PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Billy had only played 12 games over 3 years when he got an unchallenged crack as the starting hooker of the broncos - only 2 as starting hooker and 5 off the bench.

Again, I’m not bringing this up to shit on Billy. I’m only saying this because what you are saying about Smoothey is actually correct but it should have also have also been the reasoning applied to Billy’s selection.

I may be wrong and I’ll apologise to Kev and everyone here if I am but I really don’t see a world in which Tyson plays well in cup and replaces Billy. The best we can hope for in regards to seeing Tyson in first grade is that he may push out Paix and this will be regardless of who is providing more out of the 2.

As @pagey said above, if Tyson and/or Paix, hopefully both, are playing the house down and Billy is struggling but retains his spot regardless, we’ll all join in the Kevvie pile on. We just want to believe that Kevvie and/or Billy will come up to task, though I don’t think anyone is holding their breath it will happen.

As @pagey said above, if Tyson and/or Paix, hopefully both, are playing the house down and Billy is struggling but retains his spot regardless, we’ll all join in the Kevvie pile on. We just want to believe that Kevvie and/or Billy will come up to task, though I don’t think anyone is holding their breath it will happen.
It’s just disheartening to note that Kev made no mention of Smoothy potentially being promoted to the top 30 but did so for Sailor, and that he’s apparently confirmed that Smoothy won’t get a run in the next trial.

Of course this may all be hokum and we may see Tyson get more chances before the season starts.

It’s just disheartening to note that Kev made no mention of Smoothy potentially being promoted to the top 30 but did so for Sailor, and that he’s apparently confirmed that Smoothy won’t get a run in the next trial.

Of course this may all be hokum and we may see Tyson get more chances before the season starts.

Well Kevvie isn't a wordsmith, so let's hope that is all it is.

Yes, we have exactly zero backup hookers, unless you consider Mozer good to go. I've noticed a few journalists mention Madden as a utility/hooker but I don't know to what extent that's actually a thing. And after watching Smoothy it made me long for a genuine hooker who just clicks into the spine like a cog and hums along for 65 minutes, laying the foundation for some mad terrier to carve up the last 15. I don't see Paix or Walters as mad terriers.

Sailor must be considered halves cover, because we're not exactly short of fullback/wingers.

It's a widely shared sentiment

Happy I Like It GIF

Completely ignoring who is better / has more potential out of Sailor and Smoothy... the choice should be a very easy one.

We desperately need another dedicated hooker in the top 30. We currently have NOBODY outside of Walters / Paix and both of them are likely going to be called on to cover for either our extremely young 5/8 or injury prone halfback throughout the course of the season.

From the perspective of what is best for our roster, it has to be Smoothy. We have a ton of outside backs with NRL quality players like Arthars, Pereira and Hoeter not even getting a run in the 17 as well as young upcoming players like Mariner ready to step up... Sailor would just be another body.

Completely ignoring who is better / has more potential out of Sailor and Smoothy... the choice should be a very easy one.

We desperately need another dedicated hooker in the top 30. We currently have NOBODY outside of Walters / Paix and both of them are likely going to be called on to cover for either our extremely young 5/8 or injury prone halfback throughout the course of the season.

From the perspective of what is best for our roster, it has to be Smoothy. We have a ton of outside backs with NRL quality players like Arthars, Pereira and Hoeter not even getting a run in the 17 as well as young upcoming players like Mariner ready to step up... Sailor would just be another body.
Thank you, you saved me a post because this is exactly what I was going to say.

None of our hookers could or should play 80 so if either one of them go down or have to fill in elsewhere we only have Mozer who hasn’t even fully recovered from injury yet. It’s a no brainer.

If you really wanted to fit both Tyson and Sailor in we could probably survive without Palasia.

Because we have no depth beyond Walters & Paix (and Mozer is too inexperienced), is it actually a masterstroke as they will be able to go outside the top 30 if we lose one of the above? Therefore we could call on Smoothy without having to tie up Spot 30?

Because we have no depth beyond Walters & Paix (and Mozer is too inexperienced), is it actually a masterstroke as they will be able to go outside the top 30 if we lose one of the above? Therefore we could call on Smoothy without having to tie up Spot 30?
No, it is not a fucking masterstroke. I demand a poll vote.

Paix is seeming to be somewhat injury prone as well. The depth in hooker is definitely a worry. I can't see either of them filling in the halves unless there's a major injury crisis. You'd imagine that Madden would be first cab off the rank if ARey or Ezra go down. Walsh could even slot into 6 if needed and open up a spot at the back for Herbie, Cobbo or Arthurs to have a run as well instead of Walters or Paix filling in.

I am convinced Paix name only gets mentioned because initially it was anyone except Turpin and now it's anyone except Billy

What has he actually done?

He barely impressed last season and he had plenty of opportunities

I am convinced Paix name only gets mentioned because initially it was anyone except Turpin and now it's anyone except Billy

If you can't unseat BW........you're not really what we're after.

We have to be aiming higher.
Keen to see if Mozer will stand out and be noticed......

I'm not sure the NRL will be that lenient with it.

If one gets injured we still have Mozer... it would be expected that if he's in the top 30 then he should be able to fill in better than a player on a development deal.

If we get a second injury, the NRL may well claim we still have at least 1 hooker available so that should be enough.

If that happened I think we'd use Madden as a utility. The major concern would be if we had to go into a game with Mozer and Madden as our hookers

From Rd 11 onwards I think we have free reign to pick Smoothy whenever we want. At least that's what the rule was before covid impacted seasons, but that was brought about due to bubble situations

If the NRL stick to that rule which of course they would because Broncos, it’s an absolute no brainer to sign Smoothy.

I sort of agree- Paix is entering his fifth season of ISC and fourth season of NRL and we are still seeing the same performances and having the same conversations that we saw/had in 2019. An upwards movement in 21 season but still talking about improvement and conditions.

Paix problem continues to be he is between jobs. He never plays 20 NRL games and he never plays 20 ISC games so it's always hard to get a read on anything or track improvement.

In 2021 I thought he improved his green light play his positioning everything went upwards when he played 10 games for Souths.

Then last season it's back to six ISC games and 12 NRL games off the bench. So you don't really learn too much more.

I thought last season in ISC he was mostly poor- came back at the end of the year and just went back to a 1980's hooker- pass and tackle.

Two runs against against Dolphins for 1m. He was timid and stand offish which was like he was from 19-20.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • eggstar10
  • NSW stables
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncorob
  • Nerd
  • simplythebest
  • Morkel
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.