What Role Should Adam Blair Play In The Team?

Rod Griffin would make more ground than that by three hitups and then make another 20 hit ups.

While I would not replace Blair in the starting line up with Griffin, i wouldnt mind seeing Griffin get a run on the interchange bench at some stage just to see what he could offer to the team in the NRL
I, like you, did not forget the statement about Joey O made by Talanoa

I lol at the theory he doesn't make hitups coz he passes prior to the line, he had a grand total of 6 touches against Cronulla which means he ran once and shoveled on to the next bloke ineffectively 5 times.........what an impact.

The guy is crap and was an horrendous signing based on the overwhelming evidence of his performances since he left Melbourne.

5. Lachlan Maranta: 13 (100m)

10. Adam Blair: 1 (8m)

:laugh:

I'm not expecting miracles and I am more than willing to give the team time to gel and get better, but this is the type of stuff fans should be able to argue, albeit without going to the extremes we've seen of late...

Parker is a much better prop than Blair, and he is an even better lock, but like last season, it's the way to go until we have someone capable starting next to Moose.
The biggest criticism of him playing prop, was him playing less minutes, because he was still making the metres and the tackles in the front row. He's playing less minutes anyway now.

It's odd. Because I believe if people weren't expecting miracles, they wouldn't be complaining nearly as much as they are. We are in round two. TWO. 2. The second one. Only the second time we've played in this season.

Last year people complained about Parker being put at prop. Now you're suggesting he be put at prop, because he's better than the new guy?

One step backwards to take half a step forward? Waste of time. Parker is better where he is.

Rod Griffin would make more ground than that by three hitups and then make another 20 hit ups.

Last year our pack was considered too small in size, so we go and buy some size in Blair and Gavet. Now instead that we finally have some size in our pack, we want to give a midget a run in the front row instead. How would Rod Griffin go in defence tackling George Burgess is more to the point.

Last year our pack was considered too small in size, so we go and buy some size in Blair and Gavet. Now instead that we finally have some size in our pack, we want to give a midget a run in the front row instead. How would Rod Griffin go in defence tackling George Burgess is more to the point.

He'd probably go like Sam Moa from the Roosters ... very effective.

While we are talking Maranta, he threw some nice passes out of dummy half as well. Maybe he could play hooker

:laugh: No one is getting in the way of Parcell/Nikorima taking that spot. Not even Maranta. Haha.

I see Wallace was overlooked in the team list above. If he continues playing like he did against the sharks he probably deserves to keep his spot. 96m in 32 min. Less tackles than blair though. 1 penalty conceded for the lifting tackle but that should be an easy fix.

Wallace looks far better than last year.

Last edited:
Blair needs time to settle in and be able to find the ball. from what I have seen he is often calling for and running for the ball but it goes to a staple player. it seems he often only gets the ball on set plays, where his job is to pass the pill. He does a lot of work off the ball also. now his running stats have never been great but when he runs he averages over 10 meters a run. What the Broncos need to do is encourage this part of his game (Because it is effective). His defence is solid, he played a huge part in one of the games last year against us where he single headedly smashed our forward pack in D. I remember writing in the live blog. He plays a similar role for NZ and look what they did. Any way I am not going to bag the guy out yet after two games. I look for improvement and the 1% plays from our guys and hopefully Blair can give us closer to the 10 runs a game mark to keep everyone on HQ happy.

I would not call for Griffin in the front row, just as a second rower who would provide numerous energetic hit ups from the twenty minute on. He is an effective defender too. That's the reason I'd like to see him have a blast in first grade .

This statement says a few things- you've watched none of Griffin.

Griffin is 103kg in the ISC media guide, both the players you mentioned are 108 in the NRL media guide. Hardly giant v midget difference.

To base players on weight is just lunacy.

This statement says a few things- you've watched none of Griffin.

Griffin is 103kg in the ISC media guide, both the players you mentioned are 108 in the NRL media guide. Hardly giant v midget difference.

To base players on weight is just lunacy.

