What Role Should Adam Blair Play In The Team?

Wasn't Garbutt the bloke signed to add some aggression and go forward to the team? In 1910's post in the pre match thread for tommorows game he said that Garbutt made 19 hit ups, 183 meters, made 1 line break, scored a try and made 19 tackles without missing one in a ISC game last weekend I presume.

Far better stuff than what Blair is doing.

Wasn't Garbutt the bloke signed to add some aggression and go forward to the team? In 1910's post in the pre match thread for tommorows game he said that Garbutt made 19 hit ups, 183 meters, made 1 line break, scored a try and made 19 tackles without missing one in a ISC game last weekend I presume.

Far better stuff than what Blair is doing.

1910 will probably dispute this but the ISC is also an inferior competition. The same reason, but not the same extent, that JoO is able to pull those numbers every week yet not be ready for NRL. The other comment 1910 made is that he gets better as the game goes on. However that might not hold true for Garbutt in the NRL where the speed is faster and every moment is crucial and it just saps your energy. Anyone have access to legacy NRL stats for Melbourne last year, specifically Garbutt's minutes and workrate stats?

Blair's role should be cutting the oranges for the under 20's, bloke is a deadset nuffy and comes from a long line of players who looked a million bucks under Bellamy and was almost instantly found out to be nowhere near the player he was in that system.

Blair's role should be cutting the oranges for the under 20's, bloke is a deadset nuffy and comes from a long line of players who looked a million bucks under Bellamy and was almost instantly found out to be nowhere near the player he was in that system.

I agree to a large extent. Lowrie, Anderson, White, and until the Broncos signing I would put Blair in there, and right at the pointy end. It is incredibly hypocritical for me to be speaking positively of Blair, don't think I'm blissfully unaware of that fact. But he didn't just fall in to our lap, Bennett head-hunted him. Actively sought out his services. I have to hope that he sees something that he can work with, that he can make work within the team. With Blair's history at the Storm, coupled with Bennett's public distaste for wrestling & dirty tactics, I can't think it would have been easy for Wayne to warm to Adam. But something at those NZ team sessions caught his eye, and I want to find out what it is. I'd rather be called a hypocrite and a Bennett lover than ever deathride my team.

1910 will probably dispute this but the ISC is also an inferior competition. The same reason, but not the same extent, that JoO is able to pull those numbers every week yet not be ready for NRL. The other comment 1910 made is that he gets better as the game goes on. However that might not hold true for Garbutt in the NRL where the speed is faster and every moment is crucial and it just saps your energy. Anyone have access to legacy NRL stats for Melbourne last year, specifically Garbutt's minutes and workrate stats?

Well if your dominating the ISC you will make it in the NRL, right Palmer Wapau? That ever growing time usage joke aside, as far as Blair goes it's unacceptable for any prop expected to play a long time frame during the game, especially a starting prop not to be making at least 90-100 metres minimum, there is simply no way to defend Blair's effort, I like his defence and ability to offload but that isn't enough, I just hope this kick up the ass pays dividends, I don't expect a miracle turnaround, but a good turnaround would certainly help.

Last edited:
Well if your dominating the ISC you will make it in the NRL, right Palmer Wapau? That ever growing time usage joke aside, as far as Blair goes it's unacceptable for any prop expected to play a long time frame during the game, especially a starting prop not to be making at least 90-100 metres minimum, there is simply no way to defend Blair's effort, I like his defence and ability to offload but that isn't enough, I just hope this kick up the ass pays dividends, I don't expect a miracle turnaround, but a good turnaround would certainly help.

Again, totally agree. I haven't seen a single post that says 1 hit-up is enough, I guess some were more concerned than others that it would become the norm, which the coaching staff has already ruled out if he wants to keep his spot.

And FYI [MENTION=8339]Buzz Killington[/MENTION], I re-read my post, apologies if it sounded like I was criticising you and suggesting you're one of those who wants the team to fail. I was more clarifying my own standpoint as a contrast to the alternative.

I understand the concern surrounding Blair's recruitment and Bennett chased him so that's on his head comes with the territory, same token 2 games it's a tad early to scratch off as a dud recruitment either, at least the response has come early and not the usual last minute affair we have too often become accustomed to for too long.

According to the NRL Season Guide, Garbutt made 6 appearances in 2014, 7 runs per game for 70.4 metres, 19.3 tackles per game, and four offloads. Nothing about minutes played though.

Just for interests sake, Blair played 24, 10.2 runs per game, 85.1 metres, 28.3 tackles, 31 offloads.

Again, totally agree. I haven't seen a single post that says 1 hit-up is enough, I guess some were more concerned than others that it would become the norm, which the coaching staff has already ruled out if he wants to keep his spot.

And FYI @Buzz Killington , I re-read my post, apologies if it sounded like I was criticising you and suggesting you're one of those who wants the team to fail. I was more clarifying my own standpoint as a contrast to the alternative.
The Bennett factor was pushed too hard on both sides of the fence, muddying the water in regards to Blair's performance(s) on their own.

