What’s going wrong with us?

Once the Boyd ordeal is sorted, Macca will follow and hopefully the moral will be lifted. It would be shit house to play alongside a captain that's performing with the attitude he does.

You know things are bad when we are suggesting recruiting a guy who can't make the Tigers top 17

And I'm not criticising the post either, I agree that Reynolds would add something to our squad, just with respect to enthusiasm, passion and commitment

I just think it's a sad state of affairs
It's a sad state of affairs when the Storms 4th string fullback would walk into our side and their 3rd string 9 Harry Grant would be their somewhere as well.

It's a sad state of affairs when the Storms 4th string fullback would walk into our side and their 3rd string 9 Harry Grant would be their somewhere as well.
I was thinking about this yesterday. How on earth has the Storm got so far in front of us from Melbourne? Like you said their fourth choice fullback looks streets ahead of what our capt. contagious offered. Why has our forward planning been left to rot on the vine for so long?

Shit we have spots that are in desperate need of some class yet many of our young bucks cannot see a path into the first team and choose to move elsewhere.

From what I have seen this season we have Coates and Farnworth coming through as backs who are just about ready to step up into first grade and essentially that's it.

It may be a false perception but it seems Melbourne are able to pull players from nowhere for any position and they instantly look the goods. Could you imagine Shiba getting a run down there? Worse still could you imagine him getting a subsequent spot after the shit shows he has delivered?

I was thinking about this yesterday. How on earth has the Storm got so far in front of us from Melbourne? Like you said their fourth choice fullback looks streets ahead of what our capt. contagious offered. Why has our forward planning been left to rot on the vine for so long?

Shit we have spots that are in desperate need of some class yet many of our young bucks cannot see a path into the first team and choose to move elsewhere.

From what I have seen this season we have Coates and Farnworth coming through as backs who are just about ready to step up into first grade and essentially that's it.

It may be a false perception but it seems Melbourne are able to pull players from nowhere for any position and they instantly look the goods. Could you imagine Shiba getting a run down there? Worse still could you imagine him getting a subsequent spot after the shit shows he has delivered?
I honestly believe it's because they weight character ahead of potential and whoever is assessing that is doing a magnificent job.
We seem to like the shiny new toy as a preference but Melbournes model of picking substance first and talent second is a clear winner.

Jake Turpin is a good example. Yes he has ability but so far this year it's been his desire to win that has made him standout. That's exactly what you need from everyone especially your 300 to 400k players. You need everything they have and a bit more.
Macca is a perfect example of what you don't need and someone who wouldn't cut it at the Storm. He was clearly taking the piss until his position was under threat.
There's no way Bellamy would let him skate for as long as he did.

Last edited:
Melbourne do have players like Shiba. The difference is they limit their roles and let them operate within a set limitation of abilities. You will never see Carr playing centre in a game or being left to kick it. You will never see them offload early. They have defined roles, with the exception of a select few (Slater, Munster).
They follow the coach's instructions to the letter or they don't play, regardless of skill or ability (croft).
We on the other give our young players free reign to test their skills and they live or die with the result.

Melbourne do have players like Shiba. The difference is they limit their roles and let them operate within a set limitation of abilities. You will never see Carr playing centre in a game or being left to kick it. You will never see them offload early. They have defined roles, with the exception of a select few (Slater, Munster).
They follow the coach's instructions to the letter or they don't play, regardless of skill or ability (croft).
We on the other give our young players free reign to test their skills and they live or die with the result.
[quote
If the basics of picking up, catching and ball retention is a skill that we let Shiba's live and die by he died on his debut. Some of our guys can't even perform the basics. Boyd catching a ball that was going out and then falling over the line with it. Macca unable to see obvious number advantages coupled with perhaps the slowest and inaccurate deliveries from the ptb. These are schoolboy skills that we should expect as a given from a Bronco.

Our standards have slipped badly over the last 7 or 8 years. In fact it was character that old Cyril used to judge his recruits by first up. He'd speak to their school teachers, their coaches and then consider their talent as secondary. It seems Melbourne are still following that criteria.
[automerge]1565593094[/automerge]
Do we have any highlights of Shiba's lowergrade exploits?

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.