NEWS Wests Tigers set to pounce on Broncos star Anthony Milford: Report

I am prepared for some backlash but, This year i think milford, perhaps more than anyone, was a victim of seibold's inadequate game plans and inability to develop or implement structures.

Milford has not demonstrated a high footy IQ thus far, which made it extremely difficult for him to perform this year because he had no clear definition to his role. Was he the game manager? Kicker? Off the cuff player? Runner of the ball? Fullback? No wonder he looked aimless.

Milford's best years were when he was given one job.

In saying that, it is my opinion that a 1 mil player is a player who can overcome these obstacles. They should not be a player whose performance is dictated by others (i.e. JT often performed well despite the cowboys playing poorly). For that reason, i would probably be offering approx 800k next contract and allow him to explore his options if he was not agreeable.
[automerge]1572762810[/automerge]
Water sucks. Gatorade is better.
Giphy 9

Last edited:
Can’t believe some of the Milf bashing in here. Mostly sweet F A since 2015? if you think we were crap with him practically running attack by himself, imagine how we would have gone without him .

About the same I would imagine.

If the club is smart, they would offer Milf $750k/yr for his next contract and say take it or leave it.

You have to remember he is only on $1M because Hunt jumped ship when he got offered $1.2M and the club panicked and didn’t have a position of power.

This time around his stocks have fallen and isn’t commanding the same amount of attention. Also family was one of the main reasons he left Canberra to come to us. As a club I’d be confident Milford wouldn’t leave us if we offered him $800k max. I don’t think he leaves his family and moves to Sydney for an extra $200k. It would take a St George - Ben Hunt style deal for him to really consider leaving I feel all things considered.

This would be smart business and an extra $200-$250k could shore up other players.

I am prepared for some backlash but, This year i think milford, perhaps more than anyone, was a victim of seibold's inadequate game plans and inability to develop or implement structures.

Milford has not demonstrated a high footy IQ thus far, which made it extremely difficult for him to perform this year because he had no clear definition to his role. Was he the game manager? Kicker? Off the cuff player? Runner of the ball? Fullback? No wonder he looked aimless.

Milford's best years were when he was given one job.

In saying that, it is my opinion that a 1 mil player is a player who can overcome these obstacles. They should not be a player whose performance is dictated by others (i.e. JT often performed well despite the cowboys playing poorly). For that reason, i would probably be offering approx 800k next contract and allow him to explore his options if he was not agreeable.

This is exactly the approach the club should take with him, and this stuff about the Tigers only springing up now tells me they already have. This reeks of Milf's manager putting the feelers out via the media if nothing else. If someone told me Milf still believed he is worth the money he is currently on, I would question it of course but I would not disbelieve it. He would be attempting to gloss over his own deficiencies by holding up the fact he has been the only person at the wheel for so long. It works, as we've seen in this very thread.

Don't get me wrong, ultimately I like Milf, and if I knew absolutely that he was definitely going to get back somewhere near where we know he can be, I would be saying retain him, but frankly we don't have that guarantee, and the circumstances surrounding our cap currently means difficult decisions need to be made at times.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I believe based on this year's form, Wighton is worth more than Milf at the moment. I would happily swap the two. Wighton is a real footballer. Milf doesn't know what he wants to be - a pro footy player or just one of the Southside boyz at a half-court shootin hoops.
Fucken hell....Wighton has been less than average for 2-3 seasons. Has some luck with a decent dummy half calling the shots for half a season, and nek minnit ......we should dump our top signing for him. RL sure is a fickle game for some......

I'm in two minds if i want him to go or not. Part of me thinks he has the ability to kick on with a good 7 beside him, but the other part of me thinks at 25 years old he still hasnt grasped he needs to take his preparation in terms of looking after his fitness more seriously, and i wonder if he ever will. As much as people go on about Boyd's contract ( and Bird to a lesser extent ) Milf's nowhere near a million dollar footballer. 500k a year would be about it right now, he is costing us as much as anyone in terms of value for money.

Last edited:
I'm in two minds if i want him to go or not. Part of me thinks he has the ability to kick on with a good 7 beside him, but the other part of me thinks at 25 years old he still has grasped he needs to take his preparation in terms of looking after his fitness more seriously, and i wonder if he ever will. As much as people go on about Boyd's contract ( and Bird to a lesser extent ) Milf's nowhere near a million dollar footballer. 500k a year would be about it right now, he is costing us as much as anyone in terms of value for money.
He is a $1m player. Players form is cyclical. Currently Ash Taylor and Ben Hunt are on the same/more money than Milford. I'd rather Milford than either of those two. Jack Bird is on reported $850k and has done nothing for 2 years, Boyd reports $800k does nothing at all ever, Klemmer apparently overe $800k also useless, Corey Norman apparently $800-$900k, Mitch Moses has been a potato until this year and has been on big money, so too Luke Brookes.

