NEWS Wayne Bennett's refusal to leave Brisbane costs Broncos staffers lucrativecontract payouts.

His life history completely negates this point of view

Bennett, when looking at 50 years, not 6 months, by all reports is a good (not perfect) man

There are times when he has made selfish decisions (like walking out on his marriage) and perhaps spiteful decisions (suing the Broncos for the $400k), but these appear to be the exception, not the rule

Who amongst us hasn't made a selfish or angry decision from time to time? We all do, and we don't deserve to have our character defined by the 1 bad decision out of 10 we make.

Bennett is no different

And finally, let's cut out this silly notion that because Bennett is suing the Broncos it proves he is all about the money

Again this is short sighted

When someone with no money sues, it is likely to be about money but when someone with loads of cash sues, it likely isn't

Sure it might be, I don't know for sure, but it certainly doesn't prove the point either way

As an alternative, why can't he be suing out of anger or spite?

Wayne wanted to stay coaching the Broncos, they punted him, and he feels angry about it

This is his final FU to the Board

Of course if it IS about anger/spite that doesn't make it right......just showing that suing doesn't prove that he is all about the money

It didn't take him long to go back on his word and take legal action. If he hadn't breached his contract he may still been sacked or may still be there who knows. One thing is though many people in life and sport have ruined long standing reputations with acts and behavior over a short period.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be the end of it. I have no doubt bennett will do everything he can to keep this going in the media and disrupt the Broncos season as much as he can. How bad would he look when Seibold takes the Broncos minus Sims, McGuire and Thaiday further than he did.

His life history completely negates this point of view

Bennett, when looking at 50 years, not 6 months, by all reports is a good (not perfect) man

There are times when he has made selfish decisions (like walking out on his marriage) and perhaps spiteful decisions (suing the Broncos for the $400k), but these appear to be the exception, not the rule

Who amongst us hasn't made a selfish or angry decision from time to time? We all do, and we don't deserve to have our character defined by the 1 bad decision out of 10 we make.

Bennett is no different

And finally, let's cut out this silly notion that because Bennett is suing the Broncos it proves he is all about the money

Again this is short sighted

When someone with no money sues, it is likely to be about money but when someone with loads of cash sues, it likely isn't

Sure it might be, I don't know for sure, but it certainly doesn't prove the point either way

As an alternative, why can't he be suing out of anger or spite?

Wayne wanted to stay coaching the Broncos, they punted him, and he feels angry about it

This is his final FU to the Board

Of course if it IS about anger/spite that doesn't make it right......just showing that suing doesn't prove that he is all about the money
I tend to mostly agree with you but the reasons you have given for sueing are not the only ones. Why not 'it's a business decision' ? It's nothing personal, just business. WB is a brand as well as a human being. Also, walking out on his marriage, selfish? Sorry, cannot agree on that one. My closest friend is in the midst of a divorce and I know his very sanity, his mental health was on the line and that's why he walked. True, it's about self and at a stretch could be said to be selfish but that wouldn't reflect reality.

It didn't take him long to go back on his word and take legal action. If he hadn't breached his contract he may still been sacked or may still be there who knows. One thing is though many people in life and sport have ruined long standing reputations with acts and behavior over a short period.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be the end of it. I have no doubt bennett will do everything he can to keep this going in the media and disrupt the Broncos season as much as he can. How bad would he look when Seibold takes the Broncos minus Sims, McGuire and Thaiday further than he did.
Like a scientist , perhaps he received new information and that forced him to act. Your second paragraph is pure shit from start to finish.

If the broncos want this to end, then reach an agreement and quickly. Put this behind the club because the more this drags on, the worse it will get, for all concerned. And it will cost a lot more than 400,000 in the end.
This is two of the most respected entities WB and the broncos taking years of history and throwing it down the toilet. If anyone thinks that is a good thing, then remember what superleague did. It wasn't pretty.

If the broncos want this to end, then reach an agreement and quickly. Put this behind the club because the more this drags on, the worse it will get, for all concerned. And it will cost a lot more than 400,000 in the end.
This is two of the most respected entities WB and the broncos taking years of history and throwing it down the toilet. If anyone thinks that is a good thing, then remember what superleague did. It wasn't pretty.
Agreed and I think if it did drag out a bit it would be much more detrimental to the Bronco's than to WB. Even though I don't know if the Bronco's acted honourably or not my gut feeling, intuition if you will tells me they were not squeaky clean and above reproach. It seems to me, again without evidence that the board didn't so much as reach a decision rather they followed an instruction from on high. That's what I feel happened and no, I don't need evidence as it's not a claim of fact.

