PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Yeah, I don't recall there being a bidding war over Levi. Levi was seen as a stop-gap and there wasn't any talk of re-signing him until later in the season when he had a couple of good performances. By that point it was too late so he accepted a 2 year deal with Huddersfield.

I don't think the Broncos were wrong for moving him on. His first stint of games was pretty unremarkable and it was only when the season was over that he stepped up.

It just goes back to the issue fans have that the club doesn't value a quality #9. It shouldn't be a matter of finding an affordable option, rather a quality player. The issue is that they don't grow on trees, have a look at the 2021 options.

Can you show me evidence of this? You keep saying it. I remember Levi’s comments about not wanting to leave.

Not that he was an amazing hooker either. Still offered more than Billy/Turpin
Moving his entire family to England, knowledge of Super League contracts, the length of the contract being worthwhile for him to move there, then move back to Australia, how good he is compared to other SL hookers, where our salary cap was when we signed him on a 2/3 of the season contract, Levi being a marquee signing for the Giants, holidays to Spain and France, a nice new ute. Just simple logic really.

Who said the coach had no say? That's ridiculous. For Walters to be able to do what is alleged (ie, deliberately stifle Brisbane's recruitment of a suitable hooker so that Billy can have a contract), Walters would either need final say, or he would need to be clever enough to pull the wool over Ikin and everyone else's eyes. Or both. Who genuinely thinks that that is a possibility? It's just ridiculous.
This is the part that I just don't understand. I cannot see DD or Ikin risking their jobs, just to sign Billy. Also, considering the rumours around the state of our cap, could we have made a play at a full time hooker any earlier than now?

Moving his entire family to England, knowledge of Super League contracts, the length of the contract being worthwhile for him to move there, then move back to Australia, how good he is compared to other SL hookers, where our salary cap was when we signed him on a 2/3 of the season contract, Levi being a marquee signing for the Giants, holidays to Spain and France, a nice new ute. Just simple logic really.
Ah ok, so you made it up. Speculation is fine if it’s benefits your argument I guess.

Ah ok, so you made it up. Speculation is fine if it’s benefits your argument I guess.
At least it's based on logic. He's not going overseas on anything less than Huddersfields 150k a year marquee contract, based on who is in their team currently and how good he is in comparison to SL players.

At least it's based on logic. He's not going overseas on anything less than Huddersfields 150k a year marquee contract, based on who is in their team currently and how good he is in comparison to SL players.
I mean I recall Levi saying he was disappointed he didn’t get offered an extension here so I’m not about to disregard what Levi said based on something you’ve made up.

It has honestly shocked me how far people on here are going to avoid just saying Walters is a poor dummy half option and the club has done poorly to find ourselves in this position. That’s all I’m saying and I’ve had pages of pushback. It’s one thing when it’s Foordy and Pagey but usually reasonable posters have started jumping onboard too. It’s silliness

I mean I recall Levi saying he was disappointed he didn’t get offered an extension here so I’m not about to disregard what Levi said based on something you’ve made up.

It has honestly shocked me how far people on here are going to avoid just saying Walters is a poor dummy half option and the club has done poorly to find ourselves in this position. That’s all I’m saying and I’ve had pages of pushback.
You're right, Danny Levi moved his family to England and signed a multi-year contract for far less than other players well below his quality are receiving at the age of 26. Bloke just gave up I guess.

Nobody is saying Walters is any good though. Just that there weren't really any other options and then arguing with McHunt about his shit reasoning about why he's there. Also, Walters is a better hooker than Turpin, therefore this entire argument is fucked because Turpin was the player keeping Paix out.

You're right, Danny Levi moved his family to England and signed a multi-year contract for far less than other players well below his quality are receiving at the age of 26. Bloke just gave up I guess.

Nobody is saying Walters is any good though. Just that there weren't really any other options and then arguing with McHunt about his shit reasoning about why he's there. Also, Walters is a better hooker than Turpin, therefore this entire argument is fucked because Turpin was the player keeping Paix out.
He had no NRL teams after him. It was his only option and his preference was to stay.

I don’t think there is a big difference between Turpin and Walters. Turpin defends much better than Walters, Walters attacks slightly better. Flip a coin.