There are very few playmakers in the game that are any good, as such any that even have a tiny amount of potential get huge pay packets.

Like Hunt, Milford is still haunted from that 2015 nightmare...let's go in a new direction or offer 650k and no more. Him, Boyd and Macca are like a once good union/marriage but have since lost the romance but just hanging around for the sake of the kids (in this case $$$).

I'm in two minds if i want him to go or not. Part of me thinks he has the ability to kick on with a good 7 beside him, but the other part of me thinks at 25 years old he still hasnt grasped he needs to take his preparation in terms of looking after his fitness more seriously, and i wonder if he ever will. As much as people go on about Boyd's contract ( and Bird to a lesser extent ) Milf's nowhere near a million dollar footballer. 500k a year would be about it right now, he is costing us as much as anyone in terms of value for money.
This makes signing Croft so important because it gives us a full season to have a genuinely good look at Milford outside a proper Halfback to see if there is anything there to warrant retaining him past his current deal.

I'm hopeful that it will be the key to unlocking his game but I'm also realistic that at his age, with all the disruptions he's had during his time at the Broncos, perhaps he'll never reach those heights again. The Broncos haven't typically been a club that takes good players and breaks them, but on this occasion I'm getting the feeling it might have been the case.

Last edited:
Yup, Milf has been getting picked on that 2015 ever since, and on many an occasion, he hasn't deserved to. He's mostly done SFA ever since.

The way he's been going these past 4 years, I can really see him sitting back in 20 years time and thinking to himself, "christ those were some wasted years and talent, if only I had knuckled down".
He’s been our best player in two of the four years since

This makes signing Croft so important because it gives us a full season to have a genuinely good look at Milford outside a proper Halfback to see if there is anything there to warrant retaining him past his current deal.

I'm hopeful that it will be the key to unlocking his game but I'm also realistic that at his age, with all the disruptions he's had during his time at the Broncos, perhaps he'll never reach those heights again. The Broncos haven't typically been a club that takes good players and breaks them, but on this occasion I'm getting the feeling it might have been the case.

Milf has to take a fair bit of responsibility as well. He trains well enough, but he just does whats required of him. He doesnt put in a lot of extra work. Be interesting to see how he comes back fitness wise after the break. Its things like his nutrition as well. I do know he drinks way too much soft drink for example. Thats something he could knock on the head.

If Broncs let Milf walk and then soften it by signing Croft, what a mess that would be. The club would have to subsidise at least half Milf’s salary while paying Croft, essentially signing Croft on 900k!

I can't believe the shallow analysis of Milford's form here.

I'll make one point - the performance of any member of the spine is dependent on all others. Why? Because the defence TARGETS playmakers.

For many games this year, Milford was the only true playmaker on the field. Boyd - nup. McCullough - nup. Turpin - not a halfback. So oppositions knew that Milford would be the kicker or the go-to man on the last two tackles.

This is too much responsibility for one player - kicker, playmaker and expected to make three line breaks in a game. It's not going to happen.

Return Milford to No. 6. Have a spin of quality (good fullback, Deardon and Turpin) - and watch Milford's form return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe the shallow analysis of Milford's form here.

I'll make one point - the performance of any member of the spine is dependent on all others. Why? Because the defence TARGETS playmakers.

For many games this year, Milford was the only true playmaker on the field. Boyd - nup. McCullough - nup. Turpin - not a halfback. So oppositions knew that Milford would be the kicker or the go-to man on the last two tackles.

This is too much responsibility for one player - kicker, playmaker and expected to make three line breaks in a game. It's not going to happen.

Return Milford to No. 6. Have a spin of quality (good fullback, Deardon and Turpin) - and watch Milford's form return.

Yes.

Does noone remember Jarryd Hayne at the Eels?

Eels were always waiting for him to get "fit", "confident", "his head right", "diet right", "training right"

It's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

We should move on and clear up the cap space for someone worth the 1 mil.

The obvious future targets would be Munster and Ponga. Maybe DCE.

Surely the Broncos can snatch someone of quality and restore the faith of fans.

Last edited:
Does noone remember Jarryd Hayne at the Eels?

Eels were always waiting for him to get "fit", "confident", "his head right", "diet right", "training right"

It's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

We should move on and clear up the cap space for someone worth the 1 mil.

The obvious future targets would be Munster and Ponga. Maybe DCE.

Surely the Broncos can snatch someone of quality and restore the faith of fans.

We can’t even sign Croft, I would put dreams of DCE and Ponga away.

In my view we have to keep Milford. I still think he is amongst the best players in the game but had an ordinary year like the rest of the team. If we get the right partner for him I am convinced he is a key component of our success. Yes, he is on more than he should be.
[automerge]1572830247[/automerge]

In my view our best option is to offload Bird. If we can get a Sydney club to pay $400K of his salary and then we bring in croft. I think that is achievable. I'd prefer to offload Boyd and Macca but that is looking more unlikely

Last edited:

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.