Walters, Tallis tell it as it is

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...nd-kevin-walters/story-fniabm4i-1226712260237

BRISBANE legend Kevin Walters has expressed his concern at the state of the Broncos, saying sweeping reform is needed following the worst season in the club's decorated 25-year history.

A five-time premiership winner at Brisbane, Walters believes urgent changes must be made and blasted claims coach Anthony Griffin requires more resources to rebuild the club as an NRL force.

Broncos boss Paul White is under pressure to launch an inquiry into the club after former skipper Gorden Tallis declared Brisbane had lost their aura in his Courier-Mail column on Wednesday.

Walters, currently an assistant to Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, has been reluctant to offer a public appraisal of the Broncos given his 11-year reign as the club's champion five-eighth.

But with Brisbane’s season now officially over, Walters has aired his grievances not as a prospective Broncos coach, but a life member saddened by the club's premiership free-fall.

"If the Broncos don’t change what they are doing, they will get the same results," said Walters, who played 241 games for the Broncos between 1990-2001.

"They talk about a lack of resources ... we won six premierships out of a crappy little tin shed with a gym and playing field (at Red Hill).

"I am speaking as an ex-player and former captain of the club, and I am disappointed with the direction the club is taking.

"There's no doubt they need to make some changes. Where that is is not for me to decide, but there needs to be a review of what’s going on at the club."

Walters has been linked with the Broncos post for 2015, but insists he has not been approached and would offer insights regardless of whether or not he aspires to coach the club.

White has publicly backed Griffin for next season, with Broncos figureheads believing the besieged coach would benefit from having better personnel and a beefed-up football department.

But Walters questioned that assessment, claiming the Broncos, one of the NRL’s few profitable clubs, are already better resourced than many of their premiership rivals.

He also pointed to a star-studded roster containing eight representative stars in Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett, Justin Hodges, Ben Hannant, Jack Reed, Josh Hoffman and Alex Glenn.

"I think they are not handling their recruitment or their players well," Walters said.

"Look, I love the place, and I have aspirations to maybe go back and work there one day.

"I don’t know the exact spend at every club, but my information tells me the Broncos and Storm are the two that spend the most on their football departments. Anthony Griffin has two assistants, they have all the resources there to be finishing higher than 13th.

"In my time, we didn’t have the same resources and we still won premierships. I accept times have changed, Melbourne are certainly well-funded in the football department, but it’s not the be-all and end-all.

"Playmaker or not, the Broncos have a stack of representative players. They have five or six Origin players and three internationals ... surely they can do something with that?

"They had the opportunity to grab a playmaker last year. (Johnathan) Thurston, (Daly) Cherry-Evans and (Cooper) Cronk were off-contract but they weren’t interested for whatever reason.

"Their roster is by far from the worst in the league. They have good enough players to be competitive."

Speaking on NRL 360 on Wednesday night, Tallis continued his attack on the Broncos, claiming Griffin cannot turn the club around.

"I don’t think he can fix it," Tallis said.

"I hope and pray we are going to be better. I can’t see it improving if it stays the same.

"For the first time ever, we look unfit.

"I think the Broncos are getting over-run in the last 20 minutes. That’s never happened before. We were always match-hardened and if we got beaten it wasn’t on fitness and not wanting to put our bodies on the line.

"Over the last three years this side has started to slow down."

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

As it stands, Griffin leaves himself open to accusations of bias toward his connections at former club Redcliffe. It must be diluted. He can start by reviewing high-performance chief Tony Guilfoyle, the former Redcliffe conditioner who has faced an onerous task succeeding Benton.

Same old same old from both of them but they are right. Changes need to be made and this Broncos team is far from terrible on paper and is easily capable of a 5-8 placing on the table.

So that's a no on the assistant coaching position then?

He makes some valid points but the whole yarn about resources is a bit rich. Yes, current players have better equipment than the Broncos of the 90s...but the equipment the club had by the time Kevie arrived was state of the art.

Walters wants Griffins job. Maybe that's why we've seen Tallis and Renouf shred the broncos.....Interesting off season ahead

The coaching and the spine is bad. I think the rest of the team is great though.
Get Griffin away from coaching attack and coaching defence instead (or nothing( and we'll improve.

Tallis, Renouf and Walters, they're lining up and aren't exactly a peanut gallery.

the Broncos decline resembles that of the great West Indian cricket team- the team was terrible for years but continued to win because of the aura that surrounded the group. sides expected to lose against them and subsequently did.
Once the aura goes the reality emerges.
I have been prattling on about the state of the Broncos for years- we are so far behind in terms of modern football nous that it isn't funny.
The club needs a visionary at the helm- White has shown that he is intimidated by the responsibility of his role and Griffin is so far out Of his depth that it is an embarrassment.
Until we have leadership and management that can steer the boat we will continue to hit the oyster trays.
I repeat my mantra, 'we deserve so much more'.

the Broncos decline resembles that of the great West Indian cricket team- the team was terrible for years but continued to win because of the aura that surrounded the group. sides expected to lose against them and subsequently did.
Once the aura goes the reality emerges.
I have been prattling on about the state of the Broncos for years- we are so far behind in terms of modern football nous that it isn't funny.
The club needs a visionary at the helm- White has shown that he is intimidated by the responsibility of his role and Griffin is so far out Of his depth that it is an embarrassment.
Until we have leadership and management that can steer the boat we will continue to hit the oyster trays.
I repeat my mantra, 'we deserve so much more'.

