What's up?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Morkel, Sep 15, 2013.

1. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

My partner unfortunately copped it the worst, she teaches prep at a state school in Townsville that was wrecked, she lost everything, years of work and thousands of dollars. I don’t know how she hasn’t had a nervous breakdown. Strong women are a blessing.

I don’t mean to keep going on about it, like I said I haven’t fully processed it. Sort of disappointed my extended family hasn’t reached out to lend an ear.

2. Morkel

Morkel

Spill your guts mate. We may not be able to physically help but there are plenty of good people to lean on if you need an ear.

abashii, soup and ChewThePhatt like this.
  3. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

No worries mate, glad to hear you are getting things sorted. Certainly after hearing peoples stories and seeing the damage done, especially things like all that raw sewerage going through people's home, it puts things into perspective when it comes to people doing it tough. You probably already know, but there is a State Gov as well as a Commonwealth Gov relief payment available, also a separate disaster relief discretionary fund that can be accessed by those affected. If you need any further info, or to be set up in the EHAR gov system for any type of relief assistance, just say the word fella.

Had a chat with Peter Parr from the cowgirls, seemed like a nice genuine fella. Quite a few of the cowboys players live in Idalia, one of the worst affected areas/suburbs, so their houses were affected also. Apparently the whole suburb/estate is built on an old swamp area or something like that so was no surprise when it went under.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Cheers! Our house had sewerage through it. Our cat had to survive for two days without us, my kids were very stressed but it all worked out I guess. We are alive, we are together, roof over our heads.

Thanks pal. Its probably just compounded by my injury, feelings of uselessness, guilt about being ineffectual etc. I saw the absolute best and worst of people in the last week. Really made me realise the extent of control over our lives is largely an illusion. Your entire world can flip in the space of a day.

The people were amazing here, endless offers of help. But boy do I hate Townsville, can’t wait to leave. Going from droughts to floods is fucked. Plus Cowboys.

abashii, ningnangnong, soup and 3 others like this.
  5. Getting sober...
    Week one done & dusted. **** what a week! I think it's about 5yrs since I've lasted this long. The body is starting to feel good & my head space is strong & positive.
    Next major goal is 3 weeks. I got this.
    One day at a time.

abashii, Strop, holdzy89 and 4 others like this.
  6. Morkel

Morkel

I hate to ask @holdzy89@holdzy89 ... insurance cover it?

7. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

So, I think this is where we put our money where our mouth is. Who’s keen to contribute?

I’ll start up a fundraiser page tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  8. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Nah mate. No insurance. We were renting, no contents insurance or anything. As always seems to happen, I’ve heard horror stories about people trying to claim insurance. Our real estate acted concerned at first, and then half way during the first recovery week we were told to get our stuff out or they would move it to the front yard and charge it from our bond. My whole suburb basically has half their homes contents sitting on their front lawn.

9. Real Estate Agents... the real scum of the world I tell ya!

abashii likes this.
  10. Morkel

Morkel

As in, you have contents insurance but it doesn’t cover floods? Or no insurance at all?

it probably doesn’t feel like it, but I guess there is some comfort in the fact that you were renting. There are going to be a shitload of people who have mortgages on a house that needs to be demolished and rebuilt, who will be hundreds of thousands of dollars worse off.

It doesn’t bring back your belongings, or the memories they hold, but it’s something.

11. Did you know that the laws they operate under for contracts are covered by the used motor dealer legislation?

Goes a long way to explaining why they are so **** useless. I have to breach ours today.

abashii and Porthoz like this.
  12. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

No insurance. Yeah there is not much comfort in that thought unfortunately, you always rationalise these things with the knowledge it could be worse.

Beds, drawers, couches etc can be replaced, the heartbreaking thing is the baby books and sentimental things that are gone for good.

Anyway, things are improving, my ankles are getting better and the kids are back at school. We will get there.

13. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

Stopped at a secluded beach's carpark tonight to chuck some rubbish into the council bin. There was a woman parked there reading a book in her car right in front of the bin. As I got out of my car and started walking over to the bin she locked her doors.

I feel like the biggest creep.

14. Maybe she was just shocked and horrified that you were actually using the bin provided and thought that was weird. A lot of people would of just thrown the rubbish out the window.

Porthoz and soup like this.
  15. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

You’re a rapist, just like the rest of us males. Sucks, but that’s what the 24/7 news cycle has created, along with a world full of Daniel Morcombe pedaphiles, stopping our kids from walking home from school or riding their bikes in the neighbourhood. It’s trully fucked.

Huge likes this.
  16. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    **** guys. When that chick got raped and murdered in a park, you all carried on about how she shouldn't have put herself in that situation.

Now that a lady takes measures to be safe, you bitch about that too.

17. I'd probably lock the doors if I saw some weird **** lurching towards my car in an empty car park as well lol.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Porthoz and Tom like this.
  18. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

To be clear, I wasn't bitching about it. I had a chuckle to myself.

19. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

I’m not bitching about it, I’m more saying that we live in a world of fear, and it sucks.

20. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

Probably waiting for her dealer

Jedhead likes this.