• No train, no pay

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Sack manager

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Youth dentention centre

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • 3am visit from Shane Webke

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Real estate with his agent (who is now banned)

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Basically just get fucked

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
And yet he’s willing to go into a meeting with his family on the same day to formalise terms already agreed to with a former manager who he decides to sack on the morning of said contract signing.

I mean unless you are a moron, it doesn’t take much to realise this document he’s talking about didn’t just materialise from thin air.

I mean, seriously, who goes in to sign a contract without already knowing the primary details? It isn’t like he was on his own here, he had family with him.

You honestly believe he was blindsided in all of this despite being the one to instigate sacking of a manager, etc?

Again it is all he said, she said. You guys position us as saying we think the club has no blame, we aren’t saying that. What we are saying is that under this regime and given all the circumstantial evidence, we are willing to side with the club.

You guys are saying given what Kylo is saying and given something happened with Sam years ago under a different regime, and because we get yet another reason to pile on Kevvie, it is primarily the club’s fault.

The reality is, the kid signed a contract, we had clearly delivered on something and then another club came in coupled with a new manager telling him he could get more money elsewhere and suddenly he is agitating for a release.

The only confirmed thing I think the club did wrong here is accepting / asking for his signature while manager-less and I doubt they’ll make that mistake again.

However, I also wouldn’t be surprised to find out they said to this kid, hey let’s wait until you have a new manager and this kid and his family pushed to get it done and then suddenly, the story has changed. This part though is pure conjecture on my end and I could totally be wrong but I also think our club is on the up, so I’m willing to accept failings under a prior regime are not to be held against a totally new regime…unless Karl Morris was involved.
Let me just be clear on my actual position instead of you saying what I think or am saying.

Here are the facts with all “he said she said removed”.

1. We had one of the best young players in the comp coming through our development program
2. Now we don’t

That’s it at its simplest. Where does fault lie? Somewhere in the middle probably but we will never know. Could Kev had done more? I don’t know, none of us were there. Same for Ikin, Dave, Scanlon, Ballen and anyone else.

Does the club improve by blaming Karl? No. Does the club have the potential to improve if they take full responsibility for what has occurred (fair or unfair) and explore measures to ensure they don’t lose their next investments? Yes.

Do I know wether or not the club is doing this? No

Does that mean I can’t express that imo this is the best mentality regarding the situation? No

I have honestly had enough of seeing this guys name come up. He's gone good luck and good riddance. Let's leave it at that, he's none of of concern amymore and move on.

bullshit we have 2 posters on this forum that are reliable sources ut certain people don't want to listen.
That's nice of you to say that, but even I wouldn't consider myself a reliable source.

We don't know if the line about him wanting to play in one position and the club forcing him to play in another is genuine, but that would have to be the easiest persuasion of any obstacle. Like I said, bring someone like Wally and Locky into the room. Show him how you can start in one position, move to another and end up with statues of yourself outside the stadium.

Surely, if they tell him the best way for him to break into the team is to come from the bench as a utility and that would require him mastering both dummy half and the halves, and preparing his body for defence (one of the main reasons he's in demand). Then it's just a matter of proving he should be the first pick.

Is an eighteen year old kid really going to care about what Wally Lewis has to say? Does Wally even want to act in that role for the club? And Locky isn't much better - Karl would have been, what, seven when Locky retired (and not even born when he was playing fullback)? If he had an idol, it was probably more likely to have been Thurston or Slater or Smith or some other club's player who was a star in the 2010s. The Milf, maybe, but he'd just say come to Redcliffe, they have a sick Maccas just down the road.

I don't think we can count on the leverage of former greats - we need to sell what the club can do for the player now, and it seems like what a lot of these players want now is a guaranteed first grade jersey, with their number of choice on the back. If that's not the type of player the club wants, then I have no issue with them cutting ties. Sometimes it works out for the best - look at Walsh. Sometimes it bites you a little - look at Dearden. Who knows what Karl will be - but he won't be a Bronco, that much seems certain. I'm content to keep players like Mam and Mozer, who appear to be happy to embrace the vision, and wait their turn.

No one is saying that. None of us know the story, and the meme about it all being a greedy manager was made up in here by disgruntled fans and is now presented like canon. Maybe it's true, but don't pretend it's the whole picture.

The current indignity is that a few of us aren't reflexively dissing Denan Kemp - one of the the club's most vocal fans - for him saying things don't seem quite right there.
I didn't diss Kempy, I said I love his podcast but was disappointed with the handling of that discussion.

