NEWS Wam bam, thank you Mam

Kevin Walters has confirmed the plan to move Kotoni to the coveted number 6 position is off. At this stage it's still wide open, with several names competing to face Souths in Round one. But one bolter is gaining momentum.

Former premiership winning five-eighth Kevin Walters said:

“Ezra was outstanding this year in the Intrust Super Cup as an 18-year-old kid so I’ve certainly got my eye on him. Kotoni will start the year in the centres. I like what Kotoni brings to us out wide, so the No.6 jersey is up for grabs for someone who wants to make it theirs in pre-season. We have a number of options in Albert Kelly, Tyson Gamble, Billy Walters and just recently we added young Ezra Mam to our squad. Competition is great for all positions.”

ScreenScreenshot 2021 11 11 at 12 29 08 Ezra Mam on Instagram 21 done n dusted slmagpies Ma

Former premiership winning five-eighth Ben Ikin said:

“Ezra is a very natural player. He has the same skip and acceleration of a Matt Bowen. One minute they are in front of you and the next minute they are gone. There’s a whole lot of things he does in a game that can’t be coached, but he is also quickly developing solid game awareness in and around all the natural skill and ability he has got."

“He is a solid defender who makes good decisions and is getting better at understanding what a playmaker needs to do on behalf of the team to get a result. His development will only accelerate by the time he gets in and around Adam Reyolds who is one of the game’s best playmakers.”

“Ezra can play both five-eighth and halfback. He has a great running game, very subtle skill and a good passing game. Ezra can play tough as well, he isn’t afraid of contact either side of the ball. He has the world at his feet and doesn’t shy away from the hard work at training. He is giving himself every chance to fulfil his potential. It’s a question for the coach on when Ezra plays NRL but there is great competition for five-eighth spots. Reynolds is going to be the seven and with Ezra coming into the top 30 alongside Tyson Gamble, Albert Kelly and Billy Walters, it’s a healthy position for the club to be in.”

McHunt

on ya kev, keeping the illusion alive that you won’t just give your kid the 6.
Ezra will be doing well to get a game with the experience ahead of him in the queue:

Gamble
Kelly
Walters
Martin
Roberts
Mam

Poor predictable Badel jumping on board a bandwagon.

Who would have thought aye @McHunt
Not sure what you mean. Ezra is the longest contracted half in the club, along with Reynolds. That's hardly a bandwagon. That's a club endorsement.

Ezra will be doing well to get a game with the experience ahead of him in the queue:

Gamble
Kelly
Walters
Martin
Roberts
Mam
Yeah and nor should he get a game anytime soon.

For once can we just leave a promising young kid in reserve grade to develop there before he hits the big time. This is exactly what we signed Reynolds for, so we can groom our next generation of playmakers. By mid / late next year we should have Mam getting some game time alongside Reynolds, then we can have a whole year of them together before Reynolds hangs up the boots and Mam takes over.

For once can we just leave a promising young kid in reserve grade to develop there before he hits the big time. This is exactly what we signed Reynolds for, so we can groom our next generation of playmakers. By mid / late next year we should have Mam getting some game time alongside Reynolds, then we can have a whole year of them together before Reynolds hangs up the boots and Mam takes over.

If his form is demanding his selection over more senior players the i think its fair enough. Still think a good grounding in ISC is invaluable.

Didn't we try that with Reece Walsh?

Didn't we try that with Reece Walsh?

don't even try to compare Mam and Walsh.

one is prepared to do the hard yards, develop his game and fight for a position ... the other cut and run to a team prepared to allow him to skip a couple of steps

Badel just keeps breaking news.

firstly do you mean to tell me that a top 30 half is in contention for a vacant 5/8 spot ... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Not to mention that we all knew 4 months ago that Staggs wasn't moving to the halves in 2022

on ya kev, keeping the illusion alive that you won’t just give your kid the 6.
I have no doubt that he is planning this. And with the slim options around, he may be the best suited.

Badel just keeps breaking news.

firstly do you mean to tell me that a top 30 half is in contention for a vacant 5/8 spot ... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Not to mention that we all knew 4 months ago that Staggs wasn't moving to the halves in 2022
Stop the presses Foordy, Badel is set to announce Reynolds is a likely contender for Broncos goalkicker in 2022!

Never saw that coming I swear!

I have no doubt that he is planning this. And with the slim options around, he may be the best suited.
It was a joke until I saw the video of Billy Walters and his family where he says that Kev told him “there’s other blokes available for the 6 so if their in better shape than you I won’t pick ya”. Or something like that. Made it sound like it was his to lose lol

It was a joke until I saw the video of Billy Walters and his family where he says that Kev told him “there’s other blokes available for the 6 so if their in better shape than you I won’t pick ya”. Or something like that. Made it sound like it was his to lose lol

i think some people are seeing what the want to see and reading too much into these things.

there are several players who play for their fathers teams ... Nathan Cleary is about the only one guaranteed a position

i think some people are seeing what the want to see and reading too much into these things.

there are several players who play for their fathers teams ... Nathan Cleary is about the only one guaranteed a position
I don’t think he’ll actually do it. It would be far too obviously the wrong decision unless there was a mass personnel crisis.

Is anyone we have inarguably better than Walters though? We've got a bunch of reserve graders, an old fat bloke from ESL and an 18 year old who can't defend.

If Billy is the worst option, it's not by much.

Active Now

• Morepudding
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Nerd
  • something
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncs30
  • The Don
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.