PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
I don't think he was that bad at the Tigers, that might be the perception because of how shit the Tigers were but I remember watching a few of their games and thinking he was far from their worst

He's got a good step on him, be handy to have him late in the game with fresh legs

I don't think he was that bad at the Tigers, that might be the perception because of how shit the Tigers were but I remember watching a few of their games and thinking he was far from their worst

He's got a good step on him, be handy to have him late in the game with fresh legs
Although he doesnt have paix's speed or acceleration, he has a good step and good dummy/show'n'go which could be handy against some tired forwards in the middle.

He will just need tesi and others, to follow him in support because he may not have the speed to capitalise on half breaks he makes.

I just read the article on nrl.com about the Walters family. I have always been okay with the idea Billy got a spot in the 30, but I know not everyone has.

I had a bit of an a-ha moment after reading it...maybe those claiming nepotism are looking at it all wrong. Perhaps Kevvie shows a bit of favouritism...but perhaps its not about him being his son. Maybe its because he knows Billy and the fact that he has always dreamt of playing for the Broncos, that he would be loyal to the team first, that he wouldn't consider playing for other teams unless this team no longer wanted him.

After all, the fans and forum members are continually complaining about the lack of loyalty that players have shown to the club and to the team...following the money, etc.

Take away the fact that his dad is the coach, and you're left with a player who puts the jersey first.
Maybe that's enough?

I just read the article on nrl.com about the Walters family. I have always been okay with the idea Billy got a spot in the 30, but I know not everyone has.

I had a bit of an a-ha moment after reading it...maybe those claiming nepotism are looking at it all wrong. Perhaps Kevvie shows a bit of favouritism...but perhaps its not about him being his son. Maybe its because he knows Billy and the fact that he has always dreamt of playing for the Broncos, that he would be loyal to the team first, that he wouldn't consider playing for other teams unless this team no longer wanted him.

After all, the fans and forum members are continually complaining about the lack of loyalty that players have shown to the club and to the team...following the money, etc.

Take away the fact that his dad is the coach, and you're left with a player who puts the jersey first.
Maybe that's enough?
It goes like this:

If you're good, you should be loyal (Haas).
If you're shit, take your loyalty somewhere else (ie Turpin)

It goes like this:

If you're good, you should be loyal (Haas).
If you're shit, take your loyalty somewhere else (ie Turpin)
Nah mate.

Does not matter if your good or not.
Billy is no super star but he loves the club and therefore he's value for money and will not be agitating for unreal wages.
Turps might be loyal too, but if the Dolphins offer him more dosh his 'loyalty' will be tested. If he chooses to go and make slightly more cash I wish him well.

If you're shit, well that speaks for itself.

We look like a glorified day care with him in the team at current.

Walters has been solid in attack with few opportunities, but pretty darn good in defence. Having both halves who don't shirk their respinsibilities in defence is nice for once.

Hard to pick much fault with the way he's being used at the moment. Gets in and gets involved, makes his tackles. Is improving his passing from dummy half and is seemingly not that quick off the mark, but happy to see him try a few runs for variety around the ruck. All in all it's hard to deny it's working for the team.

Hard to pick much fault with the way he's being used at the moment. Gets in and gets involved, makes his tackles. Is improving his passing from dummy half and is seemingly not that quick off the mark, but happy to see him try a few runs for variety around the ruck. All in all it's hard to deny it's working for the team.
Much the same with Gamble, really. Good enough to get the job done for now, but the axe remains poised. Needs to keep earning his place every week. Paix, even moreso.

Much the same with Gamble, really. Good enough to get the job done for now, but the axe remains poised. Needs to keep earning his place every week. Paix, even moreso.
I actually came here to say that he has been Gambleish.

Not a great deal of skill or ability but works his ass off and would be annoying as to play against. He is an aggressive little bugger and he’s not afraid to punch above his weight class.

He still makes some poor decisions and when he’s on I’m counting down the minutes until Paix comes on but last game he was crafty. Milked a few penalties, stopped the Trbo try, and if the bunker flipped a different coin he’d have a try assist for that strip.

I still think Paix should be starting, but at this point I would also be very reluctant to mess too much with what is clearly working, especially with Turpin still hovering around in the background. It's a tough one.

All we can do is hope Paix manages to get physically effective playing 60 minutes, then he can come off for a breather and Walters can shore up the middle.

I thought I would spare the Player Movements thread.

I don't understand the vitriol being directed at Billy.

From my perspective, once he went to dummy half he actually proved himself to be a valuable member of the squad. Sure, he wasn't a top tier dummy half but he did his job for the team and he was an improvement over Turpin who offered little beyond his defence.

Even when the team was struggling, Billy was the one player still having a crack. The only game he played poorly in was against Parra when he had to fill in at 7 which has never been his position.

I thought I would spare the Player Movements thread.

I don't understand the vitriol being directed at Billy.

From my perspective, once he went to dummy half he actually proved himself to be a valuable member of the squad. Sure, he wasn't a top tier dummy half but he did his job for the team and he was an improvement over Turpin who offered little beyond his defence.

Even when the team was struggling, Billy was the one player still having a crack. The only game he played poorly in was against Parra when he had to fill in at 7 which has never been his position.
My post from May a few above this still reflects my thoughts on Billy.

He was an improvement on Turpin. I don’t think he is a better hooker than Paix but I admit that Paix doesn’t have the motor for 80 minutes.

The rotation seemed as good as we could get when Billy would start and then make way for Paix during the first half than come back on when Paix got tired. It didn’t make sense to move away from that (outside of injury).

My frustrations with Billy aren’t really a reflection of Billy. It’s that through no fault of his own, he is part of our best hooking rotation and I think that’s a problem. I also think Paix should never have been dropped for Turpin and if Kev wanted to play Turpin that bad, Billy was the one who should’ve made room. So part of me wants Billy gone to take that choice off the table. He’s a fine depth player but he shouldn’t be more than that - I’m not entirely convinced their isn’t some bias at play in relation to his selection and minutes.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Brocko
  • Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • broncs30
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Browny
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • Dash
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • ezpz
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.