The Cows also just lost their brightest young half prospect to the Dogs. Do you suspect that is because the Cows didn’t consider the player’s best interests as well?
Who? As far as I know they actually held onto Tom Duffy despite the Bulldog's advances.
What I would like to know is who has apparently promised him a starting spot, this part I don’t believe. And if they did want him to become a 9 or 13, I’m ok with that, Mam looks our future in the 6, maybe even 7. Kylo by his own admission was unwilling to do what the team wanted, again alarm bells about his attitude. It isn’t like the club hadn’t outlined their planned pathway for him, they clearly had and he didn’t like it.
Karl never said anything about being a starting six. He said he expected to be in the Top 30 and that he'd get to play in his preferred position five-eighth. This suggests to me he expected to be a backup half which is what his role will be at Canterbury. I don't think it inspires much confidence when you say 'yep we really rate you, now we're going to change the way you play and turn you into a forward'. Maybe his long term position is 13, but you cross that bridge when you get to it.
1910 said they were cleared of any wrong doing, so yes they were cleared
I respect 1910, but until the NRL clears the team publically it's just another barrier that colours the perception of the club.

Who? As far as I know they actually held onto Tom Duffy despite the Bulldog's advances.

Karl never said anything about being a starting six. He said he expected to be in the Top 30 and that he'd get to play in his preferred position five-eighth. This suggests to me he expected to be a backup half which is what his role will be at Canterbury. I don't think it inspires much confidence when you say 'yep we really rate you, now we're going to change the way you play and turn you into a forward'. Maybe his long term position is 13, but you cross that bridge when you get to it.

I respect 1910, but until the NRL clears the team publically it's just another barrier that colours the perception of the club.
if you respect him then read his posts.
he stated that broncos considered karl as a 6 hence the reason of letting gray go , he also mentioned that karl impressed at 13 which is why they thought he could be a 13

also when do the NRL actually publicly clear shit like this? it's in multiple articles stating that they have cleared us , so why is it so hard to believe.

Does the NRL really need to clear the Broncos?

The Broncos made an official, public statement saying the NRL had cleared their processes. The NRL has not refuted that and, in all likelihood, hasn’t given this matter a second thought since the Broncos made said statement. Conversely, if it weren’t true, you better believe the NRL would have made a statement saying as much.

Honestly, other than a handful of people on this forum that can’t seem to move on; I doubt anyone, including all the parties involved as well as fans of other clubs are even thinking about this.

Does the NRL really need to clear the Broncos?

The Broncos made an official, public statement saying the NRL had cleared their processes.
Correct.

if you respect him then read his posts.
he stated that broncos considered karl as a 6 hence the reason of letting gray go , he also mentioned that karl impressed at 13 which is why they thought he could be a 13

also when do the NRL actually publicly clear shit like this? it's in multiple articles stating that they have cleared us , so why is it so hard to believe.
That was the fan perception when Gray signed with Souths, but Karl may have received mixed messages when he needed a stronger vision.

Which articles? From what I read, the media reported the Broncos claimed they had been cleared. This was disputed by the NRL Salary Cap auditor in the Mole's follow-up article.
The NRL has not refuted that
Yes they did in the Mole's response.

The NRL doesn't have to make a public announcement, but by making it private there is still this perception that Brisbane conducted themselves unprofessionally and exploited the young talent.

The only evidence to refute that is a poster on a Brisbane Broncos message board. Yet fans are confused why the media aren't taking sides or why some fans are asking questions of the club.

The only evidence to refute that is a poster on a Brisbane Broncos message board.
I've been identified as not a reliable source of information, but here's my take:

1. Broncos issued an official press release saying they'd been cleared by NRL. Here's what Simon Scanlan said:

""Both the NRL and RLPA have reviewed the situation at the request of the player agent and no wrongdoing by the club was found".​
2. In response the Mole, posted a followup with a quote from NRL salary cap auditor Matthew Faulkner:
"We are still looking into the matter; no final determination has been made."​
That's all we know about the matter. But:

1. The Broncos never withdrew or corrected their initial press release. Which tells me the NRL did clear them, but perhaps it was a verbal acknowledgement rather than some official ruling.

2. The NRL never publicly commented on the subject other than that one auditor. They never forced the Broncos to retract their statement.

3. Oloapu is gone, his dowry having been paid, which suggests his attempts to sever the contract on the basis of misrepresentation failed.

4. The Dolphins were specifically barred from signing him, suggesting Wayne did have a meddling hand in it.

But never mind all that, as Denan Kemp said and @theshed keeps saying, the bigger issue is how it got to this point with a player they wanted to keep.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • barker
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • RodF
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.