Personally, I have to see it to believe it, as Blair showed nothing more than what he was doing at the Tigers... and I followed him closely due to having him in my SVRL team.

I am glad Kevvie came out with the "public warning", and more so that a legend amongst props like Webcke, didn't mince words on it.

Without Garbutt and Gavet in the team, we need Blair to take the same approach to attack as he does to defense, and put us on the forward foot. McGuire needs all the help he can get.

I'm very sceptical, but hope to be wrong!

P.S. I probably have the stats for Garbutt last year at home. I'll try to remember to post them...

Last edited:
The Bennett factor was pushed too hard on both sides of the fence, muddying the water in regards to Blair's performance(s) on their own.

Personally, I have to see it to believe it, as Blair showed nothing more than what he was doing at the Tigers... and I followed him closely due to having him in my SVRL team.

I am glad Kevvie came out with the "public warning", and more so that a legend amongst props like Webcke, didn't mince words on it.

Without Garbutt and Gavet in the team, we need Blair to take the same approach to attack as he does to defense, and put us on the forward foot. McGuire needs all the help he can get.

I'm very sceptical, but hope to be wrong!

P.S. I probably have the stats for Garbutt last year at home. I'll try to remember to post them...

It's well and good for Kevvie to come out with the public warning about Blair ... but it should be a bit broader.

So Blair - as I actually expect - will come out and do what is expected of him and maybe more. Excellent!

But then, what if the team stands flat, doesn't pass the ball, Milford makes a line break but has no support, no edge runners ready for a good pass, kicks which go down Coote's throat, no creative kicking close to the Cows line and any impact the result of a bit of individual brilliance than good structures and execution.

I'm looking forward to Blair play the house down in attack and defence, I want to see him offload (preferably to Milford) and pass, and I am equally looking forward to Kevvie's game plan which consistently and creatively uses our strengths, unlike in the 1st two games.

I'm not overly concerned with Blair's numbers and think the fans by and large are too obsessed with quantity over quality. Clearly his effort against the Sharks wasn't good enough but I don't think he necessarily played terribly either, it was just a quiet game.

Blair is rarely if ever going to lead the hit-up or tackle counts. That isn't the type of player he is and I'm fine. What I'm concerned about is his ability to control the ruck, pop a offload, throw a well timed pass, come up with a big run with a quick play the ball - all these little plays that make all the difference when you have work-a-holics like Josh McGuire & Corey Parker in your team.

I've got my concerns over his long-term future and think he'll struggle to retain his spot in the starting side. However I'm not going to judge him based on numbers, rather on-field performances.

I feel the need to clarify that I use numbers (stats) as evidentiary facts to support my opinion of the on field performances I've seen, not as basis to form an opinion!

Some people don't, which is a problem.

I look at a player like Jeremy Smith for instance. Now he's a little long in the tooth now but back in say 2009 through to 2012, he was one of the better backrows in the game. The problem was the numbers didn't necessarily reflect that even though if you watched the games you could see the impact he was having.

And that's what I'm looking for in Blair.

It works both ways too. If say Blair runs for over 100m but didn't really make much of an impact, I'm not going to accept it as a good performance.

Public dressing downs are like advertising. You make it all-encompassing, or try to name every product or service, and people glaze over. Instead, pick one vital thing and nail it. It gets more focused attention, but more importantly if there's something related to it that is more relevant to the audience, not only will they still relate it to the ad, but because they "thought of it themselves" they'll own it more.

KFC ad for twisters - I love their nuggets more. **** I want nuggets. Tyre store 4 for the price of 3 - I really need a wheel alignment, I wonder if they have a deal on that. Blair gets chastised - all of a sudden Kahu is making sure his contribution is up there, because even Bennett's prize recruit is being acrutinised, and you better believe that Wallace is eyeing off that starting spot and will be aiming up.

And so it doesn't become monotonous, run similarly specify ads side by side as separate campaigns. KFC twister one ad, family box the next. We've now seen Thaiday, Milford and now Blair given a rocket publicly in 3 weeks.

I'm not overly concerned with Blair's numbers and think the fans by and large are too obsessed with quantity over quality. Clearly his effort against the Sharks wasn't good enough but I don't think he necessarily played terribly either, it was just a quiet game.

Blair is rarely if ever going to lead the hit-up or tackle counts. That isn't the type of player he is and I'm fine. What I'm concerned about is his ability to control the ruck, pop a offload, throw a well timed pass, come up with a big run with a quick play the ball - all these little plays that make all the difference when you have work-a-holics like Josh McGuire & Corey Parker in your team.

I've got my concerns over his long-term future and think he'll struggle to retain his spot in the starting side. However I'm not going to judge him based on numbers, rather on-field performances.

Dare I summise it as "X Factor?"

I feel the need to clarify that I use numbers (stats) as evidentiary facts to support my opinion of the on field performances I've seen, not as basis to form an opinion!

Yeah they should be used in retrospect to inhance what you already have seen.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.