What's up?

roo-ted

NRL Player
I am currently feeling like a 70 year old after getting back on the tools as a chippy, after 3 years working behind a desk. Got to say though it’s nice not having to deal with people as much

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Mmm, off the plan in Musgrave Street. Unobstructed views north, east, south and part West. Balcony wraps around. Million and small change. Faces due East,beach across road. Can't be built in.
Pricey? Ocean view? I have always liked Kirra. It's far enough away from Coolongatta as well.

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
Mmm, off the plan in Musgrave Street. Unobstructed views north, east, south and part West. Balcony wraps around. Million and small change. Faces due East,beach across road. Can't be built in.
That's a good price considering it's location. Nothing beats ocean side living.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Just spent the day laying down turf in my brothers yard. He just had his house built and needed to lay down grass.

I've heard there's stuff you can put on it to keep it looking real green and lush, does anyone know what the best stuff is and the approximate cost of it?

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Just spent the day laying down turf in my brothers yard. He just had his house built and needed to lay down grass.

I've heard there's stuff you can put on it to keep it looking real green and lush, does anyone know what the best stuff is and the approximate cost of it?
NPK. Or other slow release nitrogen based fertilizers.

soup

State of Origin Rep
NPK. Or other slow release nitrogen based fertilizers.
The single most important thing to lay before turf in a granular preemergent fertiliser. It kills weed seeds as they germinate. I use Oxafert. None better.

Be aware that this is the worst time of year to lay grass. Don’t add too much fertiliser and instead opt for soil conditioners like Seasol (Seaweed Secrets is better and cheaper), soil wetter, and water crystals (preferably laid before the turf).

Don’t stress if in two weeks it looks like shit. Just keep the water up to it.

Also, too much water will kill it. Put some shot glasses out on the grass and if you are using sprinklers, stop when they are full. Do this twice a week max.

Good luck and happy to help. I’m an Aussie Lawn Fanatics Addict but also have done all the academic study.

BTW, what breed is the turf?

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Also be aware of lawn grubs. If there’s patches that go brown, it’s likely African Black Beetle and it’s easily treated with the red Richgrow lawn grub spray at you hardware store. You need to apply it first, then three weeks later to break the breeding cycle.

Also, at this time of year, don’t cut it for like 4-6 weeks

soup

State of Origin Rep
Oh, and while I think of it, add medium grain washed river sand to the joins of where the turf meets up. Washed meaning it has no weed seeds.

Any questions, hit me up. I’m a lawn fanatic.

soup

State of Origin Rep
These are the only websites you need for lawn gear:

Plantdoctor.com.au
Lawnpride.com.au

If he wants 20% discounts, hit me up.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Oh, get a PH tester kit from your hardware store. Test the soil and add liquid gypsum or lime to adjust.

You want around 6.8ish.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Another great thing to do in a month is to put a pitch fork into it about 10cm deep at 10cm intervals. This allows water and nutrients into the subsoil. Hard hacker though.

soup

State of Origin Rep

The best stuff is called Maintain. Sportsflex is also incredible and used on golf courses. You’ll find these products on the URL’s I posted. Just don’t fertilise until late August. You’ll likely burn it. Iron is another great greener. Just do NOT use Urea. It’s like steroids and eventually is more harm than good.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter