MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This is another one of those "wing and a prayer" threads where, even if there is a 100 to 1 chance that someone from the club reads this forum, that they see it and ponder the position I posit. Call it arrogance if you like, it probably is, but I love this club and if my input can help them in anyway, I can sleep well at night.

Wayne's on field strategies are long in the tooth, much like the coach himself. There isn't any doubting that really. His stubborn refusal to change it up is a symptom of his own success. He sees 7 Premiership rings sitting in prime position in his house and he wonders what it is exactly that he has to change.

But this thread isn't here to talk about those issues to be honest. We can debate the way the team plays footy until the Cows are successful again, but he is never changing his style for anyone, so it's best to focus on his many, MANY positives elsewhere.

His man management is pure greatness. Historical in its quality in RL terms. He has Boyd following him around like a puppy dog. He lured TPJ away from Canberra without even having to pick up the phone himself and while it's early days, he's looking like an all time great. He brought Matt Lodge back from the brink of a terrible life to set him on the right path and return him to the top echelon of young Props currently running around in the NRL. Same with Roberts, who was flirting with a similar life of endless troubles until he came up the highway and was set straight by the coach. He has done what many thought impossible, and molded Anthony Milford into a game managing half while also retaining his fleet footed dangerous style of play.

Whether his doubters like it or not, he has rocketed this club back to a position of quality from the doldrums of mediocrity that Henjak and Griffin sunk us to. And he's done it in 3 and a half seasons, with a GF appearance thrown in for good measure. and while 2018 is likely to amount to nothing in terms of on field success, it cannot be denied that our squad is young, intense and full of more potential than any other team in the comp. We wondered when we bowed out in 2017 if our premiership window had slammed shut after 2015, but if anything it's only gotten longer. Much longer.

Where I am really a fan of Bennett though is what he does off field. He is impossible to flap, as hard as the media try every single week. He keeps himself and the team on the straight and narrow without failure. This season seemed doomed to failure early on when the media sprung the shitstorm surrounding Lodge on us somewhat insidiously a few days before Round 1, and yet here we are 21 rounds later fighting tooth and nail for a top 4 spot. If Griffin were still in charge, he would have folded to the pressure, dropped Lodge like an ugly bundle and we'd be lamenting another bog average season and yet another quality player pissed into the wind. And he will always get bonus points from me for having the default position of telling the media to go to hell.

It's time to face facts; there is no one available to replace Wayne Bennett and we shouldn't pretend that there is. We made a grave mistake in 2008 letting him go, and I would much rather not repeat that mistake if it can be helped. Bennett will inevitably retire of his own accord sooner rather than later, but we should keep his positive influence going for as long as we possibly can before that dark day comes.

Last edited:
I think we should have a poll on this board about whether Wayne should be extended or not.

Imo, I could understand wanting to sign Bellamy. The timing was messy and it wasn’t a good look for the club, I’d also say it was potentially poorly handled by the club but I got why they might try and do it. Now that Bellamy is not an option the concept of closing the door to Wayne at the end of this contract, especially with how much the young players support him seems like lunacy. The only way I can justify it in my head is if there is something very wrong behind the scenes that we have not been privvy too.

Last edited:
Imo, I could understand wanting to sign Bellamy. The timing was messy and it wasn’t a good look for the club, I’d also say it was potentially poorly handled by the club but I got why they might try and do it. Now that Bellamy is not an option the concept of closing the door to Wayne at the end of this contract, especially with how much the young players support him seems like lunacy. The only way I can justify it in my head is if there is something very wrong behind the scenes that we have not been privvy too.
exactly what i think

I'd definitely still sign Bellamy if given the chance, but no one else really stands out over Wayne.

If Wayne can forget about his ego and get with the program and change his tactics to suit the way the game is played today then sure he should be re-signed.

If he can't, then no.

He should remain at the club in some capacity.

On that controversy show the drunk intimated that the Broncos reluctance was to do with WB and his marriage breakup and other issues. The other panellists wanted no part of discussion about personal stuff, to their credit I think.

I can’t see how anything to do with Bennett’s private life would concern the Broncos, unless there are ongoing dramas that are intruding in his work. Sounds unlikely to me.

It seems some are insinuating that the Broncos are concerned with Bennett having too much power. The fact that the club entertained signing Moses before Bennett shut it down does lean towards a friction of this kind. But IMO those are the calls that Bennett should have final say in. It’s his team.

It seems some are insinuating that the Broncos are concerned with Bennett having too much power. The fact that the club entertained signing Moses before Bennett shut it down does lean towards a friction of this kind. But IMO those are the calls that Bennett should have final say in. It’s his team.

absolutely ...

a coaches future is tied to team results ... he should be given the team he wants

This is going to be a landslide of a poll.

Just for fun, was there a similar poll done in 2014 when we signed him back?
My memory is awful, couldn't tell you.

I would have voted yes to him coming back though, never wanted him to leave, was very happy when he came back.

EDIT: Whoops

Last edited:
I can’t see how anything to do with Bennett’s private life would concern the Broncos, unless there are ongoing dramas that are intruding in his work. Sounds unlikely to me.

I found it odd he mentioned it considering 99% of normal humans would think it was inappropriate but he must believe there is an issue and was prepared to cop any backlash.

Keep resigning him till he no longer has the desire to be head coach, no brainer!

Active Now

• RodF
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • leon.bott
  • Dash
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.