Wayne Bennett wants more out of Kodi Nikorima

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
KODI Nikorima is under pressure to lift for the finals with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett admitting his key playmaker was “off the pace” in Friday night’s defeat of the Dragons.

Nikorima continued his remarkable winning streak at Brisbane’s nerve centre, with the Kiwi Test utility now unbeaten in 10 games at a starting halfback following Brisbane’s 24-12 disposal of the Red V.

But the jury remains out on whether Nikorima has the all-round game to fire in the pressure-cooker arena of playoffs football and break Brisbane’s 11-year premiership drought.

Nikorima was overshadowed by his halves partner Anthony Milford on Friday night. While Milford carved up the Dragons, producing a try, seven tackle-busts, two try assists and two line breaks, Nikorima was quiet, failing to break the line and running the ball just three times for 34 metres.

Bennett refused to be too critical of Nikorima on a night where Brisbane cemented second spot. But he concedes there is room for improvement as the pint-sized dynamo prepares for a halfback showdown with Eels sensation Mitchell Moses on Thursday night at Suncorp Stadium.

“Kodi was a bit off the pace,” Bennett said when asked if he was happy with his playmaking trinity of Nikorima, Milford and Ben Hunt.

“But that’s OK, he’s had a lot of good games this year.

“I have no real criticism of Kodi. He just wasn’t as good tonight as he has been, that’s all.

“It’s going to happen. It happens to them all.”

While he is showing flashes of brilliance, Nikorima needs to work on his control and game management. He was hooked after 34 minutes against Canberra in round 16 and it was left to Benji Marshall and Hunt to bring some authority and shape to Brisbane’s attack.

Nikorima played off the bench in Brisbane’s 2015 grand final team but this will be his maiden finals campaign as a starting halfback.

Premiership favourites Melbourne will have Queensland Origin ace Cooper Cronk calling the shots in September, underlining the daunting challenge ahead for Nikorima.

Milford enjoys playing with Nikorima, whom he has known since their teens in junior-rep sides, and Broncos skipper Darius Boyd backed Nikorima to deliver in the playoffs.

“There’s more in everyone,” he said. “With our halves ... sometimes ‘Milf’ shines and Kodi is a bit quieter, but then Kodi shines and Milf might have a quiet game.

“You can’t dominate every week and sometimes the game doesn’t flow that way for you.

“The important thing is Kodi didn’t make any errors, he got the team around the park and we got the win.”

Brisbane have now won three straight games since the season-ending injury to Andrew McCullough, who snapped his ACL against the Parramatta team the Broncos face again this week.

“Parra beat us a few weeks ago, but we have upped the ante since then, particularly in defence,” Boyd said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/995284043c80d7991c63946ea56f9ac2

**** me dead...this is an example of a few lines from Bennett beaten into a massive story. Anyone reading the headline would think there was something serious going on...Old mate had a quiet night when others starred....so fucking what. Deadset, media types should never wonder why we think they're shitbut I suppose we readers must share the blame for that as bad news attracts more interest than the feel good stuff.

Well what do you know , knik was quiet !
Hahahahaha we get it pagey, you don't think knik is our long term halves.... but you are reallllly grasping at straws when you are using an article about Wayne Bennett wanting his halfback to play to his best during finals time to justify your agenda...

Everyone knows that you are attempting to paint a picture of a hopeless halfback to justify signing a certain million dollar halfback who gets away with poor performances because of the team around him or the fact he's developing. Why can't nikorima have the same leniency? Btw, Kniks quiet game is a lot better then ash Taylor's worse this season (he missed about 10 tackle one game I believe?)

**** me dead...this is an example of a few lines from Bennett beaten into a massive story. Anyone reading the headline would think there was something serious going on...Old mate had a quiet night when others starred....so fucking what. Deadset, media types should never wonder why we think they're shitbut I suppose we readers must share the blame for that as bad news attracts more interest than the feel good stuff.

Couldn't have said it better mate! Absolute nothing story, creating a headline from a single quote, completely out of context. The media are a deadset joke at times.

Hahahahaha we get it pagey, you don't think knik is our long term halves.... but you are reallllly grasping at straws when you are using an article about Wayne Bennett wanting his halfback to play to his best during finals time to justify your agenda...

Everyone knows that you are attempting to paint a picture of a hopeless halfback to justify signing a certain million dollar halfback who gets away with poor performances because of the team around him or the fact he's developing. Why can't nikorima have the same leniency? Btw, Kniks quiet game is a lot better then ash Taylor's worse this season (he missed about 10 tackle one game I believe?)

I think you have it all wrong mate. I said he was quiet the other night , not bad but quiet!
I admit i am concerned about his style getting us to the next level , but am fine with giving him a shot. I also admit im a fan of ash Taylor and think his style could add a different dimension. But i also see a spot for kodi on the bench as a impact player. To say i have a agenda is a load of shit , just because im a apparent "ash lover " and said knik was quiet.

I too am a Taylor fan but if Knik keeps improving, well I'm happy with that

"I have no real criticism of kodi" (Bennett, 2017). Yet you jump on it and highlight it to everyone like you've discovered gold. If it isn't agenda driven (eg building up a portfolio to justify getitng into a million dollar bidding war for a player who hasn't proven himself in a big match yet) then knik must have run over your cat

"I have no real criticism of kodi" (Bennett, 2017). Yet you jump on it and highlight it to everyone like you've discovered gold. If it isn't agenda driven (eg building up a portfolio to justify getitng into a million dollar bidding war for a player who hasn't proven himself in a big match yet) then knik must have run over your cat

Whatever princess! Told you my thoughts, if you can't take that in bad luck. Got better things to do then go around in circles with you , maybe you should buy a cat if you got nothing better to do .

Whatever princess! Told you my thoughts, if you can't take that in bad luck. Got better things to do then go around in circles with you , maybe you should buy a cat if you got nothing better to do .
Hahaha you brought the subject back up because you got precious about the "quiet" comment and you're getting all defensive again yet I'm the princess haha

3 runs for 35 metres is pretty good in terms of metres. Sims should pull his finger out then he had what 5 runs for 35 metres.

3 runs for 35 metres is pretty good in terms of metres. Sims should pull his finger out then he had what 5 runs for 35 metres.
I don't blame Sims for the stats, it was just one of those games and he's pleasing WB, that's got to count for something

Peter Badel trying to reinforce this Knik BS on Fox at the moment. Looks like this will be the media story for the week coming into the Parra fairytale game

Be interesting to see how Bennett shuts it down

Peter Badel trying to reinforce this Knik BS on Fox at the moment. Looks like this will be the media story for the week coming into the Parra fairytale game

Be interesting to see how Bennett shuts it down

Quick note under the hotel door should fix it . LOL .
Obi Wayne is in control .

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.