SPOILER WARNING SPOILERS - Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Morkel, Nov 2, 2017.

Of course. That plot didn’t work at all in the original trilogy...

1. Is that boy at the end a potential Jedi?

The scene with the broom, he reaches out and the broom comes to him.

2. Sproj

Sproj

Yes of course.

If that's the case then it kind of shits all over the title.

The Last Jedi but then we discover that there are going to be more of them..

3. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    If you wanted to watch the original trilogy again, why not just do that instead.

The biggest criticism of TFA was that it was the same shit they'd done before. Personally I'm glad they attempted something different. It can still be Star Wars without rehashing the same tropes again and again.

Harry Sack, Sproj and Nashy like this.

4. Just out of curiosity, do you genuinely believe it is as good as Episodes IV and V ?

5. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Luke literally says "I will not be the last Jedi"...

6. But didn't he only say that as some creative way of saying "The force doesn't need the Jedi"?

7. Sproj

Sproj

He wanted to get rid of the Jedi himself, he had cut himself off from the force, etc and then as he said that line it immediately flashes to Rey. Pretty clear that was a torch passing moment.

8. Sproj

Sproj

No it isn’t but it is the next level down. Nothing will ever match those two movies (except Star Wars Rebels season two finale - Twilight of the Apprentice), that was deadset possibly even better. If you don’t believe me, watch it, it was phenomenal).

I think where VIII fits in the saga very much depends on what happens in IX. I do not think it was a perfect movie by any means, there were plot holes, weird moments, etc but it is a middle movie, they will hopefully be tied together.

I was not at all a fan of the Canto Bight nonsense but I think the fact there was that force sensitive boy there makes it very Star Warsy to happen. He can now get in contact with Rey.

Aside from that, I think most people’s problems are with the fact it wasn’t what they would have done. Others are trying to apply logic and science to a fairytale, that has never been Star Warsy, otherwise ships wouldn’t burn and head south when blowing up in space.

9. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Yes, but it's not as though the title was misleading or anything. The continuation of the Jedi is the subject at hand - Luke even calls it a religion, so the film is looking at moving away from dogmatic concepts and biological lineage, which was the focus of the first two trilogies.

It might as well be The Last Jedi (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the force).

10. I would be more inclined to say the title is just boring and refers to the fact that they had to convince the last Jedi to do some work.

11. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

It's a provocative enough title, and ostensibly Rey is the last jedi at the end of the film, despite there being other potentials.

12. Is she a Jedi? Or is she just trained in the force? I think it's the latter.

13. Morkel

Morkel

Why are we judging the success of this trilogy when it's only round 1 of the season? Sorry, I mean before the final chapter is known? It's set up now for a massive finish.

Harry Sack likes this.
  14. Because 2/3rds have been a disappointment.

CaptainHook likes this.
  15. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

"I will not be the last jedi"

16. Question remains.

17. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Indeed, it sets up the final chapter. But she apparently has the Jedi texts, had some brief training from a Jedi master, I think on the evidence this indicates she wants to/will become a Jedi. But they are definitely getting at non-Jedi use of the force, but not with Rey.