NEWS Walters' credibility past tipping point

In the aftermatch of a botched PR campaign responding to reports of "mixed messaging," beseiged Brisbane coach Kevin Walters is back on the grill for habitual backflipping and "blatant lying."

Brent Read says the Broncos will be chipping in close to $1.5 million to get Mathew Lodge off the books, 50% higher than earlier reports. Two days before, Walters said:

“Lodge will be staying here. We just need to get some security, some safety around the players on their futures and that’s the decision we’ve made. The uncertainty was probably one of the factors among the playing group and who’s staying, who’s going, so we put it in a basket and put it to the side. No one’s going anywhere, we’re going to finish the season in a positive note, in a good note, in a winning note.”

Dave Donaghy is now in damage control:

“Stability is important for our squad and our club but so too is making the right decisions for the long-term, and sometimes those decisions aren’t easy. There have been conversations since the back end of last year with regard to Matthew’s future at the club from both sides."

"There was no real viable option at any point up until the last 48 hours. Last week the guys had the bye with the rep weekend, they have all come back in and as all coaches do and should, Kevvie has wrapped an arm around his players and put a position forward based off the question he was asked which was absolutely accurate at that point."

“Following that there were a number of conversations that happened and changed the goalposts, which can often happen in rugby league happen quickly.”

McHunt

some comments from Kevvie today that i thought were interesting:

“We’ve got great staff here now that are assisting with the roster, the management of the roster which has been taken off me, which is great. That enables me to now go and coach the team... which I’m looking forward to.

“There may be some other changes around the roster but that won’t have anything to do with me personally. My job is to coach this team and that’s what I’ll be doing.”

-----------------

although I've got no doubt that he'll still have serious input into the roster. He'll still be given a team resembling something he wants.

the roster we have today wasn't Kev's fault that was down to Nolan and Seibold. Some of the positive changes (Reynolds and Capewell) are in part due to Kev. but it looks like Ikin will take full responsibility for the roster moving forward.

Worrying signs. How many coaches have lost control over their roster? Is Kev one of these people that can only do 1 task at a time?

Worrying signs. How many coaches have lost control over their roster? Is Kev one of these people that can only do 1 task at a time?
Let's just hope he can do 1 task well? That would be nice.

you may be right ... but Kev has never been given a chance to build a roster. this is likely a reaction to what our former coach did to the roster.

the first three acquisitions that we got before this were very positive moves

yeah it does seem odd. no other coach int he comp has ever come out and said they dont have control of the roster. its been pointed out time and time again that a coach normally wants a player then its up to someone above the coach to make it happen regarding salary etc.

maybe this is what chris johns was talking about when he quit. seems that the higher ups at the broncs have very little faith in kevie and I fear it will only be a matter of time before he is moved on.

i personally doubt he will be our coach in 2023.

yeah it does seem odd. no other coach int he comp has ever come out and said they dont have control of the roster. its been pointed out time and time again that a coach normally wants a player then its up to someone above the coach to make it happen regarding salary etc.

maybe this is what chris johns was talking about when he quit. seems that the higher ups at the broncs have very little faith in kevie and I fear it will only be a matter of time before he is moved on.

Paul McGreggor had no control over his roster and team selections were a 3 way vote for each position every week. Although not a great example as he was removed the end of that year.

Paul McGreggor had no control over his roster and team selections were a 3 way vote for each position every week. Although not a great example as he was removed the end of that year.

If Kevvie doesn't dramatically improve, he may not see halfway through next year.

some comments from Kevvie today that i thought were interesting:

“We’ve got great staff here now that are assisting with the roster, the management of the roster which has been taken off me, which is great. That enables me to now go and coach the team... which I’m looking forward to.

“There may be some other changes around the roster but that won’t have anything to do with me personally. My job is to coach this team and that’s what I’ll be doing.”

-----------------

although I've got no doubt that he'll still have serious input into the roster. He'll still be given a team resembling something he wants.

the roster we have today wasn't Kev's fault that was down to Nolan and Seibold. Some of the positive changes (Reynolds and Capewell) are in part due to Kev. but it looks like Ikin will take full responsibility for the roster moving forward.
I don't think he would be totally removed from R&R duties, but earlier in the year they were saying that Kevvie was having to do everything and wearing too many hats.

The coach absolutely must have a say in the roster, because there's no point signing a bloke that the coach doesn't want.

I'd say his comments are just about him not having to personally do all the wheeling and dealing anymore and he can just focus on coaching... this is the same club where Kevvie had to organise his own interviews to announce his arrival as head coach, so he was very likely having to carry the R&R around the joint as well.

Staff around the place have been asleep at the wheel and it's likely Kevvie has been having to carry it on his shoulders to keep things moving forward.

I think it's Kev just getting tongue tied again. Of course he'd have input into the roster management but he's thrown a bone to get the media off his scent around player comings and goings.

Apparently Bennett at souths

I think where kevie gets himself into bother is that he has bought into that snake oil salesman's (the "coach whisperer") theories hook line and sinker. He tries to speak only in positives and absolutes which makes him sound like a bit of a weirdo at times and look like a jackass when things go differently.

Reading between the lines in that statement i am getting the impression that it is the club's response to the suggestion he doesnt have support, and this also enables kevie to deflect R&R questions from the media which he has struggled with. These questions can then be answered in considered and prepared responses from the club rather than kevie being put on the spot.

I’m getting sick of listening to Kevvie speak because he can’t string together two coherent or sensical sentences. It’s no wonder the players and media are questioning his communication skills (which Kev ironically thinks is his strength). I think the problem isn’t just his inability to articulate, but he has nothing to articulate - no strategy, acumen, intelligence or answers. No offence but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and if he can’t manage people effectively, then what does he offer? Clearly, he and senior management are not on the same page. Better cut our losses if he’s not the long term solution.

I’m getting sick of listening to Kevvie speak because he can’t string together two coherent or sensical sentences. It’s no wonder the players and media are questioning his communication skills (which Kev ironically thinks is his strength). I think the problem isn’t just his inability to articulate, but he has nothing to articulate - no strategy, acumen, intelligence or answers. No offence but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and if he can’t manage people effectively, then what does he offer? Clearly, he and senior management are not on the same page. Better cut our losses if he’s not the long term solution.
Thanks for that unsolicited comment Mr Green.

Active Now

• Browny
  • kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.