I tend to mostly agree with you but the reasons you have given for sueing are not the only ones. Why not 'it's a business decision' ? It's nothing personal, just business. WB is a brand as well as a human being. Also, walking out on his marriage, selfish? Sorry, cannot agree on that one. My closest friend is in the midst of a divorce and I know his very sanity, his mental health was on the line and that's why he walked. True, it's about self and at a stretch could be said to be selfish but that wouldn't reflect reality.

Yeah you are spot on @Huge

There are more reasons to sue than what I listed and that just emphasises the point

And the divorce being selfish thing, it was just an example, and definitely not every divorce falls in that category

Wayne's was a classic "running off with a younger woman" so I tend to interpret this one as a selfish decision but I don't know the facts and could be wrong

Yeah you are spot on @Huge

There are more reasons to sue than what I listed and that just emphasises the point

And the divorce being selfish thing, it was just an example, and definitely not every divorce falls in that category

Wayne's was a classic "running off with a younger woman" so I tend to interpret this one as a selfish decision but I don't know the facts and could be wrong
Could also be a classic “earn millions for the family and don’t receive any appreciation for it but leave and still give millions to the family anyway” situation too. I don’t get this. We only hear one side of the story in these situations. Whichever side sells papers. Which happened to be the wife. Getting a divorce isn’t a bad thing and if someone isn’t happy in a marriage they shouldn’t stay in the marriage

That's what Benny wants

All this “get it sorted” “we need this to stop” etc is somewhat irrelevant to where we are at.

This whole scenario won’t have any effect on the players or coaching team whatsoever, if anything it’s detrimental to Souths. Benny boy now has to focus on coaching whilst preparing for a legal battle with our “FOH Administration” department.

FWIW I believe with some of the earlier post, it’ll come down to whether he breach his contract or not. If he did he gets squat, if he didn’t than pay the man

All this “get it sorted” “we need this to stop” etc is somewhat irrelevant to where we are at.

This whole scenario won’t have any effect on the players or coaching team whatsoever, if anything it’s detrimental to Souths. Benny boy now has to focus on coaching whilst preparing for a legal battle with our “FOH Administration” department.

FWIW I believe with some of the earlier post, it’ll come down to whether he breach his contract or not. If he did he gets squat, if he didn’t than pay the man
I would imagine if Bennett is prepared to take it to court, he won't be spending too much time on it - that's what you pay lawyers for.

I would imagine if Bennett is prepared to take it to court, he won't be spending too much time on it - that's what you pay lawyers for.

I understand that part, I’d imagine coaching an nrl team would be hard enough let alone at a whole new club.

You’d think 100% of his attention would be required to get the team playing Bennett’s way. A court case lurking in the back ground would be the last thing the Rabbitohs hierarchy would want. No chance Bennett is focusing all of his attention on the team

I understand that part, I’d imagine coaching an nrl team would be hard enough let alone at a whole new club.

You’d think 100% of his attention would be required to get the team playing Bennett’s way. A court case lurking in the back ground would be the last thing the Rabbitohs hierarchy would want. No chance Bennett is focusing all of his attention on the team
Clearly the Rabbits hierarchy will hope the Broncs weren’t playing Bennetts way when we were flogged so easily at home against St George. But then again they may have known fullwell his mind was elsewhere at the time.

Clearly the Rabbits hierarchy will hope the Broncs weren’t playing Bennetts way when we were flogged so easily at home against St George. But then again they may have known fullwell his mind was elsewhere at the time.

We’ve probably got a better shot at winning lottery than Wayne has of changing now

The fallout from Wayne Bennett’s sacking at the Broncos continues, with his former conditioner Jeremy Hickmans hitting out over his departure from the club.
Hickmans took to social media on Tuesday to reflect on the toxic in-fighting at Brisbane last year that led to the demise of Bennett and his staffers, including Hickmans and assistant coach Jason Demetriou.
6c4e3ad8a08f785f807f2ea27b0cb4fa

Jeremy Hickmans has hit out at the Broncos for their lack of loyalty.
While Demetriou has followed Bennett to South Sydney, Hickmans remains unemployed. The highly-respected strength and conditioning coach is doing some consultancy work but has yet to secure a full-time position.
Hickmans was punted by the Broncos just months after being handed a new two-year contract and has learnt some harsh lessons from the saga.
“Don’t sign anything on trust and under the promise of loyalty,” Hickmans wrote, before adding, “Get it all in writing.
“Sport is a business; loyalty and team is fine when it suits.
“Sometimes it’s best to move on and keep having fun!”
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ff94e339dd3c79847c4a1d90e02ffa40

I saw this on twitter last night - Dale Copley retweeted it. It just goes to show you though, any journo can make half a story from a simple tweet.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • lynx000
  • Lozza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Allo
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.