PLAYER Payne Haas

Payne Haas:

“I wouldn’t say I have an itch to leave. I don’t even know where the European rugby rumour came from, I don’t know how that came out. Europe is pretty cool, but I’m not worried about that. I have goals I want to tick off here in the NRL. I played rugby as a kid, but I’m not sure about going overseas, I’m enjoying my time playing rugby league."​
“I am happy at the Broncos. My family live here on the Gold Coast and my preference is to stay at the Broncos, I will say that, but things happen in rugby league and I have to sort that out."​
“I’m only 22 and people forget I’m still young, so I’m learning my trade here and I want to tick some goals off first.”​
“I guess with what happened that week asking for a release, I understood why being booed happened. It’s all good. I can understand why the fans were like that. I’m not angry at them, it is what it is and I’ve moved on from that.”​
“I can’t change what happened. I am happy here. We have put talks on the backburner until the end of the year and we will see what happens. I am close to the boys and I’m enjoying my football here, so at the end of the year hopefully we can sort something out.”​
“Melbourne are the benchmark and to have a game like this will help us a lot. Just putting in a good performance against a top-four team isn’t good enough anymore, so we need to beat Melbourne this week. We have to prove it to each other. It’s a big end of season for us and the top eight isn’t guaranteed for us, so the next three weeks, we need to be up for it.”​
It just frustrates me that players agitate for releases when they think they're being hard done by. Clubs can't say we signed you for a mill and you're crappola so we'll only pay you 400K.

I have goals I want to tick off here in the NRL.

spoken like a true mercenary. Expect him to leave.

Payne Haas:

“I wouldn’t say I have an itch to leave. I don’t even know where the European rugby rumour came from, I don’t know how that came out. Europe is pretty cool, but I’m not worried about that. I have goals I want to tick off here in the NRL. I played rugby as a kid, but I’m not sure about going overseas, I’m enjoying my time playing rugby league."​
“I am happy at the Broncos. My family live here on the Gold Coast and my preference is to stay at the Broncos, I will say that, but things happen in rugby league and I have to sort that out."​
“I’m only 22 and people forget I’m still young, so I’m learning my trade here and I want to tick some goals off first.”​
“I guess with what happened that week asking for a release, I understood why being booed happened. It’s all good. I can understand why the fans were like that. I’m not angry at them, it is what it is and I’ve moved on from that.”​
“I can’t change what happened. I am happy here. We have put talks on the backburner until the end of the year and we will see what happens. I am close to the boys and I’m enjoying my football here, so at the end of the year hopefully we can sort something out.”​
“Melbourne are the benchmark and to have a game like this will help us a lot. Just putting in a good performance against a top-four team isn’t good enough anymore, so we need to beat Melbourne this week. We have to prove it to each other. It’s a big end of season for us and the top eight isn’t guaranteed for us, so the next three weeks, we need to be up for it.”​
The only reason he would ever ask for a release is if he got another offer elsewhere, I think it's very likely to be Rugby, because NRL clubs have moles for the media everywhere and that info would always find a way to be leaked.

Payne Haas:

As a fan I couldn’t give a shit if you are angry at us or not Payne, what an odd think to say.

As a fan I couldn’t give a shit if you are angry at us or not Payne, what an odd think to say.
Remember, we're talking about NRL players here.. you know, the ones who somehow routinely become the victims in the wake of their foul-ups ?

Found out one of my coworkers knows a lot of the players around that early 20s age like through a lesser player that hasn't really made it to first grade but came through with them. The way she understands it, Payne doesn't particularly want to leave (they all sort of want to stay together), and it really is his management trying to push him. Also Payne pretty much has to look after his entire family, so he'll try to do what they want as well.

Found out one of my coworkers knows a lot of the players around that early 20s age like through a lesser player that hasn't really made it to first grade but came through with them. The way she understands it, Payne doesn't particularly want to leave (they all sort of want to stay together), and it really is his management trying to push him. Also Payne pretty much has to look after his entire family, so he'll try to do what they want as well.
There's always going to be rumours around star players, if he leaves see ya later but I think it's pretty obvious he plays like he loves the club. You don't put in the performances he does if you wanted out.

Honestly, I'd love to keep him, him and Carrigan can be the two best front rowers in the game, Haas is only 22, in prop years he's a baby, he'll only get better.

Either way, I think Ikin and DD are the two best people in the game to manage this, if he stays it's because they want him around and if they want him around, I can't fault their judgement, they've been spot on since they arrived.

I've been filthy with him since the 'immediate release' saga. After watching that video though, I'm starting to soften.
It 'is' easy to forget how young he is & just how toxic the dickheads in his management corner are.
After watching that, he does seem like a genuinely good person.
Family first.
Just focusing on playing finals footy with my Bros.

I'm coming around.

JWH, Lodge, Collins and Haas as your middle rotation, nothing to see here.

Remember they offloaded Verrills, so there is 1.5 million right there.
I heard someone try and argue unironically, I think it was on NRL 360, that they are freeing up space for Smith, Walker, etc by letting Verrills and blokes like Volkman go (can't remember who the other players were, but they were all fringe first graders that'd be on min wage). It's beyond a meme at this point.

Fox Sports had this story:

“In 2022 they have got Tedesco on $1.1m, Luke Keary on $850,000, Joseph Manu ($720k), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves ($700k), Angus Crichton ($700k), Sio Siua Taukeiaho ($625k) and Victor Radley ($510k) for a total of $5,205,000. The cap in 2021 is only $9.4 million so there is a lot of under paid players there. The problem for the Roosters is next year they have got to chuck Brandon Smith into that and you have also got to throw Joseph Suaalii into that who is on $700,000 next year.”
Paul Kent questioned how the Roosters can pay the other 23 players in their squad less than half of what their seven highest paid stars earn. “How do you get 23 more players in on $4.2 million?” Kent asked. “That is a lot of money in seven players.”
“Angus Crichton is not on that list and his contract hasn’t been registered yet for 2023, so if you put Angus Crichton in you are going up to nearly $6 million,” Rothfield said. “I spoke to Nick Politis today and his position on the salary cap is this. Boyd Cordner was medically retired which took $720,000 out of their salary cap. There were some minor players they let go in Sam Verills, Ronald Volkman, Lachlan Lam, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Daniel Suluka-Fifita went to Souths. So they have lost probably $1.5 million with those players including Taukeiaho. I still think it is going to be a squeeze, without setting alarm bells for their players or fans I think there are a few that are going to have to be tapped.”

Salary sombrero in full swing?

He understands that his manager works for HIM right? I know he isn’t a member of MENSA but he should still be able to grasp that.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.