That's so far from the truth it's just not even funny. And why does everyone think hook is useless except lockyer .

There's an article in the Courier today (can't link as I don't have access, PLEASE someone post it!) where Glenn talks about this:

"BRONCOS vice-captain Alex Glenn is hurt by criticism from past greats but concedes their remarks about respect for the jersey may be warranted."

This seems to be escalating quickly.

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

In an honest appraisal of the Broncos' season, Glenn admitted there were times when the players had lost sight of who they were playing for and the club's proud legacy. With only 10 wins, the season will go down as the worst in club history and the second time in four years the Broncos have missed the finals.
The fadeout prompted several past greats, including former skipper Gorden Tallis, Steve Renouf, Shane Webcke and Kevin Walters to question the direction of the club.
Glenn said the criticism hurt but agreed with the view of Tallis who claimed the current squad were taking the club jersey for granted.

So that's a no on the assistant coaching position then?

He makes some valid points but the whole yarn about resources is a bit rich. Yes, current players have better equipment than the Broncos of the 90s...but the equipment the club had by the time Kevie arrived was state of the art.

No state of the art at Broncos, Benny had a rule flash gyms make soft people. Even when the refurb was done in 2008 it was done around the gym it wasn't upgraded.

It was the same Wests set up from 88 to 08.

Duney has pulled out of the Cows job. Kevvie firms a bit for the job.

I heard that there was a petition being organized to keep Neil Henry up there ?

I'm glad Alex Glenn admitted that during the season they lacked a bit of pride in the jersey, it really showed, hopefully next season they give it everything they've got, every game.

A more balanced perspective from Darren Lockyer, than all the doom and gloom we've been reading from other former Broncos greats. I don't know whether I agree with his opinion of Hook, but I definitely agree that chopping and changing continuously won't improve things.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/its-not-all-doom-and-gloom-for-the-brisbane-broncos-darren-lockyer/story-fniabm4i-1226713506660
I CAN'T say I was left shocked by some criticisms levelled at the Broncos by club legends in recent days. Gorden Tallis, Kevin Walters and Steve Renouf are guys I played with and you won't find three more passionate people about the club.
They have spoken out because they care about the Broncos.
They want the club to uphold the benchmarks they helped set. And while I think many of their grievances are certainly valid, I also believe some perspective is needed because if you take a holistic view of the Broncos, they are far from being an NRL basket case.
I actually respect Gorden for having the strength of character to deliver some home truths. That's Gordie. He says what he thinks. For a while now there have been quiet whispers, but Gorden's beliefs have opened a forum for frank discussion.

He has laid it on the line, and clearly quite a few people feel the same way as him.
Personally, it would be hard to argue the Broncos haven't lost their aura because of their on-field performances in recent years.
That erosion comes from missing the finals twice in four seasons.
But I also believe Brisbane's plight has been overstated.

In a sense, the current Broncos are prisoners of unrealistic expectations; paying the price for a golden era at Red Hill that may never be repeated and many other NRL rivals can only dream about.
Phil Gould made a fair observation in Channel Nine's coverage on Thursday night when he said the premiership-winning Broncos sides of the 1990s had up to 11 Origin players.
It is simply not fair to compare the class of 2013 to the Broncos sides of yesteryear.
Under the salary cap laws today, putting together a comparable roster is virtually impossible.

As clubs like Parramatta and Canberra have discovered, the downside of great dynasties is that inevitably there is pain. Success in any sport is cyclical, and the Broncos are now stuck in a tough cycle, but I believe the club has the structures to fight their way back quickly.
On and off the field, there are positives generating momentum to take the Broncos forward.
There is no better example than Corey Oates. At a time when the Broncos have copped stick for their development, Oates is proof of the talent that exists underneath.
His development in the last three months has been remarkable. He is a teenager with plenty of talent but I also like the maturity he showed once again on Thursday night.
At 18, he is already a match-winner.
In an administrative sense, the club's chief executive, Paul White, is a fine operator.
He has got the front office in order, but he is also pragmatic and accepts the club may have to take its medicine before moving forward.
Some will argue Anthony Griffin is not the right coach to rebuild the Broncos in 2014. I disagree.
In my final year at the club in 2011, 'Hook' was in his first season as an NRL coach.
Even then, he proved to me can be a very successful coach in the NRL.
The challenge now for Anthony and the Broncos is identifying the right men in key positions and staying patient.
Too much disruption of personnel never produces results.
That's why I hope Ben Hunt is given time to mature at halfback.
I liked the things he did when given an extended run at halfback this year and he showed that, if partnered with a quality five-eighth, he can be the answer.
Ben Barba is a long-term option at fullback next year.
As he showed on Thursday night, he isn't in the form he once was, but with a fresh start next year, hopefully in a happier place mentally, Barba will get his mojo back.
In terms of facilities, obviously it helps but it's not what decides premierships.
The Broncos have plans to build a new high-performance centre, but unless you get the right people in with the right systems, state-of-the-art facilities will not get you anywhere.
The expectation of Broncos fans will be to make the finals next year but on the back of this season, expecting the 2014 squad to win the premiership is unrealistic.
No Bronco worth their salt is denying it will take a lot of hard work to turn things around ... but it's not all doom-and-gloom either.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • BruiserMk1
  • Griffo
  • Behold
  • Tim K
  • Alec
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • mieko
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.