VOTE What should Oates’ long term position be?

What should Oates’ long term position be?

• Total voters
upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Luke Lewis was once a winger folks.

What do you think?

Does Oates stay on the wing forever?

I am a big fan of Corey but sadly I think he should be moved on. Expensive wingers are a luxury and his money could buy a competent halfback. We have solid backup for the wing in Herbie, Perese and Coates and really Oates has left himself open to being left out by stuffing the contract negotiations around. He could have signed a long term contract ages ago. So basically I think he should play whatever position his next club wants him to.

I said wing because that's where we need him to play right now, I don't see him as a centre, and we have plenty of backrow stocks that look to be far better options.

If he applies himself and works to get the dropsies out of his game he could be an all-time Broncos great on the wing. If he wants something other than that I'm happy for him to pursue it elsewhere.

This is going to be the most lopsided poll in BHQ history

@upthebroncs did you just start this poll looking to justify you naming Oates as a starting backrower in your 2020 team

Having never seen him play any other position; having heard Wayne's response to him wanting to shift; having noted him be our leading tryscorer in the position and having witnessed him represent his state and country in that position, I'm opting to keep him on the wing.

Having never seen him play any other position; having heard Wayne's response to him wanting to shift; having noted him be our leading tryscorer in the position and having witnessed him represent his state and country in that position, I'm opting to keep him on the wing.

I know he scores a lot of tries on our left wing. But have we ever considered that maybe left wing is just where we focus our attack towards? All our attacking plays end with a Milford or Boyd pass to Oates on the left. The chances are he’ll score a fair few in a season.

I’d like to have genuine wingers. The Storm having Addo Carr and Vunivalu on their wings makes me so jealous. Wish Bellamy came to the Broncos.

I know he scores a lot of tries on our left wing. But have we ever considered that maybe left wing is just where we focus our attack towards? All our attacking plays end with a Milford or Boyd pass to Oates on the left. The chances are he’ll score a fair few in a season.

I’d like to have genuine wingers. The Storm having Addo Carr and Vunivalu on their wings makes me so jealous. Wish Bellamy came to the Broncos.
Oates' only problem on the wing is having 2 sets of feet. If he actually manages to hold onto the ball, he's as good in attack as any.

Oates' only problem on the wing is having 2 sets of feet. If he actually manages to hold onto the ball, he's as good in attack as any.

He lacks agility and initial burst of speed off the mark. He’s still a good winger.. Don’t get me wrong. He’d just be a great backrower. I’d prefer to have a dynamic backrow of Oates and Fifita.

11. Oates
12. Fifita
13. Pangai

He lacks agility and initial burst of speed off the mark. He’s still a good winger.. Don’t get me wrong. He’d just be a great backrower. I’d prefer to have a dynamic backrow of Oates and Fifita.

11. Oates
12. Fifita
13. Pangai

For mine, it is precisely because he lacks agility that he belongs on the wing

For mine, it is precisely because he lacks agility that he belongs on the wing

Exactly, you rarely have to change directions on the wing, you run in a straight line and barge people over.

His lack of ability to change directions on a dime would be severely exposed in the backrow, especially defensively.

Based on his on-field efforts in 2019, can we please add a fulltime 'Brisbane Radio Personality/Good Guy/Funnyman' option to the poll?

Last edited:
Based on his on-field efforts in 2019, can we please add a fulltime 'Brisbane Radio Personality/Good Guy/Funnyman' option to the poll?

I've just been impressed he's progressed to the point of not needing cue cards to read out his own name.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.