What would you do with Herbie?

What would you do with Herbie now that he signed for Dolphins next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The guy is still in our best 13. He stays in the team, we can't do anything to compromise the season this early.

Anyone calling for him to be dropped is just bitter, that is not how good sides operate and it sets the wrong tone. I don't hate the Cobbo to centre switch but I think he needs a full pre season training there for that to be viable, its not something you do now unless its an absolute emergency. We also have to remember how disrupted Cobbo's season was last year and what's happened off field recently too. He could do with just putting his head down without the added pressure of a new position.

There will be more than enough chances due to injury/form for Mariner to get a run.

Ultimately, I don't think another season at centre for Herbie benefits the Dolphins in any way. Worst case he has a big season and leaves an ever better player, that means he has done great things for us.

The guy is still in our best 13. He stays in the team, we can't do anything to compromise the season this early.

Anyone calling for him to be dropped is just bitter, that is not how good sides operate and it sets the wrong tone. I don't hate the Cobbo to centre switch but I think he needs a full pre season training there for that to be viable, its not something you do now unless its an absolute emergency. We also have to remember how disrupted Cobbo's season was last year and what's happened off field recently too. He could do with just putting his head down without the added pressure of a new position.

There will be more than enough chances due to injury/form for Mariner to get a run.

Ultimately, I don't think another season at centre for Herbie benefits the Dolphins in any way. Worst case he has a big season and leaves an ever better player, that means he has done great things for us.
Yeah I tend to agree. Outside of injuries this season I would hold off shifting Cobbo until next season and do it in a planned approach. As well as telling Mariner that if he does everything right this season that right wing spot is his next year.

He will when we win the Premiership.
I hope he does feel that regret some day. But with the way the Bronco's fortunes have been going the past 5 years, he'll be tasting premiership glory with the Dolphins and the Broncos will be on the outside looking in (as per usual).

It's great to have the Dolphins in the comp but it just creates more opportunities for the Broncos to have their pants pulled down.

Play him at Centre if he's out best option. If we start bombing the season swap him with Mariner or Cobbo to get experience for next year.

I would personally throw Mariner a bigger carrot than ‘24. I’d be telling him, look mate obviously Herbie’s spot is up for grabs and it has your name on it. If you play out of your skin early this season, you won’t even have to wait until ‘24. Then if he tears it up at Q Cup over say the first month, drop Herbie for him.

I would personally throw Mariner a bigger carrot than ‘24. I’d be telling him, look mate obviously Herbie’s spot is up for grabs and it has your name on it. If you play out of your skin early this season, you won’t even have to wait until ‘24. Then if he tears it up at Q Cup over say the first month, drop Herbie for him.
Not convinced Cobbo is entirely broken free of facing more time in Cup.

if it is best to let Mariner, continue his development in the QLD Cup for 2023 ... playing in as the first drop when we lose an outside back. you keep Herbie in the side ... although moving Cobbo to centre (with Herbie taking wing, isn't a bad idea.)

Giving Mariner a bit more baking time in the QLD cup isn't the worst idea either. we just need to reassure him that he'll get first chance to replace Herbie in 2024.
Agreed @Foordy pretty much what I was trying to say :)

Not convinced Cobbo is entirely broken free of facing more time in Cup.

Yeah the kid has everything to make him a gun. Probably should've spent another season in Qcup to make him 100% ready, because there's certain elements in his game that aren't and ideally you don't want those trying to be corrected in first grade, but for Kev to drop him would take some massive balls especially after how much the podcast thing got play in the media

Cobbo just needs to fix his hands. Easier said than done but if he does so, he’ll be one of the best players in the comp. The ingredients are there but is the work ethic?

I would release him immediately if it means we free up 500k, give Carrigan an upgrade on the proviso he extends with the money saved, promote Mariner to the top 30.

If he's staying (which I'd be happy with), I'd want to see him moved to wing, I reckon his game is great for it and Cobbo moved to centre.
Boy I am glad this is not the approach of our management. Why on earth would you entertain a release for this year. We basically have 12 months of a market rated 800k player @ half the price. Mariner might be next in line but he's clearly behind Herby at the moment. The Broncos should push hard this year to reward the loyal fans. Releasing Fleg or Farnworth is not going to be an option.

Well, first of all no player leaving to another club at the termination of their contract should be punished or persecuted in any way. We're above low class, petty cuntery like that. But, there's no point in investing in their growth beyond what can be immediately realized.

To that end, if we think Herbie has the makings of a "gun" centre, but he's not quite there yet, we shouldn''t be treading water waiting for it to happen if he's ripe to go elsewhere. And we could invest in our long term future like Cobbo or Mariner. Or someone who's ready now like Arthars.

On the other hand, while I think Herbie isn't the attacking centre I'd like him to be, he might be the best all-round centre when you take into account his work rate in all aspects of the role. But, that's assuming he'll continue that work rate now he no longer has the incentive.

So I'm inclined to leave him where he is for the opening rounds, but look at gravitating his successor into centre. While Cobbo is definitely an upgrade ball in hand, he's got to hang onto it first. Herbie has safer hands, is more trustworthy in defence and is less likely to slack off.

On a more bonkers note, while I think Herbie's better suited to the wing, his style of play screams second row to me. He could be the next David Fifita the way he runs. If I were coach, I'd swap him for Riki. But obviously, that's not even remotely on the cards.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lurker
  • broncsgoat
  • azza.79
  • HarryAllan7
  • BooKhaki
  • Horseheadsup
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Skathen
  • Bish
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.