What players are must keeps?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Jumping on the meltdown wave. Im curious what players form our current squad posters consider must-keeps?

For me , in no real order:
Haas
Fifita
Staggs
Coates
Dearden

Then I have the non-vital but should keeps:
Farnworth
Turpin
TPJ
Carrigan

Last edited:
For mine, Farnworth is an absolute must-have along with Carrigan, in addition to Fifita, Haas, Staggs and Coates

As for Dearden who I like a lot, it remains to be seen how he will go playing in a dog's breakfast of a game plan such as we have. Paix I would also keep. I think he has potential

Last edited:
Haas, Fifita, Carrigan & Staggs are the only ones I'd consider must-keeps. Literally couldn't care less if we released the other 26 players and started fresh next year.

Yep, keep those 4. The rest can either **** off immediately (Boyd, Milford, Oates, Joe O) or can re-apply for their jobs, including Seibold.

Must: Haas, Fifita, TPJ, Carrigan, Coates, Staggs, Farnworth
The rest could maybe be better, but I believe the team we have now if coached well could do WAY better then we doing ATM.

Id rather move along the following and keep the rest:

Move on:
Boyd
Milf
Oates? (reduced rate at least)
Offa
Bird (pending recovery and reduced contract only)

The rest can stay. Flegler has started to shit the bed, no idea why. Issac Luke actually had a good game IMO!

SOS and Deardon and Croft to fight it out over halves.

The backline in a few seasons can be cracker with Issako, Coates, Staggs, Herbie and Bird*. Im sure theres other ive forgot for the backs.

Haas
Fifita
Staggs
Coates
Farnworth
TPJ
Carrigan
Dearden
Niu

Niu and Dearden are speculation must-haves.

None in the team that has run out in the last 4 weeks. Only a superstar 7, 6, 9, or 1 would be must keep. It would be nice to keep Haas, Fifita, Staggs. No big drama if anyone else left.

Better to nominate the players who could be shown the door as early as possible. Milford, Boyd, Bird, Lodge, TPJ (I know he does good things but seems to screw up more often), Oats, Isakko, Luke, Croft.

I think you have to start with spine players and so:

Farnsworth, Niu, Dearden, Croft, Paix, and Turps are keepers , particularly at their current market rates.

Beyond that we need good footballers in the true sense of the word, as well as leaders.

I think Carrigan , Lodge and Staggs can fit that bill.

Beyond that I would have said Haas and Fifita, but the end game last year and past off season has changed my view, and will take a bit to change back.

I am not on the hype train for TPJ or Coates. Both have massive holes in their games. But would persist.

Players like Alex Glenn don't let you down in obvious ways, but they lack that next level that can win big games and premierships. Compare with Alan Cann , as example.

I'd keep Milf if he had the right coach and pay level.

This:

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
6. Dearden
8. Haas
10. Flegler (For now)
11. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Paix (For now)

18. Walsh
19. Bullemor (For now)
20. Riki (For now)

That's it for now, no one on the big money is a must have - THAT is the biggest problem and not one of those on big money is worth even half of what they are on.

Jumping on the meltdown wave. Im curious what players form our current squad posters consider must-keeps?

For me , in no real order:
Haas
Fifita
Staggs
Coates
Dearden

Then I have the non-vital but should keeps:
Farnworth
Turpin
TPJ
Carrigan
Carrigan is firmly in the must keep category for me. Only Haas and possibly Fifita are bigger priorities.

This:

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
6. Dearden
8. Haas
10. Flegler (For now)
11. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Paix (For now)

18. Walsh
19. Bullemor (For now)
20. Riki (For now)

That's it for now, no one on the big money is a must have - THAT is the biggest problem and not one of those on big money is worth even half of what they are on.
I'd be keeping TPJ. He made the most mistakes - often because he was pushing the ball in slippery conditions - but he was also our best. He looks like he wants to win, and that's the kind of player I want. Actually, I want 17 of him, plus Fifita and Haas.

Carrigan and Fifita. Get rid of anyone from south of the border and build us back up with Queenslanders.
Haas can stay. We have history (Lazarus) with having the best Prop in NSW on our books.

In Chris Johns and De Vere we also have a proud history of NSW born Centres too, so Staggs can maybe have a lifeline as well.

Last edited:
Carrigan and Fifita. Get rid of anyone from south of the border and build us back up with Queenslanders.

...except Haas (Lazarus) and Staggs (Johns), that's worked well in the past. All other non-Queenslanders - get out! (And Boyd and Milf play like NSWelshmen, so they can get out too)

Keep list would be:

Fifita - Obvious, potential 10+ year gun backrower
Haas - Same as above but prop (would love him to play angrier)
Carrigan - Been impressive, value for money as he is not flashy and you need players willing to do the dirty work
Staggs - Once his defence improves he will comfortably be a top 10 centre
Coates - Much potential and isn't (currently) overpaid
Farnworth - Like the Carrigan of the backline

Honorable mention to TPJ, yes he does some stupid things but he is one of the few who you can tell is trying, one of our few intimidating players and adds energy. Could be amazing with the correct coach.

All the rest are pretty replaceable, every club could point to young players no different to Flegler, Dearden and Niu.

Last edited:

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.