PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
**** sake. It's the Courier Mail. It's the sport pages. And it's Rugby League. The base conversation this season is we have a new halfback. Who are we going to pair with him? The conversation about his son being a candidate is a water cooler meme that's barely even hit beyond the most diehard fans like us.

Every member of this board was bagging the **** out of Billy before the first trial and most were aghast he might bring in his son, who hasn't exactly come with his own brand. As for nepotism being a dirty word, you're talking about a coach who already has two brothers on the payroll. It's a legitimate, and very very common narrative right now. Not everyone has watched every ball of every game. 90% of fans will not even have watched the trials.

As for what Badel has written. He's said the opposite of what @Foordy said. Which is typical of that ****. He distorts everything. Kind of what he accuses journalists of doing. No exactly.

Badel has turned up to the press conference, taken Kevvie's quotes and padded them with context. It's bread and butter reporting. Here is all he's written. It's **** all:

"There is a view Billy has to perform even better than expected to justify his place at the Broncos, but Walters hit out at talk of a father-son bias, insisting family ties will not creep into the selection room."
The subs have rewritten the heading and lede several times:

View attachment 16912

As for Badel being a shit writer. Big deal. The Courier Mail is staffed by shit writers. It's a low tier rag aimed at the barely literate. Badel almost exclusively covers the Broncos, whose fanbase isn't the exactly the Algonquin Round Table. You're talking about a paper with Mike O'Connor and Peter Gleeson pipelining their opinions from between their arsecheeks.

None of that washes with me- Joel Gould and Roy Masters write great insight and narratives. So to say it's Rugby League you can't expect much is rubbish.

I have always supported Walters and sung his praises. So no not everyone didn't want him.

**** sake. It's the Courier Mail. It's the sport pages. And it's Rugby League. The base conversation this season is we have a new halfback. Who are we going to pair with him? The conversation about his son being a candidate is a water cooler meme that's barely even hit beyond the most diehard fans like us.

Every member of this board was bagging the **** out of Billy before the first trial and most were aghast he might bring in his son, who hasn't exactly come with his own brand. As for nepotism being a dirty word, you're talking about a coach who already has two brothers on the payroll. It's a legitimate, and very very common narrative right now. Not everyone has watched every ball of every game. 90% of fans will not even have watched the trials.

As for what Badel has written. He's said the opposite of what @Foordy said. Which is typical of that guy. He distorts everything. Kind of what he accuses journalists of doing. No exactly.

Badel has turned up to the press conference, taken Kevvie's quotes and padded them with context. It's bread and butter reporting. Here is all he's written. It's **** all:

"There is a view Billy has to perform even better than expected to justify his place at the Broncos, but Walters hit out at talk of a father-son bias, insisting family ties will not creep into the selection room."

View attachment 16912

As for Badel being a shit writer. Big deal. The Courier Mail is staffed by shit writers. It's a low tier rag aimed at the barely literate. Badel almost exclusively covers the Broncos, whose fanbase isn't the exactly the Algonquin Round Table. You're talking about a paper with Mike O'Connor and Peter Gleeson pipelining their opinions from between their arsecheeks.
I don’t have a horse in this race; but if the other blokes are “leaking sand”, this is a sandstorm of biblical proportions.

As for what Badel has written. He's said the opposite of what @Foordy said. Which is typical of that guy. He distorts everything. Kind of what he accuses journalists of doing. No exactly.

View attachment 16912

Stop getting your panties in twist Pete.

Just bear in mind, when you read a Badel article again it's pitched at you and even you struggle to understand it.

Even then, definitely says FAR more about the quality of writing if it isn't appealing to the audience its pitched at. I wouldn't expect you to understand that though because how can you understand what you yourself write?

Getting pretty tedious now. You're just derailing threads with this shit.
world of warcraft legion GIF

None of that washes with me- Joel Gould and Roy Masters write great insight and narratives. So to say it's Rugby League you can't expect much is rubbish.