The view that there wasn’t any other options has been proven false

He had no NRL teams after him. It was his only option and his preference was to stay.

I don’t think there is a big difference between Turpin and Walters. Turpin defends much better than Walters, Walters attacks slightly better. Flip a coin.
Ah I see, you're allowed to make stuff up based on nothing but my estimated guess based on knowledge of Super League contracts isn't allowed. I already said you're right mate, take the W.\

I completely disagree that they're even close. Turpin can't pass off the ground and therefore is not good enough to play hooker at any level, whereas Walters can play a few positions ok. Walters should never have been in the running for the 9 jersey but got there because the other player ended up being far worse and the other was unfit and injured. The other options were not actual options whilst the club were attempting to fix their salary cap. Walters was a stop gap that fell into the top 17.

Ah I see, you're allowed to make stuff up based on nothing but my estimated guess based on knowledge of Super League contracts isn't allowed. I already said you're right mate, take the W.\

I completely disagree that they're even close. Turpin can't pass off the ground and therefore is not good enough to play hooker at any level, whereas Walters can play a few positions ok. Walters should never have been in the running for the 9 jersey but got there because the other player ended up being far worse and the other was unfit and injured. The other options were not actual options whilst the club were attempting to fix their salary cap. Walters was a stop gap that fell into the top 17.
Wait, what did I make up?

Wait, what did I make up?
Your first sentence. Big Pete saying he doesn’t remember doesn’t mean nobody offered him anything at all, you’re just guessing based on what The Mole, McHunt and Pete Badel wrote about at the time.

Your first sentence. Big Pete saying he doesn’t remember doesn’t mean nobody offered him anything at all, you’re just guessing based on what The Mole, McHunt and Pete Badel wrote about at the time.
Pretty sure he or his manager said it tbh.

arguing with McHunt about his shit reasoning about why he's there.
Billy Walters is not currently under contract. He's not "there."

My "shit reasoning" all through this discussion is about next season. All the "shit reasoning" relates to what happens next. If my "shit reasoning" for not signing him again is too hard for you to understand maybe it's because you don't understand anything that's been discussed and you're fixated on your own "agenda," which is being argumentative.

If you think we're talking about last season, your comprehension skills are sorely lacking.

Billy Walters is not currently under contract. He's not "there."

My "shit reasoning" all through this discussion is about next season. All the "shit reasoning" relates to what happens next. If my "shit reasoning" for not signing him again is too hard for you to understand maybe it's because you don't understand anything that's been discussed.
Your shit reasoning is “nepotism” and your argument is stupid. Who do we sign to cover the position for next year? If you can give one actual, realistic answer about who the better option would be, I’ll happily agree with you and we can move on. Unfortunately you have attacked the character of Kevin Walters and are trying to move the posts by claiming you’re only talking about next year, which you most definitely haven’t been.

my two cents on Danny Levi is that people have short memories.

for almost his entire stint he people were screaming that he was in the team, it wasn't until he had a good game (maybe two) at the very end of his stint here, that people wanted us to re-sign him ... but by that time was too late

Walters should never have been in the running for the 9 jersey but got there because the other player ended up being far worse and the other was unfit and injured. The other options were not actual options whilst the club were attempting to fix their salary cap. Walters was a stop gap that fell into the top 17.
Do you want to re-sign him knowing his father will almost certainly run him out every week, be it at 9, 14 or some other position? Ignore the fantasy he's injury backup in case 10 other players are out. Do you want another rerun of the last season or are you ready to move forward?

Do you want to re-sign him knowing his father will almost certainly run him out every week, be it at 9, 14 or some other position? Ignore the fantasy he's injury backup in case 10 other players are out. Do you want another rerun of the last season or are you ready to move forward?

YES

my two cents on Danny Levi is that people have short memories.

for almost his entire stint he people were screaming that he was in the team, it wasn't until he had a good game (maybe two) at the very end of his stint here, that people wanted us to re-sign him ... but by that time was too late
He’s definitely in the top tier of Super League hookers this year. His running suits their competition. Unfortunately it doesn’t translate in the NRL unless you’re an ex-beach sprinter. Same goes for Parcell. They wouldn’t be any good over here and I’ve laughed for years about people claiming they’re good options.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.