said it played a part in him going to Roosters in an interview.
A good point you raise. In terms of football education, some clubs have an inherent culture that teaches footy smarts from very early on in their footy development. I think when we came into the comp most of that footy smarts resided with one custodian (WB).

If you look at the present group of Broncos you'd have to say the majority of them were pretty clueless when it came to footy nous. You then have to ask why is that?I don't think the Broncos ever embraced the idea of teaching footy smarts as they were so overflowing with talent that they got by on talent alone.

When Coates tried to catch Parra's kick off last week while trying to keep a foot on the line he ended up stuffing it up. The idea was there, but he never knew all he had to do was touch the ball while having his foot on the line. No need to catch it!

When Isaako tried the short dropout. It was a worthwhile idea, but Oatsy is not renowned for catching the ball so instead he should have been kicking towards Coates.

Why are simple strategies like these not discussed and taught to the team. The number of times our guys miss the opportunity to 'force' the refs or the bunker to take action makes it obvious those aspects of the game are just not in the sphere of learning for our guys.

Unfortunately, Kevvie is still trying to get them out of kindy as far as footy smarts go.

Can concur, many kids don't even follow the Broncs at Juniors (well, not at my clubs anyways). Hell, one of my own kids doesn't even follow them (fortunately for him he's turned out alright so happily claim him) - my other son has been ridiculed for following the Broncos by some of his team mates, like WTF.

my other son has been ridiculed for following the Broncos by some of his team mates, like WTF.
Brisbane haven't won a premiership since 2006, made one GF in that time since, and have been pretty off the boil for a few years running now. Is it any wonder kids tease your son about supporting a shit team?

if you look at it through the lens of a non-broncos fan, we've been pretty average for a long time now.

Can concur, many kids don't even follow the Broncs at Juniors (well, not at my clubs anyways). Hell, one of my own kids doesn't even follow them (fortunately for him he's turned out alright so happily claim him) - my other son has been ridiculed for following the Broncos by some of his team mates, like WTF.
Kids follow clubs that win and become ingrained. Would we all have followed Brisbane if they didn't win 92-93 (for the oldies) and 97/98/00 (for the newbies)?

Start winning, and get the kids back.

Sinking ship?

Nmmcgogncov

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Rambstien
  • HarryAllan7
  • Jedhead
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.