PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
👆this!
Can we change the thread title to "We NEEDED to talk about BW" & close this fucking thread😁
I personally have had more than enough talking/reading about him.
😴😴😴
Don’t open the thread dedicated to talking about him then? 🤦‍♂️

Do you go to church every Sunday and say “enough with all the God stuff”?

I agree with you on that. The club needs to fix this, we can't just have battlers in this position. The modern game demands more from Hookers and we just haven't done anything here. We have to see what next year brings, hopefully somebody steps up next year be it Paix, Walters or Smoothy.

It's amazing how poor our spine management has been. For whatever reason the club went all in on positions that you can just go out an fill, forwards, centres and wingers. What the hell is with that.
It is funny that we have neglected an attacking 9, given that we were one of the first clubs to see how effective an attacking/running 9 could be in the modern game (in berrigan).

It is funny that we have neglected an attacking 9, given that we were one of the first clubs to see how effective an attacking/running 9 could be in the modern game (in berrigan).

You kind of want to be careful here in terms of "we should be looking for another Berrigan"...

Berrigan was a half/utility that played a lot of 9 out of versatility, based his game on effort, guts and tenacity, and only really played as the starting 9 in a couple of seasons because there were not many other options due to deficiencies in the roster or injury (eg, Ennis). In fact, Berrigan's hooking partner, Casey Maguire, could have comparisons drawn with Paix in that he was also a half that was versatile enough to play as a 14, had a big more skill than the starting 9, but not the same of tenacity. Maguire & Paix had a very different skill set of course, Paix being more of a livewire (like a Nikorima) and Maguire being more a all-rounder depth half, but still.

Just saying that a Walters/Paix combo actually has a lot of comparisons to our mid-00's lineup, the difference is in the balance of the rest of the squad... and... other NRL related limitations...

Berrigan at hooker

02-9 games
06- 9 games
07- 15 games

Berrigan Bench

99- 10 games
00- 11 games
01- 2 games
02- 1 game
11- 3 games

79 games at centre
22 games at 6
44 games at 7

Berrigan at hooker

02-9 games
06- 9 games
07- 15 games

Berrigan Bench

99- 10 games
00- 11 games
01- 2 games
02- 1 game
11- 3 games

79 games at centre
22 games at 6
44 games at 7

Edit: So you agree?

Lol.... is the Billy argument about to happen all over again???

Below is a link to 4 pages ago in case anyone just wants to copy pasta their arguments all over ago 👍👍

Lolz.....it pretty much reached a final conclusion, with those attacking KW&BW saying they really aren't....and really the concern is all about the lack of vision with recruiting spine players....which 100% of the forum agreed to ...most likely on page 1.

Then start up again on BW and how many games he lost us......:rofl

You kind of want to be careful here in terms of "we should be looking for another Berrigan"...

Berrigan was a half/utility that played a lot of 9 out of versatility, based his game on effort, guts and tenacity, and only really played as the starting 9 in a couple of seasons because there were not many other options due to deficiencies in the roster or injury (eg, Ennis). In fact, Berrigan's hooking partner, Casey Maguire, could have comparisons drawn with Paix in that he was also a half that was versatile enough to play as a 14, had a big more skill than the starting 9, but not the same of tenacity. Maguire & Paix had a very different skill set of course, Paix being more of a livewire (like a Nikorima) and Maguire being more a all-rounder depth half, but still.

Just saying that a Walters/Paix combo actually has a lot of comparisons to our mid-00's lineup, the difference is in the balance of the rest of the squad... and... other NRL related limitations...
I'm not saying we should look for another Berrigan. It was more an observation that despite having success with an attacking/running hooker in the team, we have not really looked at another attacking hooker since.

Lolz.....it pretty much reached a final conclusion, with those attacking KW&BW saying they really aren't....and really the concern is all about the lack of vision with recruiting spine players....which 100% of the forum agreed to ...most likely on page 1.

Then start up again on BW and how many games he lost us......:rofl
I think my argument has been pretty consistent. I even reiterated them in dot points like 2 pages ago.

My issue was always on Kev and the club, Billy has done as good as anyone could expect from him. The issue is that he’s in that position to start with.
I don’t think I’m the problem here

I'm not saying we should look for another Berrigan. It was more an observation that despite having success with an attacking/running hooker in the team, we have not really looked at another attacking hooker since.
Around that time CS9 emerged as a gun and a game managing hooker became the dream archetype for hookers moving forward.

Enter Andrew McCullough to the NYC in 2008

Edit: So you agree?

I was just showing how little hooker he played. I think people romanticise that last part of 06 but it was a very short period and that's all he had in him at hooker.

He really played very little hooker and the whole team had to be re-jigged just for him to do it. Staggs did his defence.

I'd hate to be the one teaching players now that in a defensive set you have to get back to the middle. It'd be a long road.

When I stamp your foot you move.....

I was just showing how little hooker he played. I think people romanticise that last part of 06 but it was a very short period and that's all he had in him at hooker.

He really played very little hooker and the whole team had to be re-jigged just for him to do it. Staggs did his defence.

I'd hate to be the one teaching players now that in a defensive set you have to get back to the middle. It'd be a long road.

When I stamp your foot you move.....

So.... not only are there similarities to how Berrigan was grafted in to the hooker role, but it's obvious that using Billy in this regard (either 9 or 14) would come at far less team interruption that it did getting Berrigan there. Especially considering the rare centre/hooker attack/defence strategy used with Berrigan & Staggs at the end of '06.

So.... not only are there similarities to how Berrigan was grafted in to the hooker role, but it's obvious that using Billy in this regard (either 9 or 14) would come at far less team interruption that it did getting Berrigan there. Especially considering the rare centre/hooker attack/defence strategy used with Berrigan & Staggs at the end of '06.
I’m lost to what your point is

I’m lost to what your point is

@NSW stables said it's interesting we haven't gone with an attacking/running 9 since we had success with Berrigan, I was pointing out that what we are doing with Walters actually is extremely similar. I'm not saying it is working or is working better, in fact of course it's not, just that it kind of is already what is happening and therefore is likely not our answer with the makeup of our team.

@NSW stables said it's interesting we haven't gone with an attacking/running 9 since we had success with Berrigan, I was pointing out that what we are doing with Walters actually is extremely similar. I'm not saying it is working or is working better, in fact of course it's not, just that it kind of is already what is happening and therefore is likely not our answer with the makeup of our team.
Not sure anyone would call Walters, a slow reserve grade 5/8, an attacking 9. Maybe Nikorima is a better example, or Hunt under Griffin

I agree with Morkel, Walters is a run first style of dummy half. That's actually why he was so effective in the role, teams had to adjust to a threat out of dummy half whereas Turpin was largely going through the same motions.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ostin86
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bronx48
  • theshed
  • Bish
  • Xzei
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.