What is going on???? The Knee Jerk.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I must say I am disappointed with some of the reactions from some QLD fans. The biggest knee jerk reaction I have seen was wanting Crocker and Johnson to replace Taylor and Gillett. Seriously I am embarassed by some of the reactions. QLD don't make ridiculous changed to a side that lost by 4 points carrying injured players.

I must say I am disappointed with some of the reactions from some QLD fans. The biggest knee jerk reaction I have seen was wanting Crocker and Johnson to replace Taylor and Gillett. Seriously I am embarassed by some of the reactions. QLD don't make ridiculous changed to a side that lost by 4 points carrying injured players.

While crocker and johnson are very strange selections, not all ppl wanting changes are knee jerk reactions. I do believe tho taylor and gillet have both been given a chance and they are both very similar players which we dont seem to be getting the best of. I think one of them needs to go for a different kind of player thats all. No need to drop both, but i just think we need to mix it up a bit and give the likes of teo a go.

While Taylor and Gillett haven't been given much opportunity either I don't think we have used them well enough. If Parker is fit to play I think he stays. If Thaiday is to come back in it is for Gillett or Taylor IMO. I'd leave Gillett out at this stage. I have been disappointed with Taylor he just has no mongrel at all. Not sure if Te'o is deserving and in that good of form. He has played the odd good game for the Broncos but hasn't dominated because he doesn't get a lot of minutes. I think next year will be his chance to really shine.

While Taylor and Gillett haven't been given much opportunity either I don't think we have used them well enough. If Parker is fit to play I think he stays. If Thaiday is to come back in it is for Gillett or Taylor IMO. I'd leave Gillett out at this stage. I have been disappointed with Taylor he just has no mongrel at all. Not sure if Te'o is deserving and in that good of form. He has played the odd good game for the Broncos but hasn't dominated because he doesn't get a lot of minutes. I think next year will be his chance to really shine.

I kind of disagree in a way that taylor and gillet havent been given much opportunity. They both played more than half the game last night. But having said that i totally agree with you that we arent using them right. The question has to be asked then, if we arent going to use them like they should be used, why pick them? 100% agree on taylor having no mongrel. The guy could steamroll any player out there, but he seems so timid and overwhelmed.

NSW has players that are quick, hard hitting and skilful, like Lewis, Bird, Watmough and Tamou. They also have mongrel in them and aim up to hurt up and push us back. Compare that to our pack where we have scott, civo, hannant, shillo, taylor, harrison and myles. They are all brilliant, reliable players, but lets be honest, they all lack mongrel. Can you see one of them running as hard as they can to smash a nsw player backwards? I cant sadly. I think teo has the right mix of aggression, speed and agililty to put it to the blues. We are so reliable, but so so so predictable.

Having said that, teo wont get a go, and the only change that will happen is if parker is out injured, thaiday will come back in. Agree with you that if parker is fit, gillet should go for thaiday because parker should more with his few hitups last night than gillet has all series.

Taylor needs to stay, but he needs to be used properly.

The only major changes QLD should be making, is their game plan. Our forwards are not going to bust up the middle, so all they are doing is wasting tackles by trying it.

We do far better passing the ball around.

Another reason why I think Thaiday was missed, he has that bit of mongrel and aggression in him IMO. Gee I wish Tunza was 28 and in the team.

Taylor needs to be wide all night and not expected to do any of the "tough" hitups and tackles. He should be running off the edge of Thurston or Cronk at their halves and getting Hodges or Inglis extra room.

Taylor needs to be wide all night and not expected to do any of the "tough" hitups and tackles. He should be running off the edge of Thurston or Cronk at their halves and getting Hodges or Inglis extra room.

I disagree, he should be doing what Mal and the coaching staff WANTS him to do. And not complain in the process.

Well yes, but it's about time Mal and co realise they need to be running big men on the fringes to open up space out wide.

I disagree, he should be doing what Mal and the coaching staff WANTS him to do. And not complain in the process.

I agree he should do exactly what the coaches tell him to, I just hope they get him to do exactly what I have suggested.

I agree that it'll probably get the most out of him, I just don't like it how it's the only way he can play. I personally hope Souths somehow end up playing him in the front row for a bit to toughen him up. He's got the right build for a prop forward/middle 1/3rd runner as well.

I posted elsewhere that for mine, there are 2 key issues: how players are used, or not used (game plan), and that Thurston and Cronk are yet to combine effectively to create space and time for the runners on the fringe like Taylor and Gillett, and Inglis and Hodges.

As well, NSW's defence has such good line speed that our middle gets cluttered, and last night showed Thurston couldn't handle that. Cronk certainly improvved things, but that's not enough to win

As for the pack and mongrel, I totally agree with the above posts. There hasn't been any so far. This is amazing given the performances of Scott and Shillington last year, where they ploughed straight through the NSW forwards, constantly bending and sometimes breaking the defensive line.

What's changed? Whatever it might be, it needs to change back. Mongrel IS the word.

Last edited:
That's why we NEED Teo, lacking so much aggression.

Before talking about mongrel replacements, the coaching team need to look at why Scott, Shillington and Civo have lost their mojo.

At least Thaiday should bring a bit more of that back, and I also reckon if any prop change is necessary, McGuire would be a good option

lol at calling it a knee jerk.

to be a knee jerk it has to be a spur of the moment thing. people not wanting civoniceva there is not a spur of the moment thing. people not wanting gillett there is not a spur of the moment thing, at least it wasnt for me. didnt want him there in game 1, didnt want him there in game 2, dont want him there in game 3. taylor is the closest to what you could call a knee jerk reaction, but its not really as he has had what, 5 origin matches so far and is really yet to do, well anything. 47 minutes on the field for 7 hitups last game, none of which i can even remember they were that ordinary. he has all the aspects of a great origin player, yet he fails to use them for one reason or another. how many more chances do we give him? do we just keep on picking players hoping theyll come good, losing series after series because of "loyalty"?

sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand. gillett has had 2 inept performances out of 2, despite playing big minutes in game 2. taylor has had 2 inept performances despite playing big minutes, and didnt really do much other than get punched and headbutted in the other 3 games.

when we have other guys who are going great guns and their form is just begging for them to get a go in origin, why not give them a go? whats the worst that happens, they dont play well? the guys theyre replacing werent playing well either, so we're not really losing anything.

And come off the bench every time - not run on!

If there is any change, I would drop Gillett for Parker (after being a massive Parker basher for years, I surprised myself saying that)

DT did a fair bit of work in defense on Wednesday, and like others have said his role isn't suiting his best football right now. He'll do a job no matter what you ask him to do but punching back into the middle is not it. Todd Carney is on par with Sandow in defense (except he can't put on a shot) get Dave a 20m run up and go straight over the shit-tattooed alcoholic ****.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Fitzy
  • bb_gun
  • Splinter
  • Broncorob
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrRobot
  • ell.d33
  • broncsgoat
  • mystico
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.