I have always supported Walters and sung his praises. So no not everyone didn't want him.
Roy Masters is a liar and owes the club a massive apology for some of the worst stories ever written in rugby league. Linking the Broncos to the Titan's drug scandal simply because we are down the road should have had his pen license torn up

Even then, definitely says FAR more about the quality of writing if it isn't appealing to the audience its pitched at. I wouldn't expect you to understand that though because how can you understand what you yourself write?
You can tell you haven't actually read the article. You are now driveling gibberish. How about we return the thread to topic.

Think that is where we differ, I think it's terrible. You could get a Year 12 to write it, he has all the resources in the world and goes to training and rumours and terrible innuendo is all he produces. He should be writing double page analysis and offering insight.

Isn't that what he went to uni to be able to produce?
Hang on a minute, he went to Uni?

The McHunt/Foordy feud is simultaneously hilarious and sad/boring.

I want to see McHunt/Badel vs Foordy/Paul White at BHQ fight night.

2 vs 1 yeah yeah.

The McHunt/Foordy feud is simultaneously hilarious and sad/boring.

I want to see McHunt/Badel vs Foordy/Paul White at BHQ fight night.

2 vs 1 yeah yeah.
Hardly fair, Paul White can’t even stay awake late enough for a Main Event bout. He couldn’t stay awake in the middle of a Tuesday morning while he was supposed to be ‘running’ our football club apparently.

What's there to talk about?

Bog average at wests now only up here because his dad's coach.

Billy:

“To be honest I don’t have many memories of Mum. I was pretty young when she passed away. Kevvie used to talk about her a lot when we were growing up and about how great a person she was. We remind him of her a lot, which is pretty special."​
“We’ve got a lot of videos and photos I look back on. She did a diary of when I was younger as a kid. Kevvie gave me that when I had my first son Hugo six months ago, which is cool to look back on. I can see when I first started crawling, walking and talking, compared to what my son’s life is like. I’m doing the same thing for him now.”​

Kim Walters holding baby Billy in 1994. She died after a battle with breast cancer in 1998.

“I used to follow dad everywhere. He would go into the Broncos and I was the only child allowed in there because I’d sook and whinge at home if he didn’t take me with him. I’d roll into Red Hill with my footy boots on and hang with him the whole day. Having a child now, I don’t know what he would have done with me while he was training, but I survived somehow. I lived a childhood dream going to training with him every day.”​
“I was proud of being a Walters. It’s pretty cool having your dad and two uncles play in the NRL. It gave me something to live up to. It was always going to be hard to be better than Kevvie. He will tell you he won six premierships and played 250-plus games. I knew it was in my blood to play footy so I had to be proud of the name and enjoy it. My goal was to make the NRL and play some consistent footy. I’ve made it now and hopefully I can stay there.”​
“I always thought it would happen. Towards the end of high school I hadn’t had my growth spurt and everyone else had. I knew I had the skills for footy but I wasn’t big enough to compete with the other boys so I wasn’t making the top teams. I started to think it might not happen and I may have to do something else outside of footy, but I never gave up on the dream. I spent 2018-19 in Melbourne. I made my NRL debut at 25 and it was a long time coming. It was a night I’ll never forget.”​
“We’d always spoken about it growing up. If it was at the Broncos or somewhere else, we always wanted to work together at an NRL club. He signed with the Broncos but we didn’t want to push it too early because of what it might look like."​
“We spoke about it and knew people would say things but it didn’t turn us off. We both knew we could work together professionally and have the hard conversations if needed. He can drop me without feeling bad that I’m his son or me feeling angry that he’s my dad.”​
“It’s been really good because I know he backs me and has a lot of confidence in me and what I can do,” he said. It’s made me more confident in my game. I know I don’t have to overplay my hand or try to be the best player on the field to impress the coach. I know if I do my role really well he will pick me. He just wants everyone to be the best they can be and that will take us to where we want to go. I’ve got Kevvie on my side knowing I can bring a lot to the team and showcase what I’ve got to the NRL.”​

