PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Not sure anyone would call Walters, a slow reserve grade 5/8, an attacking 9. Maybe Nikorima is a better example, or Hunt under Griffin
I guess compared to Turpin....or go back further and compare to McCullough

BW is Harry Grant like.......in that he will run from dummy half

You kind of want to be careful here in terms of "we should be looking for another Berrigan"...

Berrigan was a half/utility that played a lot of 9 out of versatility, based his game on effort, guts and tenacity, and only really played as the starting 9 in a couple of seasons because there were not many other options due to deficiencies in the roster or injury (eg, Ennis). In fact, Berrigan's hooking partner, Casey Maguire, could have comparisons drawn with Paix in that he was also a half that was versatile enough to play as a 14, had a big more skill than the starting 9, but not the same of tenacity. Maguire & Paix had a very different skill set of course, Paix being more of a livewire (like a Nikorima) and Maguire being more a all-rounder depth half, but still.

Just saying that a Walters/Paix combo actually has a lot of comparisons to our mid-00's lineup, the difference is in the balance of the rest of the squad... and... other NRL related limitations...

Berrigan at hooker

02-9 games
06- 9 games
07- 15 games

Berrigan Bench

99- 10 games
00- 11 games
01- 2 games
02- 1 game
11- 3 games

79 games at centre
22 games at 6
44 games at 7
Berrigan played multiple positions for the Kangaroos .
I can remember him playing centre , half , 5/8 . Not sure did he play hooker or lock as well ?

Not many have been as versatile as Berro .

Berrigan played multiple positions for the Kangaroos .
I can remember him playing centre , half , 5/8 . Not sure did he play hooker or lock as well ?

Not many have been as versatile as Berro .

Yeah he played hooker (14) for Aus a few times.

Who was available at the time? I don't recall it being anything but slim pickings. There were options in 2022 for 2023 and the club dropped the ball there, but Billy was already signed at that point.
I've been trying to talk about the 2023 season.

Like who?

Turpin played 40 minutes and made 1 run for 4 metres in the Eels game. 21 tackles, 1 missed and 1 ineffective; 2 errors. Against the Tigpies Billy played 59mins, ran 8 times for 80 metres, had 2x line break assists and a try assist, a tackle break, an offload, a 46m DH run. 31 tackles, 2 missed and 2 ineffective, no errors or penalties against.

You pick some strange hills to die on, my friend. Billy's not the reason we either won the Eels game, or lost to the Tigers.

Also need to point out the 3 weeks before our game the Tigers had also lost narrowly to the Eels (20-28) and Penrith (16-18) before being robbed against the Cows in North Queensland. Sure their season imploded after that but the Broncos also had a good run for a time and we all know how that ended too.
I'm not dying.

So how about that Tyson Smoothy?
Tyson has a fairly nice pass out of hooker but is nothing special and probably won’t be more than a respectable NRL journeyman so in other words, he’s the best current 9 option at the club.

Walters played really well against Wynnum Manly in last year's trial, as well. Just as good as Smoothy did.

Let's see what Smoothy can do against NRL opposition.

Walters played really well against Wynnum Manly in last year's trial, as well. Just as good as Smoothy did.

Let's see what Smoothy can do against NRL opposition.
I have seen what he does against NRL opposition. It’s more or less the same thing.

Tyson has a fairly nice pass out of hooker but is nothing special and probably won’t be more than a respectable NRL journeyman so in other words, he’s the best current 9 option at the club.
After 1 game against nonsense?

I think he will overtake Billy at some point but actual opposition needs to be seen first.

You are discounting the out - in move he initiated .
Nothing special ? Need to see him play a few games of NRL before I pass that kind of judgement .

After 1 game against nonsense?

I think he will overtake Billy at some point but actual opposition needs to be seen first.
he’s played nrl and the games are available on Kayo. I like the way he plays

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • GCBRONCO
  • RodF
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brocko
  • Bish
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • broncsgoat
  • sooticus
  • KeithustEndaf
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • bazza
  • Charlesstor
  • Lewisuhahix
  • Aldo
  • Johnny92
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.