Im not basing it on a players weight, im basing it on the players height which was what was made a big deal of. Griffin is 5ft 8 which is pretty small for a front rower whereas someone like George Burgess is 6ft 4. Yeah, the height difference is pretty big and its no surprise that the best front rowers in the game like Graham, Scott, Bromwich, Burgess etc are all atleast 6ft. You just cant beat size in todays game and look at the two best teams in the comp (The Roosters & Rabbitohs) and how their forwards match up. We have one small front rower that battles away in McGuire but he can get rag dolled by some of the bigger forwards at stages.
And then, say if you want to play him in the second row, he is better than the following Thaiday, Gillett, Parker, Oates, & Glenn. If no, he wont get a start anytime soon.

I like passing before the line, but you've got to run the ball as well. 6 runs in 2 games isn't cutting it (it's barely more than Thaiday)...they weren't even effective runs.

Adam Blair warned to pick up his game after going missing in battling Sharks win

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...tling-sharks-win/story-fniabm4i-1227268521345

As Blair prepares to face Cowboys prime mover Matt Scott in Friday night’s blockbuster, the Kiwi Test star is under fire for producing the worst effort by an NRL prop in almost two decades.
Broncos front-row legend Shane Webcke expressed dismay when he learned Blair made one run for a paltry eight metres in Brisbane’s 10-2 defeat of Cronulla last Friday night.
It is the lowest hit-up count by a starting prop since official NRL statistics were recorded in 2002.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett bought Blair to inject some mongrel to his pack, but the 28-year-old was barely sighted in attack on a night where Sharks rival Andrew Fifita charged for 174m.
Brisbane hierarchy noted Blair’s below-par contribution against Cronulla and have challenged him to increase his involvement to spearhead the downfall of a Scott-inspired Cowboys pack.
“Defensively Adam has been good for us, but we are looking for a bit more out of him with his attack,” Broncos assistant coach Kevin Walters said.
“We have raised it with Adam and he is aware of our thoughts.
“Adam is an experienced player, he’s played Test football, but like any player who comes to a new club, it can be hard to find your feet.
“Adam is still trying to fit in at the club. He has been a huge asset for us with his defensive work, but he has a good ‘spin’ on him in attack, so hopefully he can get his hands on the ball a bit more.”

While he made 31 tackles against the Sharks, Blair failed to capitalise on opportunities to impose himself on the Sharks’ defensive line.
During his 41-minute stint, the Broncos had 19 sets in possession. Of Brisbane’s 62 hit-up opportunities, Blair ran the ball just once — the lowest hit-up count since Todd Payten made one hit-up in 38 minutes for Wests Tigers in 2010.
Maroons icon Webcke played 254 games in Brisbane’s engine-room between 1995 and 2006 and believes Blair risks being axed if he fails to perform against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium.
“I had some ordinary games, but I always managed to get past one hit-up,” Webcke said.

“Adam Blair is a good enough player to know that’s an unacceptable stat. I’d suggest to you if he repeats that, he won’t be in the Broncos first-grade side.
“I’m not having a go at Adam, it’s a simple fact. Go-forward is a crucial part of any team and he’s in the Broncos team for that reason.
“Matt Scott is a tough opponent so Adam can’t afford a replication of that effort because it’s not good enough from a Test prop who has been bought to get the Broncos forward.”
Cowboys front-row rival James Tamou warned Blair is ready to hit back to inflict North Queensland’s third consecutive loss.
“Blair will be their main intimidator,” he said. “He’s their front-rower and loves to get into the niggly stuff. I’m expecting him to get stuck into ‘Johnno’, he’s one guy we will be looking out for.”

Last edited:
Someone had to bring it up, I'm glad it's out there now, hopefully Adam comes out and has a blinder against the Cows.

And there were people who actually defended him just because he threw the ball around a bit. Even our halves took more runs than that.

The good thing is that it settles the argument. The Broncos want him to work harder in attack, not that anyone thought that one run was acceptable. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

The good thing is that it settles the argument. The Broncos want him to work harder in attack, not that anyone thought that one run was acceptable. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

And that's the beauty of having WB back in charge, no backslapping saying 'she'll be right next week mate'

It's "pick your game up or you're out of the side" ... exactly what some players need to be told.

I'd expect Blair to have a pretty big game this friday night now.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Wild Horse
  • Mister Wright
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • lynx000
  • Rookie Alan
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.