Was it really the Pies to blame?

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
So.

Is it time we started to reassess who or what was to blame for the total capitulation of the Broncos over the last three seasons?

Are people ready to accept or even entertain the thought that it really isn't Seibold who broke the Broncos?

So.

Is it time we started to reassess who or what was to blame for the total capitulation of the Broncos over the last three seasons?

Are people ready to accept or even entertain the thought that it really isn't Seibold who broke the Broncos?
Seibold was bad timing.

The club was going downhill, and it was the wrong time to bring a "rookie" coach in, who had never been through a club crisis.
So while Seibold is not directly responsible for the clubs downfall, he was the wrong person, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and that led us to where we are now.

Definitely not pies alone.

Morris
White
Lockyer
Seibold

Probably in that order too.
I'd put Pies in front of Lockyer. His narcisim and insistence of erasing everything Bennett and determination to reinvent the wheel helped to hurry up the downfall.

I'm also going to put the player manager in charge of Seibold that is good mates with our recruitment officer up as a filthy reason we are in the state we are also.

Yes.

He failed on every level. But others are to blame too. There were massive cracks in Seibolds ability to coach at Souths and some of us were able to see them and were proven to be correct in thinking he was the wrong choice. His style did not suit the players we had, releasing the senior players was the wrong choice, he couldn't give us a single set play that worked. He was just a poor coach and never had what it took.

In saying that, the board shouldn't outlast their third coach. The capitulation of the Brisbane Broncos falls at their feet entirely.

Can't argue any of these points, but I want to put it out there that if some of the players Siebold moved on had not been there from the start, and if our illustrious captain at the time didn't get sand in his c&^$ from being expected to lead, then maybe, maybe he would have been a good coach. I think his ideas, and trying to get player to consider where they are on the field before acting isn't a terrible idea. A centre who can only write "i am a fish" 400 times in a tactics session is not the player you want around your youth in any club.

It was the perfect shit storm. Seibold played his considerable part, but the blame is shared among several people as well as circumstance.

I'd put Pies in front of Lockyer. His narcisim and insistence of erasing everything Bennett and determination to reinvent the wheel helped to hurry up the downfall.

I'm also going to put the player manager in charge of Seibold that is good mates with our recruitment officer up as a filthy reason we are in the state we are also.
I get your reasoning but I'm always going to blame the board first when they recruited Seibold. They gave him the chance to destroy the club after turfing Bennett when we didn't need to, and he came in and finished the job.

We can only hope a few board members **** off soon and we right this ship although Seibold did burn the boats so we're going to need to build the ships first.

So.

Seibold assembled this roster, Kev didn’t do enough to change it.

The biggest problem we have is we’re effectively running a reserve grade roster in A grade.

Until that changes, shuffling the deck chairs, including coaches ain’t going to achieve squat.

Siebold was pretty clearly way out of his depth but the diabolical roster he inherited sure didn't help. There was not a single leader or dominant player in the team and our most expensive players were among the worst performers every week. Whoever put that roster together has a lot to answer for, and while most have already been listed I can't see how Bennett escapes the lash on roster management. I think the writing was on the wall for the Broncos in the 2018 season when it became apparent that after 4 years of Wayne the club was getting further away from a premiership and needed a major rebuild which didn't seem to be happening. The long term contracts given to Boyd and Milford were a death knell for the club. Siebold took over over a listing ship and hastened it's sinking but he was on a hiding to nothing from the outset due to previous collective failures within the Broncos organisation.

Really bad timing on inheriting the worst roster in Broncos history. (Darbs, Glenn, declining Milford). That wasn't on Siebold, that really is probably Paul White and Nolan.

The cricket scores that got put on us, no one realized that is just normal V'landys ball. Like Soccer but with goal posts 5 meters wider.

Still despite that, Siebold never got our team looking like a gelled unit. ...and for that he's total responsible for terrible tactics and man management which escalated the problem.

Darius Boyd was a big contributor. The captain saying "it's just a game". **** that.
In response to some of the online threats?

Context.

Did you see what fans sent to Sean Keppie the other week?

when are we gonna start putting it back on the players tho? regardless of coaching decision if you're getting payed 300k upwards and all you have to do is go give it your all for those 80 minutes and they only turn and looks interested once a month or so then you got problems. i think Siebold at most other clubs would have been fine but when the big score lines started coming in he panicked with team selections same thing is repeating itself with Kev. If Seibold had of put a 34 year old Hunt in at 5/8 he would have been eaten alive by media, oldboys, fans but because its loveable Kev that's ok. The real downfall started in 2018 when we just made the eight and were knocked out by dragons in the first week and then the wayne saga happened. Seibold didn't help us but im not sure bellamy or robinson can fix this when you're rotten from the top.

I'd say the rot was set in a lot longer than we thought, WB really did keep the joint together. It's always the same huh, you never know what someone does until they no longer do it... the emperor (the club) was indeed naked.

My answer is no.

I think he inherited a roster on a swift decline. The halves pairing of Knik and Milford was winning some regular season games but it was toothless against the top tier sides of the era.

Bennett found some magical equilibrium of talent in that 2015 side along with getting them to work as a defensive juggernaut and tried milking it for all it was worth right up till the end of the ‘18 season. He made no improvements to a spine that was declining quite rapidly and left Seibold to come up with the changes. Seibold gambled on youth, moved on some players that did need moving on but it just didn’t come off, instead it all blew up in his face.

Interesting to see we are now getting Reynolds because Bennett doesn’t think the Rabbitohs should sign someone who is still a tier 1 halfback in the competition. Same way he thought we didn’t need a halfback when we had Milford/Knik/McCullough playing for us.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Battler
  • Bongo
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • levikaden
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.