Daddy-o:

“We’ve had those discussions of nepotism. He is Billy Walters when he is at training and when he is not here, he is Billy Walters my son. I am extremely proud of him with my dad’s hat on. It’s a great opportunity for Billy. It’s not about what other people think, it’s about what we think as a playing group and the only way to silence all the doubters is for Billy to go out and play the way we know he can play.”​

McHunt

Billy:

“To be honest I don’t have many memories of Mum. I was pretty young when she passed away. Kevvie used to talk about her a lot when we were growing up and about how great a person she was. We remind him of her a lot, which is pretty special."​
“We’ve got a lot of videos and photos I look back on. She did a diary of when I was younger as a kid. Kevvie gave me that when I had my first son Hugo six months ago, which is cool to look back on. I can see when I first started crawling, walking and talking, compared to what my son’s life is like. I’m doing the same thing for him now.”​

Kim Walters holding baby Billy in 1994. She died after a battle with breast cancer in 1998.

“I used to follow dad everywhere. He would go into the Broncos and I was the only child allowed in there because I’d sook and whinge at home if he didn’t take me with him. I’d roll into Red Hill with my footy boots on and hang with him the whole day. Having a child now, I don’t know what he would have done with me while he was training, but I survived somehow. I lived a childhood dream going to training with him every day.”​
“I was proud of being a Walters. It’s pretty cool having your dad and two uncles play in the NRL. It gave me something to live up to. It was always going to be hard to be better than Kevvie. He will tell you he won six premierships and played 250-plus games. I knew it was in my blood to play footy so I had to be proud of the name and enjoy it. My goal was to make the NRL and play some consistent footy. I’ve made it now and hopefully I can stay there.”​
“I always thought it would happen. Towards the end of high school I hadn’t had my growth spurt and everyone else had. I knew I had the skills for footy but I wasn’t big enough to compete with the other boys so I wasn’t making the top teams. I started to think it might not happen and I may have to do something else outside of footy, but I never gave up on the dream. I spent 2018-19 in Melbourne. I made my NRL debut at 25 and it was a long time coming. It was a night I’ll never forget.”​
“We’d always spoken about it growing up. If it was at the Broncos or somewhere else, we always wanted to work together at an NRL club. He signed with the Broncos but we didn’t want to push it too early because of what it might look like."​
“We spoke about it and knew people would say things but it didn’t turn us off. We both knew we could work together professionally and have the hard conversations if needed. He can drop me without feeling bad that I’m his son or me feeling angry that he’s my dad.”​
“It’s been really good because I know he backs me and has a lot of confidence in me and what I can do,” he said. It’s made me more confident in my game. I know I don’t have to overplay my hand or try to be the best player on the field to impress the coach. I know if I do my role really well he will pick me. He just wants everyone to be the best they can be and that will take us to where we want to go. I’ve got Kevvie on my side knowing I can bring a lot to the team and showcase what I’ve got to the NRL.”​

Daddy-o:

“We’ve had those discussions of nepotism. He is Billy Walters when he is at training and when he is not here, he is Billy Walters my son. I am extremely proud of him with my dad’s hat on. It’s a great opportunity for Billy. It’s not about what other people think, it’s about what we think as a playing group and the only way to silence all the doubters is for Billy to go out and play the way we know he can play.”​

McHunt

That's a great read, when you've got such a legit likeable family involved at the club, it is refreshing. I reckon Kevvie's loveable attitude would be having such a positive effect on the group, I really am rooting for him to succeed and Billy too.

I did love this though:
'He is Billy Walters when he is at training and when he is not here, he is Billy Walters...'

So...in any event, he is...Billy Walters.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncos Maestro
  • FACTHUNT
  • HarryAllan7
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • Organix
  • Behind enemy lines
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • Rowdy124
  • Wendall Taylor
  • LittleDavey
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.