Walters: Blair must lift for Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRISBANE legend Kevin Walters has challenged Adam Blair to spearhead the club’s title charge as the chief enforcer comes under fire from Broncos fans for Andrew McCullough’s season-ending injury.

As he prepares for Saturday’s derby clash with the Titans, Blair is copping brickbats from all angles over the ‘friendly fire’ moment against the Eels last week that left engine-room partner McCullough with a snapped ACL.

Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis unloaded on Blair in the wake of the McCullough setback, saying “the footy gods have come back to punish him” for attempting late shots on rival players.

The fallout continued at Red Hill, with Blair forced to defend himself after training when a female Broncos supporter took aim at him over the McCullough accident.

Brisbane’s No. 1 prop explained he was merely “doing his job”, but the firestorm of criticism underlines the pressure on Blair to lead the pack without the Broncos’ most industrious forward.

Walters won five premierships at Brisbane with front-row greats Glenn Lazarus, Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva setting the platform and the five-eighth icon says Blair has every incentive to lift.

“Blair has to roll his sleeves up and get the work done,” said Walters, who skippered Brisbane to the 2000 premiership.

“The key for the Broncos is for their engine room to step up. It was that way when we won premierships at the Broncos, guys like Shane Webcke and Petero always held their own and dominated the opposition.

“I like the Broncos forward pack. They are as good as anyone in the competition when they play well — Matt Gillett, Sam Thaiday, Blair and Korbin Sims are quality players.

“Gillett and (Josh) McGuire are the two guys who can’t do anymore but premierships are won upfront and someone has to step up to cover for McCullough.

“Blair has a bit more to give and probably all their forwards would agree that there is more for them to do.

“McCullough’s workrate is going to be so hard to replace.

“The Broncos can still have a great season, but the ball is in their court.”

Blair was outstanding in Brisbane’s surge to the 2015 grand final, but he has had a turbulent past fortnight.

The unfortunate McCullough drama aside, Blair was sin-binned for ill-discipline in the Broncos’ 42-12 rout of the Bulldogs in round 20.

The 31-year-old is averaging 78m per game this season — ranking him a lowly 68th among middle-forward in the NRL.

Blair faces a tough front-row clash with Gold Coast’s Origin enforcer Jarrod Wallace in the M1 derby and Broncos forward colleague Matt Gillett insists Brisbane can still break an 11-year title drought.

“What we have here now is a pretty fair squad — there’s no reason for us to not go all the way this year,” he said.

“We have the team here. I know Macca has an unfortunate injury and will miss the season, but we have the squad here that the players who come in did a great job.

“That’s the expectation of putting on the Broncos jersey. No matter where you’re playing, you’ve got to do your job for the team.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/0671f153b20d50968a363d1b2ce0d417

Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis unloaded on Blair in the wake of the McCullough setback, saying “the footy gods have come back to punish him” for attempting late shots on rival players.

Like I needed another reason to despise the raging bullshitter. Honestly keep this scumbag away from any of our club functions hereafter. He doesn't deserve any of our fans' respect whatsoever. Where is the banner at? We play the Titans this week it should be making an appearance.

Is that the "your Mum's a rig" banner ......?

@BHQ
Why can't we use profanities any more?

Is that the "your Mum's a rig" banner ......?

The 'Raging Fool' banner that was created for one of the games last season.

May have been the Roosters game? Possibly the Bulldogs?

The other banner was one of the most classless signs I've seen at the footy.

The 'Raging Fool' banner that was created for one of the games last season.

May have been the Roosters game? Possibly the Bulldogs?

The other banner was one of the most classless signs I've seen at the footy.
Almost certain it was taken to the tits game at Suncorp. I wonder if they would allow it in at Skilled Park....

Far out Blair cops it in the media. Fair enough he deserved criticism for his no show at the tigers for a few years but ever since he has been at the Broncs he has been very good.

I know he also gets called "dirty" by alot of fans and media also and I really cant remember an incident where you could point and say that was just grubby. Sure there is but I can't recall any.

He hasn't been in his best form but I think more should be asked of thaiday and sims. Both are lucky they make the 17 going on the last few months

The C word is excluded from the profanities list.......

Seriously?

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  • Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.