When Wayne Bennett goes.....

barker

barker

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Well we're all pretty excited with the Broncos this year. They're playing great football, the new recruits are fitting in better than we'd ever hoped and Israel Folau is coming next year. Can life as a Bronco supporter get any better right now?

Well I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the departure of Wayne Bennett at the end of the season. I know it had to happen some time and things were starting to go a bit sour between him and the Broncos Board but gosh he's going to be hard to replace. I'm not talking about his coaching skills but his 'man management' skills. I don't think anyone in Australian sport has the same sort of skills Wayne Bennett has. Not only that, Bennett has an amazing team of people behind him...the trainers, the strength & fitness coaches, the development & recruitment officers, physios and lots more.

What I'm REALLY worried about is that Bennett might take a lot of these people with him when he goes. We all know that coaches like to take a lot of their own people when they go to a new team but I really hope the Broncos management make sure they keep the staff they have ESPECIALLY the strength & fitness guys. I know Dean Benton has gone but whoever they have in place now has done a superb job this year. I don't think I 've ever seen the Broncos look so fit (even Ben Hannant LOL).

While not on the topic of the fitness trainers etc, i cant really see any negatives coming from this...

As far as I can see, since the issues with bennet began (rumours of him taking money, talk of unrest in the board etc) we have signed Wallace, Clinton, Sims, PJ Marsh and now folau. Coincidence that when a coach that has openly admitted to not wanting to buy players is rumoured to be stepping down the club suddenly is open to the idea of looking elsewhere for players? I think not. Bringing wallace, clinton, sims and marsh to the club are a result of finally getting rid of the old and boring at the club, and bringing in a new era. Whatever next years brings, its going to be exciting. Hopefully he will take some players with him, namely michaels, stagg and perry.

Interesting theory Crocker. Pity reading the article today that Folau only came to the Broncos after Wayne spoke to him and his manager last year and said there's always a place at the Broncos if he wants to come home. Bennett's never been against recruiting players from other clubs to fill a requirement, he just prefers to develop home grown talent if there's a viable option there. He also doesn't refuse to talk to players who want to come and play for Brisbane (Luke Priddis, Ben Ikin, Kevin Campion, Michael Ennis...)

Change inherently is neither positive or negative. It's how that change is received and adapted to that determines the outcome.

I don't thnk the coaching staff will all go with Bennett, particularly if Ivan Henjak is an interim coach until Bellamy comes in 2010. The coaching structure won't change at all if that's the case.

What Bennett has done in the past 21 years is establish the culture within the club. That culture won't change overnight, and I doubt any incoming coach would be brave enough to decide that a team that's won 6 premierships and made the finals every year since 1992 needs a drastic change.

It's exciting, I can't wait to see what the future brings.

Coxy said:
Interesting theory Crocker. Pity reading the article today that Folau only came to the Broncos after Wayne spoke to him and his manager last year and said there's always a place at the Broncos if he wants to come home.

Coxy, this is exactly the sort of man management skill I'm talking about with Wayne Bennett. How often have we read about some player (maybe not even a Broncos player) who phoned him for advice? A lot of people would walk over hot coals to play for or work with Bennett and I think he's going to want to set up his own team at St George. That could really white ant the Broncos system.

The other thing is how many young players are going to want to follow Bennet to St George now. Maybe not the older established players but the young kids just coming into the system. I'm sure a lot of kids only signed with Brisbane because they (and their parents) wanted them to be coached by Wayne Bennett. Dave Taylor comes to mind here and I fear that he may be exactly the sort of player that will want to follow Bennett to St George.

Why all this is true Barker it can't be helped, or even stopped. The Broncos management can limit it by signing a quality coach, although Henjak is still one of the best options, because I never thought Bellamy would come back to the Broncos.

Of course there is negatives to come out of Bennett leaving.
We will not have players wanting to come here for the coach alone.
Clinton said he did and now he has just learnt so much from the guy in such a short time and is grabbing every bit of knowledge he can from WB while he has the chance.
Wallace said he hasnt seen his Dad for years and Wayne feels already that father figure he has missed(excuse me if I have the wrong player)

Had he just taken a job in league doing something towards footy I personally would have felt much better as he would still have had contact with our boys.No more,Not after todays crap news. [icon_thumbs_do

It would be only natural guys will want to follow WB, thats life and we will just have to deal with it and move on.

Don't forget that we have a great organisation who have supported WB in bringing players through to fulfil their potential. The Broncos are known as club that makes player better and this will be the attraction.

Some will go, but most will stay as can't see most who are Qlders wanting to go live in Sydney, but then again whoever comes in will no doubt bring some of his own in. I know Bellyache's head trainer is a Brissie boy and Thommo wants to return to Qld soon, not saying he will be our coach though of course. [icon_wink

I'm hoping most, if not all the current staff stay on. As has been said, all areas of our game have gone up a notch, particularly general fitness. Didn't see it myself, but apparently FSN reported that Wayne would be taking a heap of staff with him. Surely the club will do everything they can to keep the place as settled as possible though.

Active Now

• Browny
  • RolledOates
  • phoenix
  • Foordy
  • NSW stables
  • sooticus
  • Mr Fourex
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  • HarryAllan7
  • Strop
  • Rowdy124
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.