Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

I think we need a consensus here on who to blame/give credit to for signings.

When they go wrong, or lose a player the board/CEO are blamed.

When they go right, it seems like all credit is given to the coach
- Board/CEO would be providing two parts of **** all when it comes to player signings... unless it's a premier player and the club feel the CEO's involvement/presence is required to get a deal over the line (hence PW's involvement in Bellamy... PW also apparently involved with the Boyd re-signing, but I'd say that was more of a PR stunt given he was the captain and his contract was going to see out his career)

- R&R team and therefore Nolan are to blame for length and price... him and his team are the ones negotiating with the player managers

- Coach to a certain extent is to blame for players brought in or retained... R&R team aren't going to sign/re-sign a player that the coach doesn't want, therefore the coach is realistically the one who gives the go ahead to finalise a contract. Not so much price, but whether they want to give the go ahead to compete the deal... if the best Nolan could negotiate for Fifita was 5yr @ $1.1m then the coach has to yay or nay it as he's the one who has to live with the roster

- Louise just says yes you can afford it or no you can't afford that deal

- Lockyer I'd say has minimal involvement all things considered.... I'd say he is there as an independent football expert. He would provide advice on what a player brings to the team and probably vets whether the coach is talking out of his ass to get a favourite into the squad, but if they ignore his advice then what more can he do. The apparent call on Moses vs Bird being an example

Realistically Lockyer's role should be somewhat similar to what Mal and JT apparently do for the titans and cows... he should be used as an advocate for the broncos.

He's a living legend and future immortal that we need to promote the **** out of. He should be at training talking to Dearden and just be a general presence amongst the playing group.

Seems some people will find any stick to beat poor old clint with 🤔

Hopefully, you are aware then he signed a contract extension in 2018, when Bennett was coach.

Until the end of 2020, meanwhile Haas gets locked up long term.

Fifita was a player at the top of the list when it came to players they wanted to keep but he didn’t lock him up long term and if it was a matter of Bennett tried to but failed, then that says something.

It gave the Titans the opportunity to swoop in and the rest is history.

Until the end of 2020, meanwhile Haas gets locked up long term.

Fifita was a player at the top of the list when it came to players they wanted to keep but he didn’t lock him up long term and if it was a matter of Bennett tried to but failed, then that says something.

It gave the Titans the opportunity to swoop in and the rest is history.

Nothing to do with Bennett at all. He was locked up until 2020, hadnt played much first grade and the deal was spot on. Not Waynes fault after he left the Broncos fucked it all up. Amazing the anti Bennett agenda brigade are blaming him now for things that happened even after he left. Trying to even hint its Bennett's fault Fifita ended up at the Titans is absolutely laughable. He left because he got a stupidly large offer from the Titans and i for one am glad we didnt match that offer.

Pity we didnt give all of these players 2 year deals, our cap might not be so screwed. Haas is a bit of an exception, but he wanted to sign long term. Maybe Fifita didnt, maybe his agent didnt want him tied down so long, who knows. You dont even know if Bennett tried to lock him up long term, its pure supposition by you.

Doubtful ... because, remember he has nothing to do with contracts
Starting to think you don’t have an honest bone in your body lately mate. Nobody has said this at all. Of course he had something to do with contracts, he got many people to sign over the years. He had nothing to do with the contract value or length because that would be ridiculous. They have legit professionals at the club who manage a salary cap, why would anyone let an ex-cop/footy coach be in charge of 9 million + a year?

Denan Kemp’s latest podcast with Brett Finch is worth a listen. It’s not the “Broncos” way to lose players they want to keep.

Denan Kemp’s latest podcast with Brett Finch is worth a listen. It’s not the “Broncos” way to lose players they want to keep.

a) what's that got to do with Dane Gagai
b) it's not 20 years ago, money talks louder now (especially when it is significant overs)

Interestingly, Kent said on 360 the rumours are Gagai to the Broncos which means one of two things:

1. He's making up stuff as usual
2. More than likely, he's been reading our forum as it has been bought up on here.

Interestingly, Kent said on 360 the rumours are Gagai to the Broncos which means one of two things:

2. More than likely, he's been reading our forum as it has been bought up on here.

3. just guessing given we should have some money to spend and this weeks speculation given Staggs future location

Pity we didnt give all of these players 2 year deals, our cap might not be so screwed. Haas is a bit of an exception, but he wanted to sign long term. Maybe Fifita didnt, maybe his agent didnt want him tied down so long, who knows. You dont even know if Bennett tried to lock him up long term, its pure supposition by you.

Bennett wasn’t around when we could extend Fifta was he?

This what Bennett said when we extended Hass before others could swoop.

“"It gives Payne security and us security for six years to know that every year he won't have some other club trying to knock him off the perch.”

- Board/CEO would be providing two parts of **** all when it comes to player signings... unless it's a premier player and the club feel the CEO's involvement/presence is required to get a deal over the line (hence PW's involvement in Bellamy... PW also apparently involved with the Boyd re-signing, but I'd say that was more of a PR stunt given he was the captain and his contract was going to see out his career)

- R&R team and therefore Nolan are to blame for length and price... him and his team are the ones negotiating with the player managers

- Coach to a certain extent is to blame for players brought in or retained... R&R team aren't going to sign/re-sign a player that the coach doesn't want, therefore the coach is realistically the one who gives the go ahead to finalise a contract. Not so much price, but whether they want to give the go ahead to compete the deal... if the best Nolan could negotiate for Fifita was 5yr @ $1.1m then the coach has to yay or nay it as he's the one who has to live with the roster

- Louise just says yes you can afford it or no you can't afford that deal

- Lockyer I'd say has minimal involvement all things considered.... I'd say he is there as an independent football expert. He would provide advice on what a player brings to the team and probably vets whether the coach is talking out of his ass to get a favourite into the squad, but if they ignore his advice then what more can he do. The apparent call on Moses vs Bird being an example

Realistically Lockyer's role should be somewhat similar to what Mal and JT apparently do for the titans and cows... he should be used as an advocate for the broncos.

He's a living legend and future immortal that we need to promote the **** out of. He should be at training talking to Dearden and just be a general presence amongst the playing group.

I don't know every team's recruitment team but they would nearly all have reps from the same roles.

Storm's up until recently was Bellamy, Ponissi, Donaghy, and Bunn and a finance person.

You have a cross section of the club so everyone is represented. It's also so no one can say I didn't know when you're over the cap. If the CEO didn't sit in meetings and be part of the discussion you can look pretty stupid.

Everyone has a say gives their thoughts but at the Broncos the coach wins.

It's like a board you all bring in different skills and hopefully you have all the skills covered between the group.

Bellamy and Ponissi are old school- values and character and Bunn is all data and read outs.

Bennett wasn’t around when we could extend Fifta was he?

This what Bennett said when we extended Hass before others could swoop.

“"It gives Payne security and us security for six years to know that every year he won't have some other club trying to knock him off the perch.”

Not when he defected to the Titans

It’s been around for at least 18 months.

It’s funny you say that. This weekend was the first time I tried Kemp’s podcast, and I turned it off after 5mins because of Finch being completely shit-faced and unable to speak. I’ll try a different episode.

I’ve met Finchy. That’s just how he always is. He’s a twitchy guy.

Nah man, he was slurring hard. It was pathetic.
He's like that in everything. He's either always off his head, and harbouring some kind of addiction, or that's just what he's like. I find him difficult to watch as well.

He's like that in everything. He's either always off his head, and harbouring some kind of addiction, or that's just what he's like. I find him difficult to watch as well.

I’m not sure if he has ADHD or something but he’s one of those guys who is just 100 miles a minute and tweaky. Seems like a nice and fairly intelligent guy under it all but not the best at articulating it.

Though his issues with addiction are pretty well documented so it could easily be a combo of the two.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • LittleDavey
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fitzy
  • simplythebest
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • Stix
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.